Which modules can be safely disabled?

Endless Rain

Chieftain
I would like to know which modules in the modules folder can be disabled. I know some of them were merged into the core and can't be disabled without crashing the mod, but there's no documentation stating which ones those are.

The only ones I know of are in the My_Mods folder. To disable you place them in the My_Mods unloaded folder. But there may have been some changes since Dancing Hoskuld set those 2 up. AFAIK all the rest can not be disabled.

Curious why do you want to disable Any of the Modules?

I was hoping to be able to disable the Custom Worldviews module. (The one that contains the Slavery, Cannibalism, and Human Sacrifice stuff.) I also wanted to disable some of the less developed religions that have no unique buildings beyond the standard 4.

If you don't use Slavery as a Civic you don't have to worry about the Custom Worldviews. I never play with it either and I have never had to remove the module. Just don't use the Slavery Civic.

As for disabling the religions, you might need to start a Conversation with Dancing Hoskuld.

I am on holiday, for my mum's 84th birthday, should be back in a few days. Sorry, I thought I told everyone.

Modules can be turned off using the MLF file but not all have been tested fully. Turning off Slavery World View may break all captives but I have not tested that recently. Human Sacrifice and Cannibalism should be mandatory for some religions eg Christianity otherwise some of the rituals and celebrations become meaningless but I don't think that has been implemented.

All the "punk" modules can be turned off and some of the religions can safely turned off. I think most of the Megafauna modules can be turned off.

Everything in My_Modules should be fine to turn off. Just move the folder you want to turn off to the Unloaded folder so you can put it on later if needed.

If you are using the SVN version you may need to turn things off again after doing an update.

Human Sacrifice and Cannibalism should be mandatory for some religions eg Christianity otherwise some of the rituals and celebrations become meaningless but I don't think that has been implemented.

I didn't know that Christianity has something to do with such stuffs, in game or in reality. :eek: You mean "bread and wine becomes flesh and blood" literally?

Human Sacrifice and Cannibalism should be mandatory for some religions eg Christianity
Say what DH? Did you mean Except Christianity? Cause other wise I have no clue how you came up with that statement.

Reactions: tmv
Human Sacrifice and Cannibalism should be mandatory for some religions eg Christianity otherwise some of the rituals and celebrations become meaningless but I don't think that has been implemented.
Are you sure?
Maybe you meant Voodoo or some Aztec religions for example?

I didn't know that Christianity has something to do with such stuffs, in game or in reality. :eek: You mean "bread and wine becomes flesh and blood" literally?
Exactly, without the taboo on cannibalism the ritual becomes meaningless. You can't have the taboo without the thing existing at some point.

Oh and yes it literally does, that is the miracle!

Exactly, without the taboo on cannibalism the ritual becomes meaningless. You can't have the taboo without the thing existing at some point.

So there can be heresies too?
Or religions can be much more hardcore in beginning before calming down?
That is cannibalism or human sacrife would be allowed by religion in first 5% of their existance (religion exists 2000 years and in first 100 years these worldviews were allowedf) and then those could get banned.

You're talking about catholicism. In protestantism, it's "in memoriam" we do it.

And cannibalism was never an issue in any of the old religions. It's a basic human taboo, that only got broken when you go to places where food sources could be real scarce, like the Maori in the Pacific islands.

Human sacrifice is well known in Mesoamerican religions and a few instances of it happened in Scandinavia (we cut their throats and threw them in marshes, nobody knows why, so it's not part of the Asetro religion f.ex. - it's much older).

The Romans claimed the Celts and Carthaginians sacrificed humans, but we've yet to find evidence that I know of - and since both were enemies of Rome, of course they'll claim the worst of them.

And the only place I know it is mentioned in the Bible (or the Quran for that matter), is the story of Abraham and Isaac, maybe that tells us something about life in ancient Ur, but then again maybe not. And maybe Soddom and Gomorrah, but I haven't read that story...

Again, human sacrifice is a basic human taboo. Not something that forms the basis of any religion. In fact it was an old Roman insult to call christians cannibals.

I tried turning off Alt_Timelines (changed the 1 to 0 in MLF) but got mad XML errors. Also tried to individually turn off Religions and Civilizations; mad errors.

In My_Mods removing those folders caused errors, I think it's the Burial_Traditions one, didnt check em all individually.

I never liked punk and megafauna stuff, how would I go about disabling that?

Looks like you can't right now.

Human sacrifice is well known in Mesoamerican religions and a few instances of it happened in Scandinavia (we cut their throats and threw them in marshes, nobody knows why, so it's not part of the Asetro religion f.ex. - it's much older).
It was Druidic traditions that created the bog mummies. From what I've read, we don't much understand druidism because it changed a lot over time and the old old druidic ways were long gone by the time 'we' had access to learning about them. The Romans faced druidic leaders but they vanished soon thereafter and did not leave much written record of their beliefs.

I tried turning off Alt_Timelines (changed the 1 to 0 in MLF) but got mad XML errors. Also tried to individually turn off Religions and Civilizations; mad errors.

In My_Mods removing those folders caused errors, I think it's the Burial_Traditions one, didnt check em all individually.

You can't turn them all off. Only some have been modularised properly. None were tested before v38 came out to ensure they were still modular.

Looks like you can't right now.

It was Druidic traditions that created the bog mummies. From what I've read, we don't much understand druidism because it changed a lot over time and the old old druidic ways were long gone by the time 'we' had access to learning about them. The Romans faced druidic leaders but they vanished soon thereafter and did not leave much written record of their beliefs.

Most bog mummies have been found in Denmark, Northern Germany and the Netherlands, outside of the Celtic sphere of influence.

I am adding a comment to the MLF file in the module XML indicating which have been tested as "safe" to turn off.
Code:
                <Module>
                    <Directory>Yoruba</Directory>
                    <bLoad>1</bLoad>
                    <!--> Modular? Yes v38  Initial Test Only<-->
                </Module>
                <Module>
                    <Directory>Voodoo</Directory>
                    <bLoad>1</bLoad>
                    <!--> Modular?   No   work not started<-->
                </Module>
In the Custom Religions the following are not OK to turn off ie must stay on
  • Std_BtS_Religions
  • Std_RoM_Religions
  • Mormon
  • Scientology
  • Shinto
  • Sikh
  • Voodoo
I'll be uploading to to the SVN later. I will do some of the others as I get time.

Testing the AltTimelines reveals the following:-

Not Modular
  • Megafauna, I am working on this and as they are finished they move into Megafauna_Units. I think two are modular but need some other work. The Cats one isn't.

• Biopunk and Cyberpunk have to be set to the same, so both must be on or off. They cross reference each other so perhaps they should be moved into a sub folder to make things simple.

• Apocalypse currently conflicts with another modders mod

• Dieselpunk, Crystalpunk, Spacepunk and Starpunk are all referenced by Pepper2000's work in progress.

Top Bottom