Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk man, I constantly see people coming away disappointed from movies, meanwhile I genuinely have not watched A SINGLE bad movie (or rather: a movie I really disliked) in like.. two years (if anyone cares, that movie was "sausage party"). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I hand-pick all the movies I watch since I have neither satellite nor cable (nor any) TV and do not use streaming services (besides Amazon prime, which I have mostly to save money on Christmas presents). Or maybe it's because I mostly go by director, not genre. No idea. I've seen some mediocre movies, ofc, but nothing terrible. Do not even remember the last time I shut off a movie mid-viewing honestly.

It definitely is, but it's still a great movie imho. Very graphic though. I remember being like 12 years old, in the cinema with my friend and his dad, filling up on sprite and gummyworms, and then this guy gets hit by an arrow and they pull it out with rusty tongs. I nearly vomited, felt queasy that entire day :D :D

See, I don't know that much about a movie before seeing it. I'm just looking to kill a couple hours. :dunno:

I love the Riddick series. Pitch Black is one of my favorite films.

I rewatched The Chronicles of Riddick for the first time in a while and was bummed out by it. The only good bit was for the 3rd quarter is the film (the part on Crematoria) while everything to do with the Necromongers I think was a pretty big mistake...it didn't feel like it worked with the character and the Necromongers felt wildly out of place in the universe.

I'm currently watching Riddick (the third one) again and think it is far superior to The Chronicles of Riddick, but still not as good as Pitch Black.

Idk man, I constantly see people coming away disappointed from movies, meanwhile I genuinely have not watched A SINGLE bad movie (or rather: a movie I really disliked) in like.. two years (if anyone cares, that movie was "sausage party"). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I hand-pick all the movies I watch since I have neither satellite nor cable (nor any) TV and do not use streaming services (besides Amazon prime, which I have mostly to save money on Christmas presents). Or maybe it's because I mostly go by director, not genre. No idea. I've seen some mediocre movies, ofc, but nothing terrible. Do not even remember the last time I shut off a movie mid-viewing honestly.

I generally have no idea if I'll like a movie and I don't watch trailers, so I usually end up abandoning many of the films I watch.

Spoiler :
First colour column is whether or not I've seen it before (green is yes, red is no). Second colour column is whether or not I finished watching it (green is yes, red is no).

What the hell was Frozen 2?
It's a sequel so I didn't expect much but how is that the follow up to Frozen? Geeze.

It was chock-full of terrible, non-catchy songs and I do mean chock-full - it felt every two minutes they broke into another singing fit. The story was nonsensical and dumb and dreadfully boring. I just don't get how far that franchise fell in just one sequel and yet it still made more money than the first.

Jumanji: The Next Level. Not very good. The first was far better than it had any right to be. This one spent a lot of time waffling and expected I remembered certain character interactions from the first movie.
There was a neat rocket-powered airship at the end which was cool.
Yes!

The first one was surprisingly good but this one was lame. I think the main problem is that they thought it would be a good idea to character-switch the actors in this one and it just didn't work out. The new characters were just not funny and I don't even know how anyone could claim that Dwayne Johnson was channeling Danny Devito. Like if you didn't know he was supposed to be Danny Devito, you'd have no idea. They spent the first 2/3 of the movie body-swapped like that and it was just painful. When they finally swapped back to the correct characters, the laughs finally came but by then it was too late to salvage the movie.

What the hell was Frozen 2?
It's a sequel so I didn't expect much but how is that the follow up to Frozen? Geeze.

It was chock-full of terrible, non-catchy songs and I do mean chock-full - it felt every two minutes they broke into another singing fit. The story was nonsensical and dumb and dreadfully boring. I just don't get how far that franchise fell in just one sequel and yet it still made more money than the first.
My two year old would emphatically disagree with you.

I can't reconcile this:
Honestly, from what I've heard from friends and read in articles, LotR is kind of a celebration and defense of nature, and paints war in a negative light (please correct me if I'm wrong). The movies on the other hand genuinely feel like pro-war propaganda, like honestly. All the things I can remember from the movie have to do with war, there are only very few scenes of Frodo or Gollum that I do remember somewhat. It seems like they really pushed the war aspect even more in the later movies.
with this:
It definitely is, but it's still a great movie imho. Very graphic though. I remember being like 12 years old, in the cinema with my friend and his dad, filling up on sprite and gummyworms, and then this guy gets hit by an arrow and they pull it out with rusty tongs. I nearly vomited, felt queasy that entire day :D :D
I mean... you can't have it both ways... pick a lane man.:p

That being said, I agree with you about Kingdom of Heaven, I thought it was a good movie and I enjoyed it very much. Obviously its supposed to be more entertainment/historical fiction than a documentary, but so what? Its a movie, it entertained me, and I got to see Liam Neeson Liam-Neeson'ing, albeit briefly. Rigid historical accuracy is often overrated in entertainment, especially since a lot of the time the "accurate" version isn't really even that accurate, its just the more commonly accepted version of the legend/fiction/propaganda. Its not that historial accuracy never has any value, its just that sometimes I just want to see a fun movie and not be bothered with the rest.

As for LotR. I have to say that I disagree with you. First off, "Fellowship of the Ring" didn't even have any wars in it at all, besides maybe a brief flashback, and while the other two installments certainly had epic battles in them, they were all the way at the end, and the movies took every bit of their sweet, sweet, nearly 3 hours time about getting to those battles. In fact, watching them for the first time in a long while with my kids last week, I have to say I was a little bit taken aback by the sheer magnitude of downtime, storytelling, character and plot development that was stuffed into those films. I found myself feeling a little bad for my kids, like the movies were getting far too boring for them. There's whole swaths of movie where there is no action at all. My kids were fine, and they enjoyed the movies despite their length, but I didn't remember how little war/battles/action there actually was in the films. So no, I can't agree at all the the movies were "pro-war propaganda" or "pushing the war aspect", that's just flat out inaccurate. Its just that the battles were the climax of the second and third films and they were obviously epic, so that's what sticks out in your mind.

Last edited:
I generally have no idea if I'll like a movie and I don't watch trailers, so I usually end up abandoning many of the films I watch.

Spoiler :
First colour column is whether or not I've seen it before (green is yes, red is no). Second colour column is whether or not I finished watching it (green is yes, red is no).

You've got a lot of free time my dude :p

Spoiler :

Glad you like Totoro, otherwise we'd have a problem. I 100% agree with you on trailers, no one should watch a trailer of a movie they're about to see. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with abandoning a bad movie.

I can't reconcile this:with this:I mean... you can't have it both ways... pick a lane man.:p

Sorry, I don't understand at all where the problem here is.. I should pick a lane between what exactly?

As for LotR. I have to say that I disagree with you. First off, "Fellowship of the Ring" didn't even have any wars in it at all, besides maybe a brief flashback, and while the other two installments certainly had epic battles in them, they were all the way at the end, and the movies took every bit of their sweet, sweet, nearly 3 hours time about getting to those battles. In fact, watching them for the first time in a long while with my kids last week, I have to say I was a little bit taken aback by the sheer magnitude of downtime, storytelling, character and plot development that was stuffed into those films. I found myself feeling a little bad for my kids, like the movies were getting far too boring for them. There's whole swaths of movie where there is no action at all. My kids were fine, and they enjoyed the movies despite their length, but I didn't remember how little war/battles/action there actually was in the films. So no, I can't agree at all the the movies were "pro-war propaganda" or "pushing the war aspect", that's just flat out inaccurate. Its just that the battles were the climax of the second and third films and they were obviously epic, so that's what sticks out in your mind.

I'll believe you on this one because I haven't seen them in years. I do definitely remember though that in both 2 and 3 there are many, many skirmishes and such before the actual full-scale battle, and there are infinite scenes alluding to war, what with the Orcs or the Uruk Hai getting ready and so on. War is not just fighting. And also the mentality of even a lot of the human and elven characters does seem kind of warlike to me, still, but to be fair they ARE defending their right to live. But maybe I did overexaggerate the war aspect because those battles were stuck in my mind. Honestly, I still think they're the best part of the films :D You're also right about the first LotR movie, that one genuinely had little war in it.

"They are really popular all over Europe and parts of France" :clap:Boy, this show IS hilarious!

In my 48 Internetless hours I spent time rewatching Austin Powers, The Avengers (the series, please) and other such glories of the '60s.
Bah, the LotR movie trilogy is a masterpiece from start to overly-long finish. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and has no credibility whatsoever.
Only a Sith talks in absolutes.
Sommerswerd said:
Now The Hobbit trilogy is an entirely different matter, and certainly subject to debate about how bad/good it is. Personally think it was pretty meh, but I'm not going to strenuously dispute anyone who says its garbage.
One of the parts was actually on today. Apparently Legolas is featured. Which he wasn't in the book. And there's a female elf warrior possibly added for fanservice or something, according to TVTropes, but by then I'd switched to watching The Mentalist.

Reactions: rah
Yeah, it is always awesome, rerun after rerun. There's going to be a seven-day marathon next week, all episodes shown at least once every day, nonstop except for (of course) commercial breaks.

In my 48 Internetless hours I spent time rewatching Austin Powers, The Avengers (the series, please) and other such glories of the '60s.
Austin Powers came out in 1997, not "the '60s". Honestly Tak, just cause' a movie depicts a time period doesn't mean it actually came out in that time period. Gah!:rolleyes:
Only a Sith talks in absolutes.
*deals* Jeez Tak get it right:rolleyes:... have you even seen Star Wars? Gah!

One of the parts was actually on today. Apparently Legolas is featured. Which he wasn't in the book. And there's a female elf warrior possibly added for fanservice or something, according to TVTropes, but by then I'd switched to watching The Mentalist.
The second installment, the one with the conversation with the Dragon, "Desolation of Smaug"... is OK. The first one, "Unexpected Journey", is very hard for me to get through without falling asleep at least once. In fact, I've only made it through without falling asleep... actually no... I fell asleep when I first saw it in the theater as well, so that means I've fallen asleep every single time I've watched it. I don't even remember what happens in the third installment or even what its called. I guess they finally win or whatever, but I don't really remember what its about. So overall... meh, to the entire trilogy.

TBH, I think the cartoon was much better

Austin Powers came out in 1997, not "the '60s". Honestly Tak, just cause' a movie depicts a time period doesn't mean it actually came out in that time period. Gah!:rolleyes:
OK, counsellor.
Sommerswerd said:
*deals* Jeez Tak get it right:rolleyes:... have you even seen Star Wars? Gah!

Once again, counsellor, you're practising procedural obstructionism rather than addressing the crux of the issue.
Sommerswerd said:
The second installment, the one with the conversation with the Dragon, "Desolation of Smaug"... is OK. The first one, "Unexpected Journey", is very hard for me to get through without falling asleep at least once. In fact, I've only made it through without falling asleep... actually no... I fell asleep when I first saw it in the theater as well, so that means I've fallen asleep every single time I've watched it. I don't even remember what happens in the third installment or even what its called. I guess they finally win or whatever, but I don't really remember what its about. So overall... meh, to the entire trilogy.

TBH, I think the cartoon was much better
I recommend The Soddit and, of course, DM of the Rings.

OK, counsellor.

Once again, counsellor, you're practising procedural obstructionism rather than addressing the crux of the issue.
First off, its Star Wars nerd'ry… getting the lines right is "the crux of the issue"... what in jeebus's holy name could be "the crux of the issue" ahead of that?

More importantly... so you're admitting you were wrong then? Over the years, I've found that folks calling me "counsellor" or referencing my profession is generally a sign/begrudging/passive-aggressive way of admitting that they are wrong. :p

In any case, I'm reading DM of the rings... pretty funny, for eg, why the hell did they climb that mesa where Bilbo Frodo gets stabbed?:crazyeye: If they'd just camped on the low ground behind it they could've had their crispy bacon without the ringwraiths even seeing their fire.:lol: thanks Tak

Last edited:
I'm glad you're liking it, but it's Frodo who gets stabbed, not Bilbo.

I rewatched The Chronicles of Riddick for the first time in a while and was bummed out by it. The only good bit was for the 3rd quarter is the film (the part on Crematoria) while everything to do with the Necromongers I think was a pretty big mistake...it didn't feel like it worked with the character and the Necromongers felt wildly out of place in the universe.

I'm currently watching Riddick (the third one) again and think it is far superior to The Chronicles of Riddick, but still not as good as Pitch Black.
Have you ever played Escape from Butcher Bay? It's actually pretty good - when it came out, it was among my favorite PC games, but I haven't played it in years - and it fits neatly into the story.

What I like about The Chronicles of Riddick is that it has 0 tropes carried over from Pitch Black. It's a completely different story in a different setting. Most sequels always brings some concept back from the previous movie, sometimes to the extent that the sequel could almost be considered a remake (Riddick is perhaps an example, IIRC it was in some ways quite similar to Pitch Black).

I saw a number of movies in a row the other day

First one was Joker, which I quite liked. It is actually fairly hard to not feel sympathetic towards him, despite that he kills people. A few rich people dead having more impact than a vast number of poor people does kind of resonate.
At times it's easy to forget it's supposed to fit in like the DC universe (the DC logo shows up at the end and feels like a disconnect lol), and there the joker usually has like a vast array of resources, which the joker in this movie would never seem to get. Anyway also Batman's parents being killed is in this, and I feel like those shots were like kind of similar to how I've seen it in way older movies, which was interesting.
The movie is also very well made and like shot. I'm not great in how to describe this sort of thing, but like, what filmmaking is beyond a script and acting this movie is pretty great in.

After that I saw Parasite, the korean movie. Also very good, although, looking for it seeing it be labeled as a comedy kind of surprised me, but that is what it is, although a dark one. I almost feel Joker says more about like socioeconomic disparity than this movie. And it seems to me kind of hostile to the poor. I kinda remember seeing people argue about whether seeing the poor or rich family as the "parasites" kinda says something about what you think or whatever, but it is like, the poor family does act parasitically to the rich family, they sort of encroach in and exploit them from within. Now of course in real life I'm prone to cal rich people parasites, but the rich family doesn't really act terribly parasitically in the story of this movie. Their work is like distanced away, you hardly know what they even profit from.
Spoiler ending :
Like the worst thing is at the end where the rich dad asks the poor dad for the car keys to get his son to the hospital while ignoring the other wounded, but I feel that's something many people could end up doing.

Also the ending I kind of don't get in a sense. It doesn't really tie stuff up or seem thematically relevant to the other stuff going on in the movie.
Still good though, maybe I'm just an idiot for not getting it more.

After that I saw the lighthouse. That I also really liked, and also excelling in like that which is beyond script and acting (though those aspects are also good), but like, what this movie tried to say or whatever I really don't know. I do really like the sort of "kafkaesque" aspect to it, but that might be more spectacle than something substantial to me.
Also
Spoiler ending spoilers woa :
the young guy at the end buries the old one alive, and the latter seems to die. Young man then gets the key off him to get up the ligthhouse. He enters the stairs up the lighthouse, but then turns around. Then he gets attacked by the old man, but beats him and finally kills him properly. He then gets up the lighthouse.

What's the point of this scene? What would be lost if the old man just died in the grave and the young one just went up the tower the first time?

Last thing I watched was Midsomar, which was a really weak finisher. The way it's shot and how the dialouge is felt to me just so much worse than all the previous ones. Everything looks so bland and stiff and boring, the dialouge is weird and stiff too. Most of the movie it does have cult stuff, but the beginning where they just establish the characters it's so dull and terrible.
Also of course the way the cult is is kind of insulting to me. It's a terrible construed thing that pays so half hearted lipservice to norse stuff. Also like, there is murder and they mention like cultural relativism stuff but that is illegal in Sweden, you know.
Bunch of things is badly planned out too. Like there's a inbred oracle person making paintings in a holy book that at some point gets stolen, but that doesn't go anywhere.
Also like, one of the people going there is supposed to like do research for his phd thesis there, and like partway through another character goes like "I've figured I want to write my thesis about this place" and the first guy gets upset. Is this like a thing for doctorate students? Getting mad someone chooses a similar thesis material as you? Felt really weird.
Also I was upset about the casual drug use in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom