Which movies have you seen lately? Kinetic Icon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching Stanley Kubrick's The Shining after a few years. I really think it'd be much scarier without all the soundtrack, an empty hotel with all that snow would have a real echo.

Dredd, which, tragically, unforgivably, I wasn't able to catch at the cinema. Fantastic stuff, 5/5, if only to express the joy of a fanboy whose expectations have been exceeded. Straightforward premise, well-told and tightly-paced, great villain, great action. Particularly impressed by the way they managed to keep the blackly satirical aspects of the comics without rubbing it in your face, which is what the 1995 film did every time it tried to play satirist. (Although I will always have a special place in my heart for the food droid.) Handling of the obvious dystopian aspects of Megacity One (i.e. all of them) wasn't as elegant as it might have been- I think that they were going for ambiguity, but at times it came across more like resigned acceptance- but I think that in the context of what is basically a shoot-em-up, it makes sense not to bring out the political cudgel. (Could have been something that could be explored in a sequel, but it had a poor box office run so I don't know how likely that is.)

Only problem I have is that Urban didn't totally sell Dredd for me. It's not that he didn't do a good job, or that he didn't handle the limitations of playing a character with only 1/3 of a face, because he did, it's just that at times it was a bit difficult to believe that this was actually supposed to be a real person. Now, granted, that's hardly unheard of in the comics, but movie seemed to be taking its signals from the more "realist" strain of Dredd comics, while some of Urban's scenes seemed to stray closer to the "fascist Batman" strain, which was a little jarring. Still, for the most part, I think this served to emphasis the significance of Anderson's humanising perspective, if only inadvertently, so it's nothing like a deal-breaker.

yes, i like that movie too.... too bad it didnt perform well in the box office.. will really appreciate a higher budget movie with more dirt, slime and blood...

I've been watching Stanley Kubrick's The Shining after a few years. I really think it'd be much scarier without all the soundtrack, an empty hotel with all that snow would have a real echo.

I disagree. I thought the sound editing and music were some of the best I've seen in the horror genre.

Have you ever been in a really empty building?

Have you ever been in a really empty building?

I know what you're getting at, but I still disagree.

There are scenes where they use the raw sound of the larger rooms too.

Just watched Spirited Away.

Overhyped 7/10, hopefully Princess Monokone will be much better.

Skyfall was the last movie I've seen. It wasn't as good as many are saying. As I find it not bad but not very good either. The latest Bond film it was.

I know what you're getting at, but I still disagree.

There are scenes where they use the raw sound of the larger rooms too.
Maybe it's because I am a man who walks alone, and when I walk a dark road…
Just watched Spirited Away.

Overhyped 7/10, hopefully Princess Monokone will be much better.
Not as overhyped as you might think, but it's not the best film ever.
Galaxy Quest, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Of course you did. It's unthinkable that anyone'd do anything else.

Hong Kong Wuxiaa Highlights of 2012

TaiChi Zero & TaiChi Hero
First 2 parts of an upcoming third part of the trilogy, which were produced together over the same time period. "Martial arts. Evil steampunk Robots. Kung Fu kids. The mystical power of Tai Chi. Tai Chi Zero has it all." It breaks new grounds for Martial Arts movies.
Young Yang Luchan (newcomer Yuan Xiaochao) travels to the Chen village to learn the Tai Chi Chen Kung Fu which is only taught in this village only and confronts European Steampunk Soldiers who wants to build a railroad thru the villlage.
I liked first part more than the second.

The Four
Wen Ruian's novel series Si Da Ming Bu (四大名捕; The Four Great Constables) gets a big screen adaptation which was in the TV series before. It's the first part of the announced trilogy so more will come. Liu Yifei, somewhat very famous, has one of the leading role here. She was also seen in Forbidden Kingdom and A Chinese Ghost Story /A Chinese Fairy Tale (ChineseGhostStoryRevivaled) one year before.
Full of magic combined with sword fighting and rather well done.

The Assassins
Liu Yifei playes here too, Diao Chan, while Chow Yun-fat being Cao Cao.
I havn't seen it yet.

WuDang大武當
Vincent Zhao and Mini Yang are on the hunt after a magical sword while the WuDang tournament is going on in which his daughter Ning (Xu Jiao) participates. "Bottom line: This movie is filled with fun martial arts, strong female characters, and great scenery. If martial arts is your thing, you'll love this movie."

Dragon (Wu Xia)
Donnie Yen is here again the main Liu Jin-xi, whos past will be investigated by the detective Xu Bai-jiu (Takeshi Kaneshiro). Very good I found. I like Donnie anyway very.

Man with Iron Fists
Lucy Liui and Russel Crowe plus Rick Yune (best in Ninja Assassin and James Bond 20) in a more average movie and in many spot very weak. It promoted to be with Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction) but Tarantino wasn't involved at all in there.

Blood Letter
A Non HongKong Vietnamese Wuxia movie also known as Thiên Mệnh Anh Hùng. A rather good sided action suspensing movie who wants to mess with the Hong Kong cinema and that really not bad at all.

Finally saw The Dark Knight Rises. Christopher Nolan did not disapoint. He loves a good twist. Zimmer did an excellent job on the soundtrack as always. Throw some great acters in there and you got yourself a great movie. The one thing I would critique though, is Bane's character. I just wish it had more feeling to it, like at the end. The Joker was played so well in the last movie, its hard to follow up. But, I feel like he was intentionally holding back because thats how it was supposed to be.

I saw Looper the other night. Really good stuff, I loved the ending. Also, they ran commercials for it, I thought it was Joseph Gorden-Lovett but he looked so different that it tripped me up. Then I realized they had given him prosthetics to make him look more like Bruce Willis. Those make up artists did a great job with that, they really did.

Good stuff all around.

Dark Zero Thirty - 8/10, it was a good film but the end screwed it up, because the lighting was horrible and I barely saw a thing it was a noised up dark scene with flashes. I know they wanted to make it realistic, but its not nice to watch. The other parts of the film were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom