1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Yesterday, I watched Star Wars, Ep. IV & V. :dance: What wonderful movies! Ep. VI tonight. :popcorn:

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

@Takhisis - Did you ever see Tolkien that came out last year?

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

No, not yet. Is it any good?

4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

We enjoyed it. Saw it at a special early screening where they had a live Q&A with the actors and director, which was really illuminating. It's amazing how much research went into it.

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

When the truth is found to be lies and all the joy within you dies...:old:

Who can guess what I just watched? Such a delight! :w00t:

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I've recently watched "Fight the future"
    I also think that "Titanic" is overrated ....

7. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

1917 - I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did when it came out. An absolutely stunning visual masterpiece.

hobbsyoyo and Laurana Kanan like this.
  8. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

The Old Guard. Pretty mediocre. Don't get the hype. Someone described it as an "actually good X-Men movie" to me. Whaaaat?

The_J likes this.
  9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Jumanji: The Next Level. Not very good. The first was far better than it had any right to be. This one spent a lot of time waffling and expected I remembered certain character interactions from the first movie.
    There was a neat rocket-powered airship at the end which was cool.

Traitorfish likes this.
  10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, the Predator (not the good one, just the 2018 one)

In the first 6 min of the movie you have some random army sniper who was there just to kill a cartel boss, deciding to:

-approach an obviously high-tech aircraft which crush-landed
    -find it wise to touch nameless green goo which might have been toxic, radioactive or otherwise kill him
    -pick up and place on his hand strange technology arm-band looking object (which immediately locks due to reasons, but he doesn't seem to care much about this
    -make stupid joke about "all this is above our pay-grade" when up to now he acted the other way around
    -Predator has not that high-functioning camouflage and decided it is a good idea to show himself anyway
    -Predator fires at two army guys but they just jump away (maybe one died, not sure) and their weapons fall to the ground
    -strange locked-in high tech arm-band auto-activates on the human soldier's arm and fires at the predator
    -predator doesn't get killed cause apparently all was done just to showcase how powerful the armband's shot is, cause it cuts a human body in two despite only knocking out the predator
    -human soldier gets a look at the predator, who is on the ground and seems hurt/immobile, so decides to run instead of picking up the gun he lost in the large explosion which only was there to make him lose his gun

I am wondering who writes the script for these movies :vomit:

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

The Old Guard

Jumanji the Next Level

Neither were great, but worthwhile enough to watch.

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I looked all over for it but no can find. :sad: It must have been lost to the ravages of salt air and time. :cry:

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Bah, the LotR movie trilogy is a masterpiece from start to overly-long finish. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and has no credibility whatsoever. Now The Hobbit trilogy is an entirely different matter, and certainly subject to debate about how bad/good it is. Personally think it was pretty meh, but I'm not going to strenuously dispute anyone who says its garbage.

14. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Y'all need to start watching movies you enjoy again instead of just anything that is new. I don't think I've read a single positive review from either Kyr or Cutlass in a long time, though my memory may be fading :D

I recently saw "Pain and Glory" by Almodovar and that movie almost made me bawl like a child, not because it was so sad or depressing, but because of that absolutely unexpected wholly wonderful romance towards the end. Personally I am not a fan of romance movies, nor of rom-coms, and this movie is more a drama than anything, but boy did it get that romance right. Cinematographically it was breathtaking, the color palette was exquisite, just a great experience over all. A bit self indulgent, but that was also kind of the nature of the film, it wasn't necessarily bad.

This movie is from 2019, so I doubt many people have seen it on here.

Then I had my mind blown away by "The Spy who came from the Cold" (1965) by Martin Ritt, based on a novel by John le Carré. Absolutely athmospherical masterpiece. The characters are so well done you just want to save.. all of them. Rarely do you see a "villain" portrayed that well, not just in contemporary cinema but.. Ever. Nail-bitingly suspenseful, full of twists and turns, cold as a witches teet yet one is not left feeling dissatisfied, quite the opposite: John le Carré genuiously portrays the ambivalences of espionage, the cold war, and of course he takes a dump on Brits, which I always appreciate. Absolute Masterpiece, anyone should see this, I give it 5 bags of popcorn and a tattered copy of the communist manifesto.

Both can be true. The LotR movies were obviously masterpieces in terms of cinematography and also in terms of editing. They were hugely influential, too, in those regards. There are few technical complaints to be made there.

But in terms of the screenplay, the dialogue, the implications this film pushes forward, I think @Takhisis is correct. I loved those movies as a child, but man some of Aragorns dialogue is so freaking poor. I am not a Tolkienhead and do not care about either the books or the movies, so I won't go deeper here, but there are definitely legitimate qualms to be had about screenplay, dialogue, and the way they "adapted" the books.

Honestly, from what I've heard from friends and read in articles, LotR is kind of a celebration and defense of nature, and paints war in a negative light (please correct me if I'm wrong). The movies on the other hand genuinely feel like pro-war propaganda, like honestly. All the things I can remember from the movie have to do with war, there are only very few scenes of Frodo or Gollum that I do remember somewhat. It seems like they really pushed the war aspect even more in the later movies.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  15. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Hard to know that beforehand, right?

That said, I just watched Jupiter Ascending.
    Sci-Fi opera, which is great to look at, but the story is garbage, which can probably at least partially be attributed that it's going waaayyyy too fast. Would maybe have worked better as a series, I don't know.
    At least it can't have been worse than my first choice today, Game Over, Man!, which I watched for 5 minutes and then decided that it's already too dumb at that point to continue with it.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  16. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Since you've joined CFC? If it ain't Kafka, he ain't interested.

yung.carl.jung and AdamCrock like this.
  17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

"The kingdom of Heaven" is like romanticized version of history , which is much more brutal, Salah E Din or whatever his name was. Was never such a "nice guy" I mean he ordered slaughter on a regular basis, much like the crusaders did. (kill all men, elderly, woman not eligible for marriage etc.) I don't know if crusaders murdered his sister , but it sounds probable.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  18. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Idk man, I constantly see people coming away disappointed from movies, meanwhile I genuinely have not watched A SINGLE bad movie (or rather: a movie I really disliked) in like.. two years (if anyone cares, that movie was "sausage party"). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I hand-pick all the movies I watch since I have neither satellite nor cable (nor any) TV and do not use streaming services (besides Amazon prime, which I have mostly to save money on Christmas presents). Or maybe it's because I mostly go by director, not genre. No idea. I've seen some mediocre movies, ofc, but nothing terrible. Do not even remember the last time I shut off a movie mid-viewing honestly.

It definitely is, but it's still a great movie imho. Very graphic though. I remember being like 12 years old, in the cinema with my friend and his dad, filling up on sprite and gummyworms, and then this guy gets hit by an arrow and they pull it out with rusty tongs. I nearly vomited, felt queasy that entire day :D :D

AdamCrock likes this.
  19. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Saladin did enjoy a rather positive reputation in Medieval Europe as an example of being a good/merciful king. In Dante's Divine Comedy, he considered Saladin to be a virtuous non-believer in Limbo, rather high praise given the other people Dante put into Limbo were the Classical Greek and Roman philosophers he loved.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin#Recognition_and_legacy

Though Kingdom of Heaven has less to do with the Crusades and more to do with Ridley Scott trying to send a message on the modern Middle East.

cardgame, Lexicus and The_J like this.
  20. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I don't pretend to know what kind of man Salah E Din was , he just Was, like Emprors of old - was. At least I know was a human and so he will be judged like a human, By history.... and us.