1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? 13 - In a world where...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Never ask ‘how could it get worse’.

2. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Our local Sparkasse is currently offering discounted(/free?) tickets, to its 'Mäusekonto' childrens' savings-account holders. Pretty sure that doesn't bode well for the quality...

On topic:

Yesterday evening, we all went to a 3-hour docu-film marathon at the local multiplex:

Odd mix, but interesting in places.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Watching Ran (1985, iirc).

I think it is poignant to use Ran, a movie by so famous (and good) a director, based (generally, but obviously) on King Lear, to juxtapose film to book. Regardless of it being nice as a film, the story is just not of the same level as in the play. And i have no reason to believe it is a case of know more than thou showest.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Adapting very successful source material is always fraught, so you have to give Kurosawa credit for doing it as well as he did. He also did Macbeth, with Throne of Blood. And of course Kurosawa was himself so influential on Western film - A Fistful of Dollars; Star Wars; The Magnificent Seven - that I find a kind of satisfying circularity there.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I like Ran better than any Shakespeare adaptions I've seen on the telly.

6. Kyriakos

The ending scene was very good. With the blind man stumbling on the edge of the wall of the castle, and finally losing the buddha image which was supposed to protect him.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

On topic, I got to watch Much Ado about Nothing, from about thirty years ago, with a star-studded cast (Kenneth Branagh and Denzel Washington and Emma Thompson and so on). That one was a good one.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Just watched Rogue One: A Star Wars Story again. I think it's the best Star Wars film released since 1997.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Watched Detective Pikachu. For a kids movie it is pretty good, and entertaining enough as an adult who never played any Pokémon games or watched any of the shows as a kid.

10. Kyriakos

11. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Everyone watch Maude - not sure what it streams on right now. Sally Hawkins should have won an Oscar for this one. Read a little on the subject before watching. Saw it in the theatre about a year ago, but don't go to theatre much any more except for special stuff...you know..like Avengers or something.

My prediction is Aladdin will be total rubbish
    haha..2012 was fun in a mindless forgettable sort of way

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. Kyriakos

This seems interesting.
    Though i hope it isn't the usual covert apologism ala "germans were like everyone else, the war made them do it".

13. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

John Wick 3 - The term "orgy of violence" comes to mind. It's somehow more brutal and more creative in the way it does its violence. But like the other two movies I found myself getting numb to it all and started looking at the backgrounds, which are honestly beautiful, rather than the actual fights.

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

A Breath Away / Dans la Brume (2018)

Very reminiscent of The Last Days / Los Ultimos Dias (2013). Practically a remake. The French film is more intriguing visually, with its thick, low fog and Olga Kurylenko, but the Spanish version explored the aftermath of the disaster a little more. All in all, I think I preferred the Spanish movie. I would only recommend A Breath Away to the disaster movie aficionado, but it's not bad. It's also reminiscent of IO, which I found a bit unsatisfying; I liked this one better than that one. These European movies don't have the spectacle of the American cinema blockbusters (Armageddon; The Day After Tomorrow; 2012; The Core), they're smaller in scope, which I kind of like, and it probably makes them easier to watch on a small screen. I noticed that one of my streaming services has the sequel to The Wave / Bølgen (2015): The Quake / Skjelvet (2018). Same cast, but a different director. That might be next in my disaster movie queue. I don't really have a disaster movie queue. Just a figure of speech.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin. An almost zero budget 1978 Jackie Chan vehicle. Unfortunately not as entertaining as that sounds; it's before Jackie really figured out his voice as the kung fu Buster Keaton, so he spends the film in an extended Bruce Lee impression. But, he does get to do some classic weapons work, so worth a watch for what I'm going to go ahead and assume are called "Chan-atics".

tjs282, hobbsyoyo and yung.carl.jung like this.
  16. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

They made a third one? Is this going to be like Liam's Taken series? :lol:

Lexicus and Kyriakos like this.
  17. Kyriakos

You might like The last wave:

18. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Depends on what you mean. Keanu blows Liam out of the water as a convincing action star. In terms of milking a single concept for all it's worth, yeah it's the same. But what's new in Hollywood?

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I too just found about this, but I know that John Wick 2 was well-reviewed and according to wikipedia John Wick 3 has been as well, which is afaik quite unusual for that kind of thing.

20. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

They both blow. Keanu is now 54 and Liam is 66. Neither is very believable as an action hero anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.