Which modding limitations can be overcome through DLC Packaging?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by 8BitArchitect, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 8BitArchitect

8BitArchitect Chieftain

I happen to know that by packaging a mod like DLC, you can overcome some of the limitations stated here but what else can be done through this method that can't be done with mods packaged in the standard format? Are there any limitations on that list that can't be overcome through packaging a mod as DLC?

For example, can maps surpass the current maximum size of 192x84 (or whatever it is)

2. 8BitArchitect

8BitArchitect Chieftain

:bump:

Does no one know the answer to my question, even partially?

3. Nutty

Nutty Deity

The only difference is for those files that can't be modded otherwise because they're loaded before the modding subsystem (or where you can't enable mods at all, i.e., multiplayer).

This involves mainly user interface stuff, some of the leader/terrain/feature textures, plus some of the data in the database (which I don't recall offhand).

Many limitations require access to the other DLLs (like the graphics engine) to fix. Using a fake DLC won't help you.

Map size limits would not be affected, no. From what I've read, 182x96 or 179x112 don't cause immediate crashes--though you must also remember to edit AssignStartingPlots.lua--however the game might crash after 400 rounds or so anyway.

You'll get a better answer if you constrain your question to whether a specific thing you're looking to do is possible.

4. 8BitArchitect

8BitArchitect Chieftain

OK, is there a complete list of the files systems this affects (that aren't affected by standard mod packaging) on a wiki or forum somewhere?

I'd assume just looking at the regular list(s) of "modding limitations" would show me what I can't do if I had the above list of what I can...

This is disappointing. Civ IV and even III supported bigger maps than this (max mapsize on III was 382x382, although because of the isometric projection this meant half as many tiles as Civ IV or V style maps at that size.)

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully the specificity in this post helps a little.

5. ThorHammerz

ThorHammerz zzz

This is mostly a memory issue thing, you are free to create a 500 x 500 tile map / map script if you want; just don't expect your game to be very fast. I find the game to be just barely playable at 160 x 100 in the late game, simply because of all the units and tile improvements present on the map.

The previous iterations of Civ were able to support larger maps (on the machines of the past 5 years) simply because the graphics and texture loads were far less than what is present in Civ 5.