Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they are good films, worth watching? They're both suspense films and I'd ruin them by giving almsot anything away. They have interesting –and well-told– plots, relatable characters played by good actors, and are well filmed.

And thanks?

Well my antenna didn't come and reception was still bad so I ended up streaming the Godzilla marathon. They had Terror of Mechagodzilla, Monster Zero and some other really good ones. The stream was extremely stuttery at various points and I couldn't pause or record it but hey, free Godzilla is free Godzilla.

Also:
futurama.png

Last edited:
That Jason Momoa Conan movie just came free on Prime and its been a while so I gave it another view. It's not great but if you put it side by side with Arnie's its actually pretty good in comparison. Why didn't Conan fans like it?

Thx, may have to watch that.

That Jason Momoa Conan movie just came free on Prime and its been a while so I gave it another view. It's not great but if you put it side by side with Arnie's its actually pretty good in comparison. Why didn't Conan fans like it?
I haven't seen the 2011 movie, but I don't know if the 1982 movie is the apt comparison, I'd think it's other contemporary action movies. If you wanted to stack the deck in its favor, you could maybe narrow the field to only "sword & sorcery"-type movies and television shows. How does Conan (2011) compare to The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones? If you look just at 2011, there was a lot of competition: Captain America, Thor, Fast 5, and X-Men: First Class, as well as lower-profile stuff like Attack the Block, Hanna and Cowboys & Aliens. The original had a lot less competition in 1982: Deathwish 2, First Blood, 48 Hours, Tron, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, The Beastmaster. Arnie's movie looks a lot better when you put it up against its peers.

Most recent movie, due to flying transatlantic: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I went into it thinking I wasn't going to like it, but it steadily got better as the film went on. Dammit. 4/5, will watch again, with the Mrs.

It's a decent swords-and-sorcery film, it's just not a very good as an adaptation of the Conan stories, or at least how people have come to think of the Conan stories. Tonally, thematically, and aesthetically, it feels a bit too much like a generic contemporary fantasy film with the Conan name attached; it's almost a little surprising that it was in production at the same time as Game of Thrones, because it feels so much like an attempt to cash in on that series, and not simply because of the star. I quite enjoyed it on those terms, but I can see why somebody might react more negatively if they feel it as being delivered instead of the more faithful adaptation they might otherwise have had.

The Arnie film honestly wasn't much stronger as an adaptation of the Howard stories, or even the Marvel comics, but it does more strongly channel the barbarian adventure as a genre, and so is looked upon more kindly. Arnie's Conan has more in common with a generic Dungeons & Dragons barbarian character than with Howard's Cimmerian, but that at least places him authentically in the context of seventies pulp fantasy.

The Arnie movies didn't really resemble the books but I enjoyed them anyway. The movie didn't highlight his kingly qualities but I still liked Arnie's portrayal.
And I like seeing any re-adaptation of the series because I have issues 1-13 of the original comic books safely stored in the right type of plastic bags just sitting there and each series raises the value a touch. They're easily worth over a grand, for a few dollars investment.

I'm once again aggravated by all of the sites that call Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive an "action movie."

Moderator Action: Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom