Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clint Eastwood's THE UNFORGIVEN. Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, and Next Supporting Actor.
I liked it but am confused. :confused: What does the title mean?

The Kid reacts to his first kill by renouncing the life of a gunslinger. Will Munny is too far down the path to ever escape, hence unforgiven. No wife and kids, no farm, no career in dry goods can save him. Just like Little Bill and his plaintive "I was building a house" couldn't save him from meeting the inevitable gunslinger's end.

I'm watching Star Trek (2009). I haven't seen it in years... This movie is excellent. The way the new cast channels the old cast is just superb, especially McCoy and Checkov. What a great, fun film, with a great score.:D There are parts that still give me chills. And seeing Leonard Nimoy is an extra special treat.

Also... I kinda like the lens flares... they make everything feel more epic and movie-like.

I have watched the entire Game of Thrones the other day ! (hated season 8)

Alita: Battle Angel was pretty darn fun. The plot is serviceable (if overwrought) and the action sequences were cool. The lore is super dope and reminds me of Horizon: Zero Dawn in a lot of ways. The anime eyes bugged me at first but I actually came around on them eventually. Also
Spoiler :
I think her eyes were a product of her being Martian.
--------
So they marketed the movie as if she were put together by her father (a la Geppetto and Pinocchio) and then somehow got a penchant for blood. The reality is that she was a Martian deathbot cyborg that wound up in a landfill for 300 years after an apocalyptic battle between Earth and Mars. Then she was found and reactivated and rediscovered her taste for blood which is waaaaaay cooler. It takes her most of the movie to work out who she is and they leave a ton of her backstory a mystery and it's all pretty cool. The fights are great and her animations were very close to photo-realistic.
--------
Back to the eyes - at one point she finds and boards a crashed Martian cruiser and there is a skeleton on the bridge. It was off-angle and only visible for a moment but to me it looked like the skull had very large eye openings, which could be a sign of divergent evolution or the influence of lower gravity or something.

Last edited:
I saw the Indiana Jones trilogy this week. I'm still not a big fan of the second film and I was surprised by how much of the first film I could still remember.

Was it about searching fot the Holy Grail ? IIRC the first one was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" ? Well just remember when seeking it : it's most probably the wooden one, I don't want You to choose poorly ;)

Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade.

Alita: Battle Angel was pretty darn fun.
My favorite movie of 2019. Saw it multiple times in IMAX. Here's to hoping a sequel eventually gets made. :please:
It's kind of on the fence right now, but there's so much more to explore in that universe.
Spoiler :
I think her eyes were a product of her being Martian.
It was an aesthetic design decision by Rodriguez/Cameron to bring true photorealistic "manga/anime" eyes to a live action movie. I haven't heard any more reasoning beyond that.

I saw the Indiana Jones trilogy this week. I'm still not a big fan of the second film and I was surprised by how much of the first film I could still remember.
Temple of Doom is definitely the weakest of the trilogy. That 4th film is an unfortunate abomination that people just pretend never happened, so it can stay a trilogy.

Watched Silverado last night. Seemed pretty standard western fare, but it was fun seeing all those familiar faces in one place.

Also, given that I have been watching Daredevil and Defenders on Netflix recently, quite amusing to see Scott Glen when he was still somewhat young(er) and pretty(er).

That 4th film is an unfortunate abomination that people just pretend never happened, so it can stay a trilogy.

What fourth film? I said it was a trilogy, didn't I? ;)

Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade.
For some reason I thought Temple of Doom was the final one in the trilogy, not Last Crusade. Man I had such a crush on the Nazi chick from Last Crusade as a little kid.
My favorite movie of 2019. Saw it multiple times in IMAX. Here's to hoping a sequel eventually gets made. :please:
It's kind of on the fence right now, but there's so much more to explore in that universe.
It took I think 15 years to make the first one as it got caught in production hell. The financial results were borderline but Cameron did say they were working on a sequel earlier last year.
It was an aesthetic design decision by Rodriguez/Cameron to bring true photorealistic "manga/anime" eyes to a live action movie. I haven't heard any more reasoning beyond that.
Ok that's kind of dumb then. :lol:

Edit: I just now realized where your avatar comes from!

Not everyone. I keep being told that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is one of the better Indiana Jones films.
...which only serves to demonstrate once again that 'those people who keep telling you [stuff]' are not nearly as clever/discerning as they seem to think they are.

There's a reason that 'nuking the fridge' has become synonymous with 'jumping the shark'.

Last edited:
Not everyone. I keep being told that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is one of the better Indiana Jones films.
Well, there's clearly a difference in quality between Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade on the one hand and Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on the other.

The lore is super dope and reminds me of Horizon: Zero Dawn in a lot of ways.
Like in a fundamental way or just because there's a lot of robots?

It's 1930s racist pulp with mighty whiteys and evil aboriginal cannibals but in the decolonised '80s. Which might be why Chukchi Husky's friends think it's the best film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom