1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

:lol: I'm sure.

EgonSpengler and Kyriakos like this.
  2. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I can tell you I tried both suggestions and it didn't help. It's Mario Bart-tier humor.

I like both, but Vikander fits Tomb Raider better imo. Also, the latter films are a bit less chliched and over the top, which makes the movie more serious and a bit less funny. she also acts better, but I was never a huge fan of Jolie's acting anway.

The_J likes this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

A Separation (2011), an Iranian 100% divorce drama that -Wikipedia tells me- won an Oscar and a few other awards in 2012.
    I later went on TVTropes and it turns out there was a fourth film in 2015 but I never even registered it.

4. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Molly's Game. Excellent performances all round. Now tempted to read the book, just to see what was movie-fied.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  5. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Warlord

Recently, I watched a few movies from Japan and Korea:
    Princess Mononoke: animated film taking place in Sengoku era Japan, very intense and with a lot of adventure and demons
    Cheese in the Trap: A Korean drama film, much awkwardness and backstories and love triangles.
    Fate stay/night Heavens Feel II: Lost Butterfly: the second film about the Fuyuki grail war with epic fight scenes produced by Ufotable.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

R.E.D. :goodjob: Bruce Willis is an ex-CIA operative who is "Retired, Extremely Dangerous." Suddenly there are hit teams stalking him and the lady who handles his pension payment problems. Best modern-day spy movie I've seen. :sniper:

Birdjaguar, rah and tjs282 like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Just watched The Siege of Jadotville. I mostly liked it, but didn't like the fact that there was a lot of pro-UN propaganda hogwash in it. The real Siege of Jadotville was a proud moment in Irish military history carried out by Irish soldiers, yet the movie downplays that and tried to play up the idea that it was a proud moment in UN military history with all of its "they did the UN proud" crap.

8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Given that they were apparently a part of the UNOC operating over there, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Ajidica likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

They were Irish soldiers conducting a UN mission, not UN soldiers. So I think it would be more accurate to call it an Irish military operation in support of the UN rather than calling them UN peacekeepers. The latter implies they "belong" to the UN.

Aside from that though, the movie definitely tried hard to overstate the UN's importance as an organization and tried to convey the message that the UN is an organization that must be strengthened in order to ensure world peace. That's the pro-UN propaganda hogwash that I'm referring to. I especially rolled my eyes hard when the movie tried several times to imply that the UN is the sole reason the world hasn't descended into another world war. Such an implication is of course ridiculous.

haroon and yung.carl.jung like this.
  10. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

yup. friendly reminder UN troops were watching and standing by while Tutsi were literally being genocided with machetes and mallets in plain sight. but yeah, praise the world police..

Commodore, haroon and Kyriakos like this.
  11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I had my first bomb during movie club today. :( 21 Jump Street, they didn't like it. I should have expected that. I picked it so that I could pick 22 Jump Street later, but now I think I'll just pass.

Watched Polar yesterday. Really meh.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I've probably seen this movie way too many times, but I can't stop myself. The sequel is also entertaining.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

The Other Boleyn Girl - The movie is about King Henry VIII and how horrible he was to his wives and mistresses. It has an great cast but unfortunately it also has a lot of problems. Most of the characters are all 1 note. The movie jumps around large stretches of time where a lot of interesting stuff is glossed over or told through exposition.

The Duchess - Similar themes as The Other Boleyn Girl as it's about a stuffy, aristocratic British man and how terrible he was to his wife, except this time it's in the 18th century and about the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. It's also much better written and acted.

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino films just aren't for me. It was amusing at times but mostly I found it disturbing.

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

13 assassins.

This was a stupid movie. 13 samurai defeat 200 samurai. Even most anime are more realistic than this garbage.

haroon likes this.
  15. Takhisis

Excuse me, Mr. K, but I have to agree with Mr. Traitorfish on this. 13 assassins has a plot that is an excuse for awesome cinematography and carnage (there's a hypernym-hyponym relationship there, perhaps). As such it is an excellent product.
    For intellectual stimulation I stick to Borges, though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Kyriakos likes this.
  16. haroon

haroon Deity

Most of the best Samurai movie I've known are slow burn.

1. Twilight Samurai/Tasogare Seibei

This is a story about a poor, low wages Samurai, his life dynamic and struggle. He studied sword fighting under a famous well respected sword-master, but it doesn't give him any leverage in his career or social status, and he is no super hero, even a duel consumed his breath and stamina.

2. Love and Honour/Bushi no ichibun

Another story of a low rank Samurai, who work as a food taster for a local Daimyo to make sure the food is save for consumption,
    Spoiler :
    which in the opening one of the menu that he consume poisoned him and caused him his eyes-sight.

3. After The Rain/ Ame agaru

Not so many people know about this, this is Akira Kurosawa work that never materialized during his life-time, it's materialized later in 1999 under the direction of Takashi Koizumi. So far in my view this is the best story and screen play that Akira Kurosawa actually can work on before he passed away. And still I'm very satisfied with the 1999 result.

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  17. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Robocop (1987)

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Takhisis

We all know that Robocop's from 1987, cardgame.

Kurtwood Smith is awesome.

19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I'd buy that for a dollar.

20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

They were operating under UN authority, with a UN flag, under UN control. You don't think trying to demonstrate the legal complexities of the UN-TCC relation might be a bit much for the movie?
    Anyhow, in contemporary reporting, they were commonly referred to as 'UN/ONUC Forces'. National designations only entered into it when reporting was looking at specific areas, such as Irish peacekeepers in Katanga, or Tunisian/Egyptian peacekeepers in the north.

Honestly, I'm surprised you weren't grumpier about an F-4 Phantom II (an American warplane) being used in the shootdown of Hammarskjold's plane instead of one actually flown by Katanga. (The entire depiction of the shootdown was wrong. It happened at night, not bright day. The plane was shot down close to the ground on approach to the Ndola airport, not in the middle of the sky. Also, the plane was not shot down by an American military jet. The exact plane used is unclear as arguments have been advanced for either the Fouga Magister*, a de Havilland Dove, or a Dornier Do-28.)

*Which is the plane I would have used in the movie, as they already had a CGI model of the Magister used for the strafing attacks on UN positions in Jadotville.

That's unfair to the bravery shown by UNAMIR. After both the RPF and Rwandan government agreed to a ceasefire, UNAMIR was brought in -at the request of both sides- to oversee the ceasefire. UNAMIR was not created to enforce peace. During the lead up to the genocide, the UN leadership was nonexistent in large part because they didn't know what to do. For example, UNAMIR learned about a large arms stash that was being distributed to Hutu extremists and petitioned the UN for the ability to raid it. The UN didn't want to authorize the raid on the arms stash because they were afraid of it being seen as a hostile action and the Rwandan government would kick UNAMIR out. UN leadership was also afraid of the raid going badly and leading to a sort of 'Black Hawk Down' situation, where instead of heavily armed and supported US troops trapped in an urban environment, it was some lightly armed UN peacekeepers with the only help available some Belgian paratroopers.
    When the genocide erupted, the UN was paralyzed. None of the traditional troop-contributing countries wanted to send their forces into an active warzone, and neither the RPF nor Rwandan government had any interest whatsoever in a negotiated settlement. The P5 all behaved badly, but of the P5, only France had any meaningful capacity to intervene.* France, of course, was demonstrating why nobody should trust them in Africa and were trying to protect the genocidaires, first with diplomatic cover then with Operation Turquoise.

*China and Russia had no ability to intervene. The UK had let their African intervention capacity deteriorate. The US was unable to use its carriers in Rwanda and were terrified of another Black Hawk Down situation.

EDIT: Fixed url link per Takhisis.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    hobbsyoyo and The_J like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.