Which movie(s) have you seen recently- VIII Remake of the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argo: Pretty good in my opinion, I liked it more than ZDK that's for sure. I still have to watch more of the other nominated movies to see if its my favorite, but its definitely up there.

Flight: Very touching, with a fantastic performance from Denzel Washington. One of the best films from last year by far.

Saw Limitless the other night. 8.7, needs a sequel imo.

Diamonds are Forever (1971). This is the first Bond movie I've seen with Sean Connery. It was just okay, though Connery is obviously a great Bond. Tiffany Case on the other hand is truly a terrible actress, all her lines sound forced and unnatural. Highlight of the movie was when they tossed her out the balcony window. 5/10

The Hobbit (2012, not 1977)

Thoroughly enjoyable. I'd read a few reviews by people online who complained that it wasn't as good as LOTR. All I can say is that if they ever read the books they might realize that the books are written quite differently and I think that came across somewhat (though not really as much as it could have) in the movie.

I didn't like the way they handled Riddles in the Dark, but the movie was definitely good fun.

You know, I am not sure how that actually went down. Apparently the very, very original printing had a different story to that than later reprints (including the Ballantine 70s one that I had/read.) I'd really love to find and read both and compare someday.

But yeah, I get you. That's just a thing. I wasn't really happy at all with the Arwen storyline or the Elves at Helms Deep at first from the LOTR trilogy since they differed so greatly from the books. I did eventually get over that because both of those things were so well done. What I've never really gotten over was the ridiculous use of the army of the dead to actually FIGHT anyone. And they turned the tide at Minas Tirith? WTF? Hell, at that point just make them cleanse mordor before they are freed... Imrahil got screwed there, I tell ya.

Actually my greatest problem with The Hobbit was that they tried to force the EPIC feeling of LotR into that movie even though the source material doesn't really provide any basis for that.

also, overuse of special effects. at times it felt like watching someone play an elaborate jump'n run game, not a film.

Flight: Very touching, with a fantastic performance from Denzel Washington. One of the best films from last year by far.

Flight was a great movie. Opening scene was fantastic and while the rest of the movie had a different tone it was still great.

Its a shame it didn't win many academy awards, probably the most underrated movie of the year.

Ip Man. Great acting and great fight scenes. As someone used to a lot of "USA #1" vibes in movies, the whole "China #1" vibe was a bit jarring, but not in a terrible way.

Flight was a great movie. Opening scene was fantastic and while the rest of the movie had a different tone it was still great.

Its a shame it didn't win many academy awards, probably the most underrated movie of the year.

Agree with this 100%.

What flaws did you notice?

The plot seemed to drag at a few parts and go into weird little dead ends. The religious themes it kept hinting at were never really developed. John Goodman was frakking awesome, but his character seemed out of place.

Actually my greatest problem with The Hobbit was that they tried to force the EPIC feeling of LotR into that movie even though the source material doesn't really provide any basis for that.

That is true. The Hobbit was more of a romp than an epic struggle.

The Machinist. 10/10

Edit:

Also, Primer, an independent movie that is hard to explain. If you like movies you have to think about, but Inception was pitifully simple, this is perfect for you. From every review I've read it takes multiple screenings to have a good idea what's going on, and from my first viewing that seems to be the case. Loved it, definitely revisiting it sometime, consider this an in-progress rating of 9/10

yeah primer is really good

saw Into the Wild, it's incredibly meh. The film is divided into like 4-5 chapters and I watched it in chunks rather than all at once, so I think that made it better. It'd be much more boring if you sat through the 2.5 hours straight through, at least since I read the wiki page about what the movie is about (not the movie wiki page, but the guy that the story follows). But that didn't really effect movie experience.

Mediocre, and
Spoiler in case anyone is going to check it out without knowing the plot at all :
I do agree that the film romanticizes the guy who dies as a henry thoreau like figure when he isn't. but then a movie wouldn't have been made if it was the [seemingly more accurate] story of a guy who poorly planned "living simply" and died from it

Probably will watch Grizzly Man soon though.

The plot seemed to drag at a few parts and go into weird little dead ends. The religious themes it kept hinting at were never really developed. John Goodman was frakking awesome, but his character seemed out of place.

I agree on the Goodman and religious parts, but other than that, it felt contained and solid. Dunno

Anyways, just saw Do the Right Thing, and, eh, I didn't really like it. Maybe I was expecting a totally different movie, but everything came off as way too cartoonish and absurd to take seriously. Key elements to the plot seemed to have come out of left field with no real rhyme or reason, and overall it just felt really loose.

Rewatched Stranger than Fiction, a favorite of mine. The line about anarchist groups bugs me, though. Apparently neither the writers nor the actors are even remotely familiar with anarchism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom