1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Watched Kindergarten Cop tonight with the family after hearing about a Portland Drive-In pulling it from their show schedule because some crazy woman was troubled by the cops in school theme. Not to mention she also likened it in a follow-up tweet to Birth of a Nation as "not good family fun". Let that sink in for a moment... :rolleyes:

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

obviously a joke account

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

A few days ago I finally got round to watching the ending (and hopefully the end) of the entire Resident Evil film franchise. After the second, maybe third film they should have stopped. It's just a gorefest.

By comparison, Fast and Furious 8 (I think, it's one with Jason Statham on a non-mothering plane) is actually passable.

4. Laurana Kanan

You would think, but sadly it was an all too real account.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Watched The Old Guard recently on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. Predictable in a couple of parts (like, I knew who on the team would be - no spoilers - the odd one out from the start of the movie), but well-paced and a good setup for another movie (even though that was also obvious halfway in). Theron was good, as was (relative) newcomer Kiki Layne.

Sommerswerd and EgonSpengler like this.
  6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I keep meaning to watch that again, but haven't gotten around to it.

I agree that the character you're talking about could be seen coming, but I thought they did an okay job with it. One aspect of writing a story that must be tricky is letting events follow a sensible sequence without being eyerollingly predictable. To me, the difference can be described as a plot turn vs. a plot twist. A plot turn is when B follows A; a plot twist is when C follows A. But in either case, the setup is important. If the turn in the plot is presented as a twist, it just looks predictable; if a plot twist is presented as a plot turn, it just looks inconsistent.

I heard an interview with the director, and she mentioned that when someone mentioned Layne for the part, she thought she was "too soft." I kind of see what she means. Layne is 28, but she looks about 17.

Video of director Gina Prince-Bythewood narrating the plane scene. (Mild spoilers, if you haven't seen the movie but are planning to.)

Gorbles likes this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Yeah, I don't mind at all how it was done - I've never rated the whole massive focus modern media has on "this is a plot hole! terrible!", because not all holes are holes, just as not all exposition is necessary. The same goes for plot twists and turns, as you explained :) They lay the groundwork pretty well with Theron's (lack of responses) to questions that could've otherwise changed the story, and the character acted consistently with regards to not knowing what Theron was going through.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I read somewhere recently that Christopher Nolan got some pushback from the brainless suits at Warner Bros. over the fact that The Joker didn't have a coherent backstory in The Dark Knight. I mean, are they kidding? The whole [flipping] point to that character is that he's inscrutable, you [flipping] morons. Did you even read the [flipping] script? *ahem* Pardon my outburst. I know there are some filmgoers who want every little thing spelled out for them*, and that's fine, but I can't even believe such people are in charge of making movies. They probably think Michael Bay movies are too subtle. Thankfully, Nolan had enough juice to tell them to siddown and shaddap.

* Along with The Joker in The Dark Knight, another character I loved whose backstory was deliberately, and properly, vague - and yet not, really, it was perfectly spelled-out - was Shepherd Book in Firefly and Serenity. Even if you've only seen the film and not the series, you get all you need about Book's history from the dialogue, even though the characters talk around it and don't just come out and say it. It's not simply that it's more elegant; the vagueness and ambiguity are part of the character-development. That The Joker keeps changing his story, and that Shepherd Book won't tell his story, are in themselves important character points. Ron Glass, I have your back, man (he doesn't know it, but he and I go way back - I was a Barney Miller fan when I was a tyke).

Cutlass, Sommerswerd and Gorbles like this.
  9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Still a joke account, the operator just doesn't realize

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This reads like a skit from Portlandia.

I saw the sci fi movie Air about a post-apocalypse scenario where two guys are caretakers of an ark-like construction. It was much better than expected from a budget film.

I am still butthurt over how bad Frozen 2 was.

11. Laurana Kanan

Didn't that star Norman Reedus from TWD?
    You, me, and my whole family. :cringe:

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It did!

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  13. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

One good, one bad.

The first is M. Night Shyamalan's Split (2016). Two thumbs up. I now have to watch Glass, yay.

The second is the quite regrettable Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991). Who greenlit this?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Split was awesome. Glass is pretty OK. Did you see Unbreakable before Split?

15. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Yes, last year I think. So the ending made sense.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Just saw the shawshank redemption with some friends.

It was mentioned how at like imdb or rotten tomatoes or whatever it's rated as the number 1 movie there ever was. Almost a shame it has that baggage, beacause like, I don't think I'd call it the greatest movie ever but it is like deserving of fame, i think. Good story and well produced and all.

The idea of spending more than half of life in prison is pretty heavy though. At times I wonder if I didn't like appreciate that enough

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^I don't like the movie. It does have some good actors but personally I disliked the story and the overall feel.

18. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Kurosawa movie called Ran. King Lear samurai style. Kagemusha was easier for me to follow.

19. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I think I can understand.

If I saw it like 5 years ago or so I might have been upset, but seeing it now, maybe especially with friends, I had a good time

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

All that matters, and I am glad you did :)