Which Leader Pissed You Off Today?

Today its Rome. Using England, he forward settles on me, blocking any south or southeast expansion, only options are north coast. Every city I drop, he gets mad for too close.

Last night I found Auckland first and there was an early quest I got. I then diverted civic to get an extra envoy an viola... size of Auckland early.... but

Hojo comes and takes them.... So I get pissed and free them from hojo's grasp

I am now Suze again..... but

3 turns later Hojo drops 3 in there.... I am not sure which one of us is pissed the most.

Maybe I should take Auckland, give it to Hojo and then liberate it... maybe then he will get the idea.

Last edited:
Bully for you for creating this thread, thanks for keeping the peace on the forums!

Seriously, is there anyone worse??

Bully for you for creating this thread, thanks for keeping the peace on the forums!

Seriously, is there anyone worse??

What's the problem with him liking you?

Not you, agonistes, lol

What's the problem with him liking me?

Three turns later, this:

"...but your idea of peace has left me no choice...." :rolleyes:

You could of course accept the friendship, then improve the luxery resource twice and trade your second copy away to him for some gpt before the friendship expires. Gives you something like 5 gpt for 30 turns, which in the early game matters quite a bit, while also keeping him friendly.

I never accept friendships until I have all my cities planted. I have found you are just inviting a forward settle otherwise.

Also, I don't understand what you mean about improving the luxury 'twice'.

I never accept friendships until I have all my cities planted. I have found you are just inviting a forward settle otherwise.

Also, I don't understand what you mean about improving the luxury 'twice'.

I've never noticed a correlation between accepting early friendship and the AI forward settling me. But even if not - I don't know about you, but I don't want to fight Eagle Warriors in the ancient era.

Monty is the worst early neighbor in the game, and the only AI I will take early DOF with, for that reason. I've gotten swarmed quickly by masses of Eagles otherwise.

I've never noticed a correlation between accepting early friendship and the AI forward settling me. But even if not - I don't know about you, but I don't want to fight Eagle Warriors in the ancient era.

I have. Noticed one.

Either some civs get randomly (or have a % chance) flagged, or just have that personality, but a few dof points I've seen:

Dof will be followed by settlers. I tsl Russia a lot, and Poland and Greece love to do this. Scythia doesn't bother, just scoots right up. Norway settles 1, then dows. These are majority actions, not every game.

Dof indicates a troop build up for war. Rome and Germany love to do this. With Rome, I've found I can extend peace by refusing the dof.

The AI does indeed use DOF to send in the apostle and settles and scouts... and why not, feel free to do the same, that's what a dof is for.

On the settling note... you get -3 for settling near them but this degrades 1/10 starting 30 turns after the settle. But also 30'turns after the settle if you kept your promise you get +4 degrading a point every 15 turns. So I DOF ,settle, promise not to do it again and know I will be better off diplomatically than if I did not settle.

You need to assess the strength of your troops as this puts them off a bit and also if your city has walls and if the civ is adjacent to you. A civ can just decide it needs to expand and will DOW you regardless if there is nowhere else to go.

I have plenty of friends and allies but it is a matter of choosing the right ones, find a group that like each other that dislike who you are adjacent to is best.

Today it's Ashoka, with his large horde of Varu. Just roll over and die, you worthless City-State. ;)

Funny, Ajatasattu's horde of Varu tried to get cute on me just now, and he is getting ready to become a worthless City-State as well.... :D

"I have led a life taking refuge in dharma. I will be reborn in heavenly happiness." Yeah, whatever. Buh-bye.

Last edited:
Today its Freddy. Playing as Teddy, had a nice friendship going. Made lots of trades, had open borders, relationship meter was almost full. Then Surprise War. He took Chicago from me, as it had just been placed a few turns earlier. I got my full military might after him. Reclaimed Chicago, then took 4 straight cities, including Aachen. Meanwhile Alexander is very peaceful on my eastern border. Got to watch him. Freddy's on the ropes, he has 3 cities left, none with walls yet, and no visible military. I've not met anybody else, and Alex loves me being at war with Freddy.

Top Bottom