Which map types do you play and why?

Blitz Spearman

Warlord
I never know what type to set when I want to have just a plain balanced game. I played with Fractal for a long time because the randomness felt more "fair". But Fractal sometimes does horrible things like putting a civ alone in a mini-continent and the other 7 in a pseudo-pangaea. Continents is fine, but sometimes feel too easy because it makes early warfare as good as it was in G&K (if you start with just one or two neighbours and crush them early game, the other civs might hate you but won't attack you overseas until late game). Pangaea... I don't know, seems fine in theory but I never liked it much.

I prefer ocean based maps as it feels more "real" as in the AI will expand and eventually the whole map WILL be covered and you have a nice earth-lookin' political map.

I play usually Pangeas as I find Water-Game redundant.

Fractal, is nice, and in Hotseat I might just try it

Terra is weird because it's larger than the actual size, and I can't play it in Hotseat.

Overall. yeah, I just stick to Fractal and Pangea usually.

I play standard continents exclusively. Huge makes turns too long and small makes wonders feel too easy. Continents is to balance out the various naval affinities of different civs.

Either Pangaea on standard or Continents on large with 13-15 Civs and 26-30 CS's. Both need to either be the plus version or on low water, else they feel too cramped.

Pangaea when I want a quick game. Continents when I want something longer with a more engaging end-game.

I play huge, usually random, but I personally don't like playing pangaea, mostly because it feels weird, and the naval civs really get screwed. I like continents, and sometimes have fun on archipelago. Fractal does indeed do weird things, and there's almost nothing more annoying than being stuck on a pseudo-island because the one choke point on your continent is blocked entirely by an AI city - so you only met them and you won't meet anyone else until you get open borders.

Large Fractal maps with 12 civs (extra 2) and 16 CS (minus 4).

Or random. :) You don't know what you're playing on untill you scout a lot, and even if you get a map type you don't really like just realize that everyone is in same position as you.

The map I like the most is fractal. But I end up playing pangeas because I hate moving lots of units around, and it's less annoying with one landmass.

Anybody here playing on maps catered to their civ? I know it's not very fair, but I really enjoy playing:

Arabia/Marocco on Sandstorm
Inca on Highlands
Iroquis on Arborea
Polynesia on Archipelago
Aztecs on Lakes map

Although nothing has ever compared to me spawning on earth map in the area of Suez Canal as Venice. I was able to send my trade routes to Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia and America at the same time. Simply fricking amazing when you set up your city on a single tile to conect 2 oceans/Seas.

Recently I've been playing Standard Size Small Continents with the water level set to Low and 2 extra AIs added to compensate for the increased map space.

The resulting maps are very interesting, with interestingly shaped continents that have some choke-points and inner seas, some low depth connections between the various continents, a good amount of actually useable islands and no space wasted by vast empty seas. It's my new favorite map type.

Haven't tried small continents extensively, but I love the low water level setting. I would imagine you'd get some nice maps with that combination, although I'd still play on a large map. I hate starting on landmasses with only one or two neighbors.

A poll perhaps? Just the standard maps included in the base game for ease of use. I for one love small continents. Perfect balance of everything in my opinion. Continents plus is a close second but i feel like naval civs i love playing really have more of a chance to shine on small continents

I thought I would give Fractal another chance after reading some of the answers here, but then by turn 20 I started to think that things were quiet... too quiet.

Then I hit retire to see if my suspicions were real or not and...
Spoiler :

Also: Lol at Portugal's capital being almost ice-locked! :D

But I still love Fractal, even if it's often Pangea-like...

It can be quite fun being on a continent alone like that, although its a pretty strong advantage (well for peaceful builders). Standard fractal, pretty much every time. Although had some great fun with the Shoshone on Great Plains.

I love the low water level setting.

Yes, that seems to be the lesson I learned from my map setting :). Low water makes maps more interesting, with more islands and closer connections between continents. It needs to be compensated with adding a few more AIs, though, so that you don't have huge empty spaces.

I really like the Perfect World 3 map script, been using it since Civ 4. I'ts like terra, a bit bigger, but actually creates a world that looks real. I can't even go back to the vanilla map scripts anymore they just feel like a random scattered mess of terrain types.

I really like the Perfect World 3 map script, been using it since Civ 4. I'ts like terra, a bit bigger, but actually creates a world that looks real. I can't even go back to the vanilla map scripts anymore they just feel like a random scattered mess of terrain types.

When you say it is like terra, does it also create a new continent where no civ starts? I'd like to try the script, I heard good things about it. But if it has a "new continent", it's something I'd only play from time to time.

I think I have to try the low water setting. Maybe it makes Liberty more useful because you have a bit more space.

I play standard continents and fractal the most.

I think Pangeas are too simple and lack tactical depth. Tech choices are too obvious because Astronomy and naval techs become kinda useless. It makes culture victory a lot easier, too, and stuff like Patronage -> Consulates looks really imbalanced.

Top Bottom