Which movie(s) have you seen lately? - Episode IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camikaze said:
Evil economic imperialists try to kill off natives to control ridiculously precious resource. Natives get a prophet-like outsider who leads them to victory with what appears to be rudimentary weapons, utilising nature (the things they fly = worms in this analogy).

Imperialism was a theme in Dune? I didn't get the impression that Leto Atreides ever objected to his own House Atreides ruling Arrakis.

But it is the evil economic imperialists the Harkonnens that try and retake (or gain control of) Arrakis. The humans in Avatar are portrayed in a very similar way; ignorant of the power of the natives, disrespectful of the natural environment and willing to kill native population for the sake of gaining a precious resource.

I don't think its a good fit and none of these are particularly striking parallels.

Camikaze said:
But it is the evil economic imperialists the Harkonnens that try and retake (or gain control of) Arrakis.

House Atreides was given control of Arrakis to cut it off from its support base back on its home world. That was intended to allow Baron Harkonnen to destroy House Atreides with a minimum of fallout in the Landsrad. The whole plot was created by Corrino IV to check House Atreides military potential, because its invincible Sardaukar were relatively speaking declining in quality compared to House Atreides Levies.

Camikaze said:
The humans in Avatar are portrayed in a very similar way; ignorant of the power of the natives, disrespectful of the natural environment and willing to kill native population for the sake of gaining a precious resource.

Only the first part is true and that was deliberate on the part of the Freman. The non-Freman inhabitants of dune couldn't really disrespect the environment, because of the great big killer worms and well the lack of an environment. And to my knoweldge the Freman were not on the whole targeted by anyone because they were considered to be so unimportant.

holy king said:
imperialism that isnt that bad is still imperialism.

It certainly happened but whether or not it was important to the story is another matter entirety. I didn't read much of an anti-Imperialist subtext in the novel and I suspect there probably wasn't one.

Obviously the in depth plot of the two is not identical, but many parallels can be drawn between the two basic plots. Just by thinking about the two plots briefly on a surface level, stark similarities include:
  • Precious resources in the ground (spice vs. some precious metal).
  • Off-worlders want control of precious resource in the ground, and will use force to gain it.
  • Off-worlder becomes a prophet for natives in their fight against the 'imperialists'.
  • Off-worlder becomes a native.
  • Upon entering the native community, the off-worlder is mentored by the daughter of the native leader, albeit reluctantly at first (Chani and Paul vs. Neytiri and Jake). Love subsequently flourishes between both couples.
  • The leader of the native people is made second in command to the off-worlder prophet (Stilgar vs. Tsu'Tey).
  • The native people make use of local creatures that seem vicious to off-worlders (worms vs. those things that the Na'vi fly and ride).
  • The central goal of the native people is to have a well developed natural environment (creation of Arrakeen utopia vs. preservation of Pandora's wilderness).

I remember noticing other similarities too...I just can't think of them atm.

Old School - good for some cheap laughs, a couple genuine funny moments. I'd say a nice 6.5/10.
Green Street Hooligans - Great film, very dramatic, some great scenes, but some godawful acting. 8/10. And now I want to go beat the crap out of somebody.

Paranormal Activity, apparently with the original ending. Well done, different, entertaining, like Blair Witch about a haunting and not as easily mocked.

I saw Paranormal Activity last night, and I must say it was either a very bad horror movie, or a very good comedy. It's the first horror movie I've seen, actually, so I'm no expert on them, but it just seemed awfully predictable and hilariously presented (probably due to the bad acting). Disclaimer: The girls I went with had a differing opinion (especially of the final scene), so maybe it just wasn't my taste. :dunno:

No Country for Old Men and The Road. Both are based on novels by Cormac McCarthy. Now, I'm reading Blood Meridian because it's probably going to be the next one that is turned into a movie.

What was your opinion of The Road?

Can't wait to see The Road.

Just watched Four Christmases. The first hour is bearable. Also I Steve Wiebe is in one scene which shocked me. What is he doing in a Christmas Romcom? Wiki had the answer - same director as King of Kong.

I saw "The Reader" last night and liked it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom