1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Kyriakos, Aug 4, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

As I had hoped, at the Golden Globes, 1917 won "Best Motion Picture - Drama" & Sam Mendes won "Best Director - Motion Picture" for 1917. Joaquin Phoenix did win "Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama" for his role in Joker.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

@Fippy: More quality from a dark corner of the world.
    Kinji Fukasaku's Under the Flag of the Rising Sun (軍旗はためく下に Gunki hatameku moto ni, 1972) and Sergio Leone's Duck, You Sucker! (Giù la testa, 1971).

Fippy likes this.
  3. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

4. Takhisis

No, I haven't (I think), but I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Anyone got a feel for how accurate The Report is? It's about CIA torture I believe. It heavily features Senator Dianne Fienstein and I'd be interested to see what her role was in all that.

-------

I returned Alitta: Battle Angel and noticed that it is rated PG-13. The American rating system is flipping broken when multiple scenes of people getting slashed in half, slashed in the face, stabbed, stomped, etc only rates PG-13 but show a single female nipple and *boom* instant R-rating. There was even a smidge of gore and viscera in that movie on top of the gratuitous violence.

-------

Harvey Weinstein was charged with additional counts of rape and sexual assault in LA after a hearing for his other ongoing case in NYC. (or did we talk about that already and I forgot?)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  6. civvver

civvver Deity

Didn't 1917 do a limited release in 2019 just to make it to award shows? Didn't it just release nation wide last weekend? I hate when movies do this, you get too much recency bias among award voters and not enough public exposure.

Or language. One f-bomb and it's auto R. Like we assume middle schoolers don't already know that language.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

The first early screening, the one we went to, was back in November. Throughout December there were at least two other early screenings that I saw were happening, but didn't attend. There was a limited release in the US on Christmas Day and the wide release is this week on the 10th.

8. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

PG-13 movies can have one f-bomb. If it's two or more it usually gets changed to R which is even more asinine. If a term isn't appropriate for an audience under a certain age, it shouldn't be allowed at all.

9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

So true. :goodjob: I suspect bribery. :shifty: Mere incompetence cannot explain this.

10. abradley

abradley Deity

What if God gets fed up with us humans?

11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I'm reasonably certain this isn't actually a written, hard rule, even though Get Smoochy popularized the concept. It's roughly kind of true though. That's a criminally underrated movie, btw.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Spoiler :

I don't think this is really fair though, the other actors were great even if I don't like all the movies themselves.

Truthy likes this.
  14. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Watch the third movie before you start slinging mud, space boy.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Takhisis

I haven't watched it, but have you watched Camp X-Ray with Kristen Stewart?

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Never heard of it.

17. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

These two trailers are both pretty good. "It's Oh So Quiet" is a great choice. "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" is a little hack, but it's not bad. Seeing some of the still photos of Birds of Prey, I was a little concerned that the characters were too different from their comics presentations, but seeing them here in motion, it looks like it works. Conversely, it looks like New Mutants hews pretty close to the original comics. The brief glimpses we get of the New Mutants firing up their powers looks decent, I think. We have strong reasons to think that both of the movies could be epic disasters, so the usual disclaimer that a good trailer doesn't mean the movie will be good applies here. Still, I enjoy a good trailer for it's own sake.

18. Takhisis

M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable (2000). Are the long-delayed sequels worth watching?

19. civvver

civvver Deity

I didn't see Glass, but Split is pretty good. You don't even know it's a related film until the very final scene.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  20. Takhisis

Then I'll keep an eye out for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.