Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like that groundhog day. All the streaming services failed me on edge of tomorrow. Village library came through tho, yay!

saving private Ryan was less sanitized than what came before it. Nothing I had watched before had the guts to do the scene with the surrendering defenders on d day. Bonus points if you translate what they were saying.

Last edited:
The Throwaways. It was a movie. There were pictures, and these pictures moved. Things even happened. These things happening caused other things to happen. There was a lot of happening for an hour and thirty minutes. 5/10.

October Sky. Absolutely fantastic film. Movie based on the childhood of Hickam, a NASA engineer. Excellent pacing and characters. @hobbsyoyo, have you seen this? 9.5/10.

We were pretty exited to be going to a pre-screening for A Quiet Place: Part II next Monday. Unfortunately, Covid-19 claimed it as another victim. The screening's been cancelled and the movie postponed indefinitely. :(
I think a lot of movies are going to be delayed. Disney has already delayed a few. I imagine other studios will follow suit, if they haven't already.

October Sky. Absolutely fantastic film. Movie based on the childhood of Hickam, a NASA engineer. Excellent pacing and characters. @hobbsyoyo, have you seen this? 9.5/10.
People in middle/high school used to take pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal and draw black glasses on them and put my name on it because I used to look a lot like him. Then they found out I was also into rockets and I was forced to watch the movie.* Thank you for the opportunity to humblebrag!

It is an awesome movie. :)

*unfortunately I was so anti-social that I never capitalized on this

I saw Joker last night. I expected grim but dayum that movie really tells a tragic story of mental illness. It's a superhero movie but it had more in common with The Machinist than Batman in my opinion. I liked it but it was deeply unsettling. I do not really see a glorification of mass shooters in this movie. I mean I see where those critics are coming from but it's a stretch. I felt sympathy for Aurthor but I do not think he was justified or glorified. The movie even ends with him back in the asylum rather than out acting like the Batman-fighting supervillain you would expect.

Re-watched Batman Begins yesterday. Last time I watched it was in late 2005, as an in-flight movie on a 4" x 6" screen (and the sound-quality wasn't great either), so seeing it on a widescreen television was definitely an improved viewing experience. The film itself... was OK.

The Dark Knight is the best in that trilogy.

Following WW2 there were restrictions on male and female relationships between service men/citizens of different countries. This movie points out the silliness of some of the restrictions.

Last edited:
plus the stone cold-hearted killer in Collateral and the berserk studio head in Tropic Thunder. He's really a very good actor when he puts his mind to it. :yeah:
Yeah, I watched Collateral recently and Snatch was on yesterday. I was thinking earlier today that both Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt actually are good actors when they're not just doing pretty boys and/or action figure stuff.

Don Verdeen was surprisingly good. In it, Sam Rockwell plays a religious archaeologist grifter that is paid by Danny McBride to bring back an artifact from the holy land. Sam sets off on a ton of hijinks and he hires another grifter (played by a brilliant Jemaine Clement) that helps him do grifter things while fleecing the rest of the flock.

It was very funny.

Wow! I just watched "Free Solo" . I used to climb in my younger days, so what this guy was clearly astounding and beyond comprehension. Watch it. For those who don't know, it is the story of a guy who free climbs (no ropes or protection) 3200 feet of sheer granite wall up El Capitan in Yosemite. Simply amazing to watch. :love:

Spoiler :
At one point in the movie they MRI his brain and find that his amygdala is difficult to stimulate so his fight or flight fear routine doesn't kick in like it does with most people. That would be certainly part of why he can do such things. Being on the autism spectrum probably plays a part too.

If you appreciate practical FX and stuntwork in action movies even half as much as I do, these vids are worth 15 minutes of your time (and, hey, we all have a lot of time on our hands right now). The first vid features one of the stunt doubles for Chadwick Boseman in Captain America: Civil War breaking down the Bucky-Black Panther-Capt America chase scene. The second vid features one of the doubles for Scarlett Johansson talking about the highway chase in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's kind of unbelievable how much in these scenes isn't CGI.

Akira.

I ruined the movie for the people I was watching with when I mentioned the little girl looked like Handsome Squidward.

And I think the true protagonist of the movie was Kaneda's bike. It survived everything, even when it shouldn't have. Now that's what I like to call plot armour.

The Hunt - Cartoonishly gory that gets silly at points. Lots of political talk, mostly satire that pokes fun at both liberals and conservatives but nothing too deep to say. Good for some silly violence and if you're able to laugh at other people and yourself. 6/10

The Invisible Man - The name of the movie gives away the premise but it is wonderfully made. Extremely good camera work that sort of suggests where the invisible guy is. Opening scene is masterful in that it shows but doesn't tell, letting the viewer know what's going on while still leaving some mystery to it. Great performance by Elizabeth Moss. Story is really well done. 9.5/10

Just started watching

Am a big movie watcher, seldom do any disturb my sleep ... this did.

Last edited:
Just started it, looks interesting.

I'm halfway watching Onward with my kids... as in they're in my bedroom watching it and I am tuning in and out while doing other things.

I have to admit... from the limited part I've paid attention to... this has been a damn good movie... Pretty moving actually... I might even re-watch once the kids go to sleep.

It was pretty much what I expected it to be... kinda a cartoon riff on the concept of Bright, but alot more focused on the fun fantasy stuff instead of focused on being edgy and dark... which was a refreshing change, somewhat ironically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom