Which movie(s) have you seen recently- VIII Remake of the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy Rider

Before watching it I only knew the myth of Easy Rider. The pop culture symbol of freedom encapsulated in motorcycles and long desert roads.
I found the actual movie bizarre. One of those movies where I wonder what I just even watched. I suppose its themes hit some nerves at the time of its release. But nowadays there is nothing spectacular about it other than its quirkiness. Just an unconventional movie with no real point to it other than "people want to kill those truly free". But as said, I can see this message having a lot more ring to it in the late 60s.

Dead Snow (Norway 2009)

Easter break for six med students turns deadly when they run into a group of Nazi Zombies.

Taking a Nazi Zombie out with crossed hammer and sickle is classic.

7/10

Captain America, The Winter Soldier. I liked it.

Django Unchained. I would have missed nothing had I missed this one.

Kick-Ass 2. I guess this is a minor cult favorite with a few people. It was recommended to me as such. Kinda worth seeing, but not a great movie.

Kick-Ass 2. I guess this is a minor cult favorite with a few people. It was recommended to me as such. Kinda worth seeing, but not a great movie.

DU* is another of the long progression of utter crap movies by Tarantino. His main contribution to cinema is to present whole movies where each character is less than 1-dimensional :/

*Actually DJU, cause the D is silent.

Generic hero movie - yay?
Django - nay?

You are a strange and mysterious person.

Knight and Day
Totally flat and soon enough ridiculously foreseeable.
Still somewhat entertaining. The irony worked well enough.

Generic hero movie - yay?
Django - nay?

You are a strange and mysterious person.

How so? There are things that I don't love about the superhero movies. But as a whole I find them an enjoyable time. But Django was just pointless ultra violence for the purpose of splattering the screen with endless buckets of gore.

Fail Safe (1964)... speechless.

10/10

See it. Very well done cold war/ nuclear showdown thriller.
Agreed. Not sure if the remake is better or worse. I saw that one first and was blown away by it.

How so? There are things that I don't love about the superhero movies. But as a whole I find them an enjoyable time. But Django was just pointless ultra violence for the purpose of splattering the screen with endless buckets of gore.
Hm okay suit yourself. :) (you are still wrong ;))

Here Comes the Groom and Just for You, both starring Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman. Both were delightful; this was my first time seeing Wyman and she and Mr. Crosby had terrific chemistry together.

I agree with Cutlass on Django. I enjoyed it where I would have loved it as a 15 year old, i'm getting too old for QTs stuff now.

But, but..... Sure it is by no means a movie of substance, But the style. The composition, the atmosphere... It is a movie of aesthetics.
And to come back to the Hero Movie. Okay I haven't seen this one, but in general the hero movies are full of the same narrative structures all over again. The story isn't remotely interesting because guess what will happen... The humor is flat, the characters run-of-the-mill caricatures. You can argue that Tarentino also uses caricatures (though that seems somewhat unfair to me), but they at least are not run-of-the-mill but intriguing.

I don't understand you people.

Though that said, I was quit disappointed by Inglorious Bastards (though the scene with the Nazi hunter was OMG AWESOOOME of course). So don't take me for some mindless Tarentino fanboy. And Django is not a master piece either, I agree with that as well. Reservoir Dogs and naturally Pulb Fiction were another league. Still, it is an enjoyable movie IMO.

The style is to have more buckets of gore flying around than any 3 Normandy invasions. When every person shot requires a 55 gallon drum of ketchup, and essentially every person gets shot, Tarrentino is single handedly creating a global tomato shortage. It get's old. :p

But, but..... Sure it is by no means a movie of substance, But the style. The composition, the atmosphere... It is a movie of aesthetics.
And to come back to the Hero Movie. Okay I haven't seen this one, but in general the hero movies are full of the same narrative structures all over again. The story isn't remotely interesting because guess what will happen... The humor is flat, the characters run-of-the-mill caricatures. You can argue that Tarentino also uses caricatures (though that seems somewhat unfair to me), but they at least are not run-of-the-mill but intriguing.

Though that said, I was quit disappointed by Inglorious Bastards (though the scene with the Nazi hunter was OMG AWESOOOME of course). So don't take me for some mindless Tarentino fanboy. And Django is not a master piece either, I agree with that as well. Reservoir Dogs and naturally Pulb Fiction were another league. Still, it is an enjoyable movie IMO.

I would give Django a 6 maybe a 7 out of 10. 6.5!
I mean, once the blood started flowing any pretense of a developing, intelligent plot went out of the window and i subconciously disassociated myself from the two characters. At this point the film lost me. In the end I was just laughing hysterically at all the blood and guts. There were some very good spots in the film. I think Di Caprio was astonishingly good and when they added in Jackson as the ancient butler it went up a whole notch. Those few scenes and the accomplaining dialogue were sensational.

Usually, films which I enjoyed a lot are ones I remember. I can't remember that much of Django and I only saw it last summer. It's a bad sign.

American Psycho: Been wanting to see this one for a while. What and odd, odd movie. Although I found it funny at first, it got more and more disturbing the longer I watched it.

i.e. I think it worked.

I never liked his films. He was extremely popular (or at least mentioned in pop culture all the time) in the late 90s. Both reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction seemed pointless to me, no character depth cause everyone was there just to be some surface to move the film along. The start of reservoir dogs is just a dumb curse-fest going on for a couple of min on some random Madonna music commentary.

Pulp Fiction became his main film, although it lost his only oscars chance to Forrest Gump ( :mischief: ). Even Forrest, a movie centered on a person of very low IQ, was a smarter film.

The Last Days on Mars (2013)

What sounds like a sci-fi flick and is a sci-fi flick in actuality is another genre entirely. I don't want to spoil by revealing what genre, but it was done really well. Somehow I really immersed myself in that movie and it got me a bit on the edge.

If you like "western" try "The Burrowers" (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom