Which movies have you seen lately? Kinetic Icon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched "Beasts of the Southern Wild". I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hey, at least you can take comfort in the fact that those dark cynical Kathryn Bigelow movies still take place in a fairy-tale dreamland that has nothing to do with the actual military.

Never said realistic :p

Just less of, I don't know, triumphant music playing over a scene that was supposed to portray a horrific situation (Russians gunning down Russians).

Speaking of Bigelow, I just saw Zero Dark Thirty, and, well, it was pretty good. I wouldn't say Best Picture good, or best of the year good, it wasn't that good. It was really well made, and tense throughout, but there still were some nagging flaws that held it back. Like a lack of characterization. The main character (Maya) never really develops, or takes any sort of control, even though it seems like Bigelow centers the movie on the fact that she's the catalyst for this whole thing. A majority of the movie is just her believing she's right, and then finding a random piece of evidence that shows she's right. It never bothers to explore the idea that she might have been, well, wrong. Maya just comes off as arrogant and over-confident, not someone I'd put my trust into. This along with other things such as a couple of really annoying cliches, bits of over-acting, and some of the dialogue hold it back from being as it could have been.

This is ignoring the fact that this is a movie and shouldn't be taken for fact. I've been told most of it is crap, and I'm inclined to believe that after seeing it.

For an easy rating, eh, 8/10. Well made, but lacking in some key areas.

Zero Dark 30. Couldn't get past the first 10 minutes.

Lost in Translation. I found it only mediocre, because it just kind of sat around too long in the middle with the characters wistfully going around. That's 100% intentional of the film, but with the lack of direction/progression it got a bit boring watching it late at night. Or I shouldn't say boring, but nothing gripping or particularly interesting.

When it came out 2003 it got academy award best picture nods which I definitely don't think it deserved.

Hm. It's like About Schmidt, but goes in a different direction. Personally I found both amusing, but if you don't like the main characters/actors I guess it may be boring.

Never said realistic :p

Just less of, I don't know, triumphant music playing over a scene that was supposed to portray a horrific situation (Russians gunning down Russians).
I think that was meant to be ironic. It's not like the unrelenting dickishness of the Soviet leadership isn't repeatedly acknowledged in the film.

13 Assassins, the shorter version unfortunately. Good but sadly not excellent so I was mildly disappointed after all. The soundtrack with several scenes lacking music is refreshing.
Spoiler :
Start is awesome even though I knew what was coming but after that things slow down & it's lacking tension, the Japanese version would've been better I assume. The wannabe epic battle doesn't feel like it - it's too generic sword swinging with a spearman & a melee slinger and just not bloody enough. It should've been like uncut Shogun Assassin without the comic strip elements or something like early Woo. However, the ending was fine regardless of making sense or not and going to America for shagging seems a worthy future plan.

Sounds like I will hate it... Can't make the movie showing here today - but my friend wants to go see it with me, so I am going tomorrow. I don't know, the trailers have turned me off already from the movie (Zero Dark Thirty) - Sounds like it is going to be as bad as I fear.

13 Assassins, the shorter version unfortunately. Good but sadly not excellent so I was mildly disappointed after all. The soundtrack with several scenes lacking music is refreshing.
Spoiler :
Start is awesome even though I knew what was coming but after that things slow down & it's lacking tension, the Japanese version would've been better I assume. The wannabe epic battle doesn't feel like it - it's too generic sword swinging with a spearman & a melee slinger and just not bloody enough. It should've been like uncut Shogun Assassin without the comic strip elements or something like early Woo. However, the ending was fine regardless of making sense or not and going to America for shagging seems a worthy future plan.
It's a good film indeed, not the best evah -unfortunately- but what can one do?

I believe I've commented on it some several hundred posts ago.

It's a good film indeed, not the best evah -unfortunately- but what can one do?

I believe I've commented on it some several hundred posts ago.

Yup, start looking for the Jap orig with some readable subtitles and/or waiting the next remake which eventually will come.
I found the view along with our honored sickle & hammer wuxia fan's comment as well.

My expectations just were pretty high for this one. Perhaps a mind cleansing with Tetsuo & then something more mainstream is in order.

---add.---

And if someone is interested with the differences between versions...
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=212290

I think that was meant to be ironic. It's not like the unrelenting dickishness of the Soviet leadership isn't repeatedly acknowledged in the film.

Yeah, I can see that. It just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

I've just watched Oldboy, a South Korean film, it was epic, the story is a bit creepy (incest alert) but its epic.

I've just watched Oldboy, a South Korean film, it was epic, the story is a bit creepy (incest alert) but its epic.

The
Spoiler :
massive fight in that hallway with the hammer
was epic. It's a pretty awesome movie. It also inspired the VA Tech shooter, but meh, you can't blame the movie IMO.

Yes, that one. They blame alot of stuff on mass murderers, from video games to movies. I even laughed at the moment when the guy jumps off the building and he says "now you're laughing, when you laugh the world laughs with you, when you weep you weep alone".

Also Im about to watch The Raid (Redemption) the Indonesian (I think) movie, with epic fight scenes, has anyone seen it?

Yes, that one. They blame alot of stuff on mass murderers, from video games to movies. I even laughed at the moment when the guy jumps off the building and he says "now you're laughing, when you laugh the world laughs with you, when you weep you weep alone".

Also Im about to watch The Raid (Redemption) the Indonesian (I think) movie, with epic fight scenes, has anyone seen it?

I saw Brick and The raid: redemption last night. Both are good. Brick has a very neat style to it that's really quite enjoyable. If it wasn't as good with the style it would be meh overall for the plot and such, but it's really quite unique I think.

And Raid is exactly what people say it is (essentially just fight scene after fight scene), and parts of it are spectacular, but overall it gets a bit tiring seeing the same general stuff over and over. Not particularly a great movie, but fun.

People should see both at some point.

raid is mediocre.

Just saw Contagion today - I enjoyed it thoroughly 9/10, had meant to go watch at the movies when it came out but I was too busy and never got around to it.

Get Him to the Greek (2010). This movie couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be a comedy or a drama. It was very good at being funny, it had me laughing pretty hard at times. The "serious" aspect of the film flopped pretty hard and brought the rest of the movie down. Should have stuck to being a send-up of the music industry and left the schmaltz aside. 6/10

Greenberg - Strange little flick, I liked it though, if not just because the ending worked really well.

I've just watched Oldboy, a South Korean film, it was epic...

This.

Passed Tetsuo & watched 14 Blades instead. Too much CGI, far too much slo-mo in action scenes - sure Jet Li & Raffaelli were too fast for cameras back in time but still, every scene slowed down at some point. Also I couldn't help feeling that the potential Western audience was kept in mind all through the creation process which didn't help at all. And still, it's good. There's (always) something serene in Donnie Yen's presence and who doesn't dig a chick who does her (un)dressing as quickly as Kate Tsui - too bad it's only a coat, nothing like Cheung & Lin in Hark's original Dragon Inn.

Coup de Tête with Patrick Dewaere. Lighthearted French movie. Main protagonist is wrongly convicted of rape. But those responsible get their comeuppance.

Very, very French film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom