Which movies have you watched? 13 - In a world where...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even leaving aside that you need to hard-boil eggs to make stuffed eggs, and the fact that Synsensa does not know hardboiled eggs are best eaten with mayonnaise, hardboiled eggs are awesome in their own right.

Egg salad is a different beauty of its own, Mr. Tak.

I should know, I've seen a movie about it. :shifty:

sprinkle some salt on, and then throw them in the trash, burn the trash, put the ashes in an urn, put the urn in a capsule, and send it into outer space.

enough cfc for today

Egg salad is a different beauty of its own, Mr. Tak.
No, no, you just halve the hardboiled egg and smear mayonnaise on it.

My egg salad, proper egg salad, is very good.

Even leaving aside that you need to hard-boil eggs to make stuffed eggs, and the fact that Synsensa does not know hardboiled eggs are best eaten with mayonnaise, hardboiled eggs are awesome in their own right.

Why do you keep trying to kill us all? :(

hard boiled eggs are absolute trash-tier, they're the lowest of the low. out of all the beautiful potential an egg has, hard boiled eggs are the utmost perversion, yes, a crime against nature indeed.

what kind of cruel sadist would boil an egg until all it's beautiful properties are rendered a chalky, dry, tasteless hunk of frustration? you could have made a nice scramble, a beautiful fluffy omelette, a soft and delicate poached egg, a simple and humble sunny side up, a crispy fried egg, a soft boiled egg that is so tender it melts in your mouth, you could've made hollandaise, mayonnaise, a soufflet, pancakes, tortilla, breakfast burrito, a frittata, some shakshouka, ajitsuke tamago, a quiche, oyakadon, the absolute king of all breakfast items, eggs benedict.. onsen tamago, omurice, the possibilities are ENDLESS.

a person who hard boils eggs is, no, has to be, secretly an egg hater. also, boiled eggs objectively reek of sulfuric, aka wet farts, aka what catholics think hell smells like. hard boiled eggs are heresy. the hard boiler is to be burnt at stake.

None of those things have the portability and snack food worthiness of the hard boiled egg. Take it anywhere, peel and eat. What could be easier than that?

What could be easier than that?

eating literally anything else, or just bringing a container so you can bring whatever type of what you want

do you just put hardboiled eggs in your pockets, or in your backpack or what? has anyone ever smushed them? :lol:

Why in the hells would you boil an egg for ten minutes? 3-4 minutes is more than sufficient!

an egg still has a runny yolk if cooked for less than 6 or 7 minutes, depending on the size of the egg. hard boiled eggs have completely coagulated proteins (whites and yolks). by definition anything cooked below 10 minutes is not a hard boiled egg, and anything cooked past 10 minutes is a hard boiled egg.

everything between 8 and 9 minutes is twilight zone.

as for your question.. I really, really don't know.

Could we please talk about some movies again...? ;)

Last week we watched The Mummy (1999 version with Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz :love: ) with our older son, and were happy to find that it is still pretty amusing. But this week he insisted on watching the sequel as well -- you know, the one where Dwayne Johnson was still being credited as The Rock.

I hadn't seen that one, so I watched it out of curiosity, even though I knew Roger Ebert's review was not kind, so I did not have high expectations. But hooo-eeee, that was baaad...

So I'm really hoping the boy won't choose Tomb of the Dragon Emperor as next week's movie...

Also watched Robin Hood: Men In Tights this week with the wife. She laughed more than I did, but then, she's German... ;) I thought SpaceBalls and Blazing Saddles were funnier.

Last edited:
saw Lynch's "Elephant Man" yesterday. it's free on Amazon rn so everyone go watch it. this is a superb movie, completely different from every other Lynch, absolutely unique, mortifying, heartbreaking, with superb performances from Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt. really one of the greatest black and white movies post 1950.

She laughed more than I did, but then, she's German... ;) I thought SpaceBalls and Blazing Saddles were funnier.

or maybe she just has better taste in comedies :p robin hood is a classic, space balls is.. it was an enjoyable movie.

roger ebert is usually a decent bet, but then again he disliked clockwork orange, blue velvet and brazil, so he's far from infallible!

Selma was good but it really painted Johnson out to be a villain. Does anyone know if he ordered J. Edgar Hoover to track King and to blackmail him in such a vile manner? I thought Hoover did a lot of that of his own volition and the blackmail was delivered as a letter to King that told him to kill himself or be revealed rather than an audio recording that Correta listened to with King (not that a letter is much better). Johnson did a ton of terrible stuff but I am not sure he was that vicious of an opponent of King's when it came to the civil rights movement. He did, after all, push through a lot of bills that took the country in the right direction on civil rights. I'm not saying he wasn't necessarily a racist himself to some degree but I've never read accounts that he was such a complete asshat to King. I am relatively uneducated on this, I admit.

In any case, the movie was powerful and moving. It's incredible what a determined group of people can accomplish. They can make an entire country a better place to live in.

Last edited:
David Lynch is great!
Just look at all those 90%+ on the Tomato meter.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/david_lynch

He is all about filming moods.
They aren't meant to make logical sense.

I remember in the Twin Peaks revival, he had a woman days from death in real life do a last phone call scene playing a character who was hours from death.
So sad and touching. :sad:

**Twin Peaks spoilers for more info**:

Last edited:
The best movie I've seen in the last few years remains American Crime Story Season 1; The People vs. OJ Simpson on Netflix.

It has 10 1-hour parts, so it barely counts at a movie, but I could not stop watching it.

hmmh, I like that comment "they aren't meant to make logical sense". they certainly didn't for me on first viewing

for me, every first viewing of a lynch movie gave me the idea that they aren't supposed to make sense

then, on the second viewing, things resolve quite easily, you look past the narrative structure and accept the idea of "dream logic", and then it makes sense, but only under that condition, you unravel the themes and ideas behind the movie, but haven't really grasped their essence

on the third viewing you manage to ignore the plot, time, and space completely and then everything falls into place suddenly and it seems utterly obvious to you (not the meaning of the movie, but what is happening, what is being shown. there are no scenes you cannot pinpoint, that are able to be left out, they all make "conventional" sense)

Elephant Man, The Straight Story & Dune - very conventional movies, conventional narrative, little hidden themes, symbolism, or anything really. straightforward, but beautiful cinematography, story and acting

The L.A. trilogy (Lost Highway, Mullholland Dr, Inland Empire) - utterly confusing at first, but they unravel after further analysis if you're at least vaguely familiar with film theory and have seen them a couple of times. I can give a pretty solid summa of my "interpretation" for both plot and meaning in a few sentences, though it took lots of time to get there

Blue Velvet and Eraserhead - these are probably Lynch at his peak and simultaneously his most multifaceted and meaningful movies. they purposefully allow for hundreds of different interpretations, if not thousands. those really are movies which you are not supposed to "get" at all, because they defeat the paradigm of "a movie has one correct interpretation". it's Lynch going full Roland Barthes. he hints at this in interviews. these movies have easily understandable narratives but are indecypherable.

Twin Peaks & Fire Walk With You - peak absurdist Lynch. I'll refrain from commenting on these since I've only seen them once.

everyone who calls Lynch a one trick pony is just a liar or arguing in bad faith.

Last edited:
I didn't say I was offended, I only said that one response was more offensive than the other. ;)

Although I don't really know what you mean by stooping to my level when I've said nothing about you as an individual while your responses are always personal to me.

Me thinking Lynch isn't a good director isn't something judgemental about you. Unless you're Lynch, I guess.

The Mummy II is not a good film, but it's perfectly watchable. I quite enjoyed it back in the day, unlike the the next film.

The Mummy II is not a good film, but it's perfectly watchable. I quite enjoyed it back in the day, unlike the the next film.
The Mummy Returns was great. Fraser and Weisz were fantastic and Hannah oscillated between hilarious-irritating and irritating-irritating. Everybody looked like they were having fun. The weird attempt to build a whole mythology for the film's characters was a bit much, but outside of that, it was funny, pulpy, bombastic fun with a thoroughly appropriate soundtrack.

It's not nearly the masterpiece that the first film was, but then, few films are. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom