Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notable exceptions:

-12 Angry Men
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Monty Python
-Blade Runner
-Smokey and the Bandit
-Parent Trap

-Lots of Disney animations, but that's almost a separate category

Off the top of my head:
-The Bank Dick
-Safety Last
-City Lights
-East of Eden
-Harvey
-The Ten Commandments
-Cyrano de Bergerac (Jose Ferrer version)
-The Three Musketeers (Gene Kelly Version)
-Hallelujah Trail
-In the Heat of the Night
-They Might be Giants
-Casablanca
-The Count of Monte Cristo (Richard Chamberlain version)
-Taming of the Shrew (Burton/Taylor version)
-Scaramouche
-Beau Brummel
-Thunderball

Raiders of the Lost Ark still holds up today.

Comedies are the strongest exceptions due to their nature. I don't think I'm familiar with that one though.
I think comedies are, shall we say, well-represented among the cultural artifacts that have become groan-worthy today. With so much humor based on poking fun at people, you end up with huge amounts of insensitive material, particularly when it comes to racism and homophobia. At least Mel Brooks was doing it ironically, so you could say he was ahead of his time.

Some movies older than 30 years that I think would hold probably up to a first viewing today:
Alien
Aliens
Brazil
Full Metal Jacket
Jaws
John Carpenter's The Thing
This is Spinal Tap
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

It's highly subjective and probably depends heavily on how old you are. For me, most movies pre-1980 aren't that great. There are exceptions of course. I took a history of film class back in school and some of the Charlie Chaplin silent films I found amusing.

It's highly subjective and probably depends heavily on how old you are. For me, most movies pre-1980 aren't that great. There are exceptions of course. I took a history of film class back in school and some of the Charlie Chaplin silent films I found amusing.
This is why I try to think of it as "stands up to a first viewing today." It's difficult - for me, at any rate - to separate my warm feelings for something I saw decades ago or have watched several times and look at it from the perspective of someone who grew up with The Matrix or The Lord of the Rings or The Avengers at the same ages I was when I saw the original Star Wars trilogy. I'm even wracking my brain to think of films that would have left a kid thunderstruck, as Star Wars did my generation. I'm not even sure The Matrix or Fellowship or Avengers are analogous, I'm just guessing. But I think someone could see Aliens today for the first time after having already been knocked down by Mad Max: Fury Road and still think it was dope. "Maternal figure as butt-kicking action heroine" wouldn't be the headline for Aliens anymore, but I think that movie has more to offer than that.

There aren't any good movies filmed before the '90s, change my mind.
The Godfather
The Godfather, part II
The Empire Strikes Back
That should suffice, but I'll throw in anything starring Marcello Mastroianni and anything directed by Carl Theodor Dreier, Kinji Fukasaku or Sergio Leone.

And this is because I have a secret.
The are films that weren't made in nor by Hollywood.

Angel Has Fallen (apparently the third in a series of films) shows the travails of the top Secret Service agent Mike Banning as he is framed for the attempted assassination of the sitting US President. Great action-filled romp that reminds me of a lot of video games: a combat obstacle course not out of place in Modern Warfare 2, Ace Combat 7 drones but Kamikaze instead of Combat, Grand Theft Auto V highway chases, and ends as a heavily-imbalanced match of Rainbow Six: Siege. Hell, you've even got Sylens from Horizon: Zero Dawn around as the USSS director. Expecting a bog-standard action film, I was surprised by the quality of the writing, characterization, cinematography, and choreography. As an example, did not expect the subplot with Banning's dad to be so emotional, humorous, and gripping. The only weaknesses are a few contrivances for the plot like a helicopter tracking someone through a forest not being equipped with FLIR.

Here I am!

There aren't any good movies filmed before the '90s, change my mind.

Oh, I understand there are important and influential and game-changing films, but they're all freaking crap by today's standards.

Notable exceptions:

-12 Angry Men
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Monty Python
-Blade Runner
-Smokey and the Bandit
-Parent Trap

-Lots of Disney animations, but that's almost a separate category

I mean, you literally just changed your own mind here.

But more to the point, I think you're embodying some wrong-headed thinking here which frames film as a technology which interminably and unyieldingly lurches towards incremental advance; which views film as a portfolio of predilections and techniques which a director must tick off to achieve a fresh tomato rating, rather than, y'know an expression of an artistic medium aiming to use tools at hand to express thoughts and ideas and tell stories. Obviously I think this is wrong, for the simple reason that, while, sure, technology and techniques may have advanced - snappy editing and sound mixing are certainly easier today than in the times when cuts were literally that - but it's rather silly to declare that Murnau is inferior to Bay because Bay has "more better cuts," for the same reason to declare that Shakespeare or Virgil or Austen are inferior to Rowling and Brown and Meyer because they use "more better words," or that Giotto or Monet are inferior to Rothko and Warhol because they used "more better paints and brushstrokes." To take a more charitable implementation of your argument, are Mozart and Bach by-definition inferior to Stravinsky or the Beatles or Bowie because they wrote their music prior to the invention of the Saxophone or the re-discovery of exotic scales or the development of poly-rhythms? Is the music of Billie Holliday or Gerschwinn or Ellington or Charlie Parker rendered the less beautiful, profound, or complex because they predate the development of modal jazz by Miles Davis, free jazz by Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, and Fusion jazz by Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock? No, these are patently absurd notions. Even if you take away a singularly temporal/progressional/technological argument, and substitute, say a "well modern [art medium] is by definition superior because it's more relateable, and is better able to speak to modern tastes vis-à-vis historical milieu, tempo/pacing, or style," you still run into the same problem, which is, to crib Derrida, that great works of art precisely because they can't be limited to just one interpretation, to just one cultural mode of existence, but because they are open to manifold interpretations, and thereby are able to capture the imaginations of millions across time and space. In terms of structure, Pride and Prejudice basically wrote the formula for the modern romance, but even still, even if I and millions of readers around the globe, aren't utterly enmeshed in the particulars of the early 19th century English aristocratic milieu, it's still a deeply entrancing work on its own merits, and one I would absolutely prefer to the vast majority of modern productions of literary romance.

Another way to examine this would be to look at philosophy, which would much more closely adhere to this progressional framework: Aristotle draws from Plato, Augustine draws from both, Ockham and Aquinas draw from all three and so on. Surely such a system, theoretically committed to accruing true knowledge and answering the big questions about the human condition, would accelerate towards a singularity. And yet that is, and has never been, the case. The truly great philosophical minds are still relevant to this day, and relevant in ipso - for their own sake. If you want to get into philosophy, the answer isn't: "Oh just read Zizek or Baudrillard or Derrida because they represent some developmental telos which perfectly synthesizes the thinking of Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Lacan." Rather, the practice of studying philosophy is to read the works of these thinkers on their own terms, and subsequently to put their thinkings in dialogue with one another.

Which is all mostly just to say that I don't like the way you've framed your assertion. Art is by definition subjective; it's subject to individual taste, and a taste which even within the individual is ephemeral. You like what you like. Cool. You do you. I won't object. But I can and will object to the transformation of this expression of personal taste into a grand unified theory of art and art interpretation, and thereby the willful shutting yourself off from a massive treasure trove of incredibly profound, incredibly moving, and, most especially, of incredibly diverse artistic productions.

It seems to me like the reason you're making the declaration you have, is simply because you haven't seen a whole lot of movies outside of that 90s-and-beyond wheelhouse. Your exempla (even the exceptions) are extremely America- (and institutional Hollywood-) centric. So to leave off here, I'll list out some prominent directors from my personal favorite decade, all of whom absolutely exceed the best of 90s-present cinema in my eyes.

20s Cinema

America
Buster Keaton
Harold Lloyd
Charlie Chaplin
Ernst Lübitsch
Erich von Stroheim
King Vidor
Robert Flaherty
Lois Weber
Oscar Micheaux

Sweden/Denmark
Victor Sjöström
Mauritz Stiller
Carl Theodore Dreyer

Russia
Boris Barnet
Yevgeni Bauer
Yakov Protazanov
Dziga Vertov
Lev Kuleshov
Sergei Eisenstein
Vsevolod I. Pudovkin
Alexander Dovzhenko

India
Homi Master
Baburao Painter

Germany
Fritz Lang
Max Ophüls
Robert Wiene
F.W. Murnau

Spain
Florián Rey
Salvador Dalí
Luís Buñuel

France
Germain Dulac
Abel Gance
Jean Epstein
Marcel L'Herbier
Francis Picabia
René Clair

Japan
Teinosuke Kinugasa

Brazil
Alberto Cavalcanti

(side-thought) Ah, there it is. Owen wrote an essay on what I would have spelled out in a dozen sentences or not.
I remember that in my early years of linguistic formation I was encouraged to be verbose by the simple expedient of being told that if I didn't answer each question in a minimum number of words/lines I'd automatically fail. And then I got pulled by my hair in the opposite direction, being told to be concised and that for a translator to use parentheses and footnotes was a capital sin, punished by loss of customers, and now I cannot but help tend towards the one-liner. Now I need to move the other way and find my lost path.

I thought the way I framed it left room for your and other black-and-white-lovers 'great' films while emphasizing my personal interpretation of 'good'. I found Casablanca and Roman Holiday (two absolute classic great works, according to many) to be boring and unwatchable tbh so it would seem that the entire style that is early cinema is not for me. 12 Angry Men works as a great exception for me because you could make the same exact movie today and it would be just as good. The "all movie in one room" works because it demands greatness in other aspects of the film, aspects which are not really held back at all by technology or obsolete stylistic preferences imo. The Man From Earth is a modern example.

I just find it strange that "today's standards" and "good films" are being used synonymously.

I think the original Jurassic Park stands up. So does E.T., Superman II is pretty clutch too.

Something I realized when thinking about this topic is that movies which aren't Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or animated are less susceptible to becoming unwatchable due to aesthetic obsolescence. So a drama like Shawshank Redemption or The Color Purple or The Godfather is going to have an easier time than beloved Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Animated Classics like Star Trek II, Clash of the Titans or Transformers: The Movie.

True Grit (1969) is the first Western I've watched in entirety, and I'll have to say it makes a damn fine introduction to the genre. Mattie Ross (Kim Darby) is a strong-willed young woman who hires "Rooster" Cogburn (John Wayne), a US Marshal who bends the rules but shows true grit in getting the job done. Really enjoyed the characters and dialogue, and I see why Wayne was considered a colossus in classic Hollywood circles. Decent music and story, which even plays with the whole Damsel in Distress trope. Also to be noted is the very fair portrayal of minorities considering the decade the film was released, with the only bigotry coming from the mouths of characters raised in that period.

True Grit (1969) is the first Western I've watched in entirety, and I'll have to say it makes a damn fine introduction to the genre. Mattie Ross (Kim Darby) is a strong-willed young woman who hires "Rooster" Cogburn (John Wayne), a US Marshal who bends the rules but shows true grit in getting the job done. Really enjoyed the characters and dialogue, and I see why Wayne was considered a colossus in classic Hollywood circles. Decent music and story, which even plays with the whole Damsel in Distress trope. Also to be noted is the very fair portrayal of minorities considering the decade the film was released, with the only bigotry coming from the mouths of characters raised in that period.
True Grit could be a good case-study on older-v-newer films, since it has a recent remake that was pretty well-regarded.

True Grit (1969) is the first Western I've watched in entirety, and I'll have to say it makes a damn fine introduction to the genre.
Have to admit I haven't seen the original, but the Coen Brothers remake is pretty damn good (as well).

Oof, ninja'd again :ninja:

You need the true Dracula, which I'm about to watch.

Released in 1968? OK boomer

I think the oldest movie I like is Grease.

Of all the Dracula adaptions, I've seen the two 1931 adaptions from Universal, the English one with Bela Lugosi and the Spanish one filmed on the same sets. I've also seen the Francis Ford Coppola adaption from 1992.

Citizen Kane might be a great illustration of my point. I haven't actually seen it, but I have seen youtube videos where it has been mentioned at length. It's described as groundbreaking, innovative, even defining of the entire movie industry after it was released. The problem with being the first good movie is that every movie after you improves upon the baseline you drew up, so like the record holder for the 1936 Olympics, it is no longer considered good. It's outdated. It's full of tropes we've already seen before (in newer movies) and perhaps not executed as well (it was the first time they did it, no practice, no frame of reference for improvements). To make another analogy, Quake was the first (second?) 3D shooter and it was ridiculously cool and amazing... when it was new. It's unplayable now. It's aged.

The main problem with films like Citizen Kane, The Simpsons has referenced Citizen Kane so many times that the writers and producers of The Simpsons have joked that it's possible to recreate Citizen Kane with clips from The Simpsons.

Beverly Hills Cop is just perfect comedy, IMO.

I saw all three of those recently, having only ever watched the third one many years ago.

I think the original Jurassic Park stands up. So does E.T., Superman II is pretty clutch too.

Something I realized when thinking about this topic is that movies which aren't Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or animated are less susceptible to becoming unwatchable due to aesthetic obsolescence. So a drama like Shawshank Redemption or The Color Purple or The Godfather is going to have an easier time than beloved Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Animated Classics like Star Trek II, Clash of the Titans or Transformers: The Movie.
Well that's because Godfather is a great movie, while Transformers is trash. Classic sci-fi movies such as Metropolis or 2001 still enjoy a good rep (even if they're not my cup of tea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom