Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Last Christmas on Friday, it was what I was hoping for. Very sweet and funny, and the twist did take me by surprise - I guessed half of it, but the other part totally caught me off guard.

They've put out trailers for the new Sonic movie which show off the new art style. He's definitely out of the uncanny valley now and looks like himself. I'm glad they listened to the fans and I hope they are rewarded for it at the box office.

I saw Last Christmas on Friday, it was what I was hoping for. Very sweet and funny, and the twist did take me by surprise - I guessed half of it, but the other part totally caught me off guard.

I assume that it's a jukebox musical, like Yesterday or Mama Mia?

The Final Girls (2015). Shameless parody/decosntruction of a 1980s excuse-plot slasher film that actually manages to work as a slasher film on its own right. Heavily meta, medium-aware, must watch again.

Resident Evil's movie company deserves to be boycotted for this.
And fined to hell.

(in spoiler, cause even the still shows the very terrible body-damage done to the stunt-woman; ABC news video)
Spoiler :

And the company didn't even cover her medical expenses!!!!!!!

Moby Dick staring Gregory Peck & Richard Basehart :thumbsup:[party] A must see. :yeah: Based upon America's first great novel. :coffee:

I first saw this when I was in Grade 2. :pat: The book was required reading when I was in college. :whipped: I tried reading the book again maybe 15 years ago, but found it verbose. :sleep: I just watched the movie again and was blown away by its deft use of theme, symbolism, and dialogue. Even the special effects from the mid-50's were great. I'd like to see someone take a crack at a remake.

For veterans day there were not very many war movies on like I can usually find.
But TCM did run Kelly's Heroes. Which, while not very supportive of the military, is one of my favorite movies.
I enjoyed it again.

Moby Dick staring Gregory Peck & Richard Basehart :thumbsup:[party] A must see. :yeah: Based upon America's first great novel. :coffee:

I first saw this when I was in Grade 2. :pat: The book was required reading when I was in college. :whipped: I tried reading the book again maybe 15 years ago, but found it verbose. :sleep: I just watched the movie again and was blown away by its deft use of theme, symbolism, and dialogue. Even the special effects from the mid-50's were great. I'd like to see someone take a crack at a remake.

There was remake, most likely inferior to the first movie. It starred Patrick Stewart as captain Ahab.

Pan's labyrinth I feel is his only really good movie, but that one is definitely great. Thought Mimic was a lot of fun when I saw it as a teen.

Del Toro's Troll hunters series on netflix is amazing and I like Hellboy, but you're right, most of his movies aren't that great. Shape of water was fine but really overrated, pacific rim movies were just bad. The first season of another show of his, The Strain, was really promising, but it went downhill super fast and the ending of it was just horrendous.

We watched the German WWII submarine movie, Das Boot. The universal reaction remains: Everyone loves the movie :love: and hates the ending :gripe:. But by far, the most realistic submarine movie I've seen. :goodjob:
Spoiler :
They die, right?

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - This one of my all-time favorite movies. It's got awkward love triangles, video game references, awesome fight choreography, some badass rock music, and a double headed dragon fighting a neon colored yeti. What more could you ask for? Plus it has an amazing cast of actors before they got super famous. Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Chris Evans, Brie Larson, Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza...

I watched Iron Man, Thor and then the Avengers off disney plus. Well worth it, good movies. Thor kind of falls flat on a rewatch. The plot is a little dry and the pacing a bit slow. Loki's motivations and plans are a little jumbled. And for some reason I really hate Natalie Portman in the marvel movies. She seems disinterested somehow to me. Though not as badly as in Thor 2.

Iron Man is still awesome. The scale of it is refreshing before everyone blows up into a zillion plot lines and heroes and special effects. It captures the wit and charm of the marvel series just right, a really solid launch movie for MCU.

Avengers is just a really good time, it has a great plot and awesome pace without being too messy like some of the later films. Also interesting to rewatch now that you know the ending of it all and have that perspective.

Watched Guy Ritchie's effort at doing King Arthur (Legend of the Sword) over the weekend (wasn't my idea!).

Wotta steamin' pile of ol' tosh that was, mate -- djer know wot I mean?

Last edited:
The Final Girls (2015). Shameless parody/decosntruction of a 1980s excuse-plot slasher film that actually manages to work as a slasher film on its own right. Heavily meta, medium-aware, must watch again.
I've since rewatched The Terminator and it's funny to see how many slasher film tropes and clichés it plays straight, including (of course) the final girl who can defeat the killer only when everybody else is dead, Kyle only being in trouble after he loses his virginity, police not being idiots but following completely the wrong lead… :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom