Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hunt (2020)

A fun enough action-satire, but it fell a little short of my expectations. Maybe that was my fault for misunderstanding what kind of movie it was, I dunno. I thought it was going to be a real action-comedy, something like The Cabin the Woods, but it isn't. It's pretty much a straight-up action movie, with a sense of humor. I guess I was sort of waiting for something the whole time, which was probably unfair, but oh well. I love Betty Gilpin (GLOW), though. I wouldn't mind seeing her do more action roles. I am sort of bracing myself to hear what a Louisianan thought of her accent. I don't know if us Yankees ever get Southern accents right. Billy Bob Thornton does a funny impression of a non-Southerner doing a Southern accent. (And, yes, for the record, I know there isn't a Southern accent. ;) ) Also, Hilary Swank was hardly in it. She basically had one scene. Again, maybe that was my misconception, thinking it was going to be a chase movie with her and Gilpin going after each other for an hour and a half. Which is still a movie I'd like to see, come to think of it. I think this was the first time I've seen Ethan Suplee since he lost all that weight. If I didn't know it was him, I'd probably have been like, "this dude kind of looks like Ethan Suplee."

Just saw the shawshank redemption with some friends.

It was mentioned how at like imdb or rotten tomatoes or whatever it's rated as the number 1 movie there ever was. Almost a shame it has that baggage, beacause like, I don't think I'd call it the greatest movie ever but it is like deserving of fame, i think. Good story and well produced and all.

The idea of spending more than half of life in prison is pretty heavy though. At times I wonder if I didn't like appreciate that enough
I definitely think its easily one of the best, if not the best movie I've ever seen. I'd put in in that category where, if someone says its the best movie ever, I'm not going to argue with that, but if someone says it's not the absolute best, but its in their top 5, or top 10 or whatever, I'd understand that as well. If I Googled "the top 20 best movies of all time" and it wasn't on the list, that list would lose all credibility to me.

The Hunt (2020)

Not to be confused with the Swedish "The Hunt (Jagten)" 2012, which is a psychotic thriller about allegations of pedophilia and sure to absolutely ruin your evening, unless you enjoy being mentally tortured. Which, as you can guess, I did. And it has @Mouthwashs favorite actor in it.

Kurosawa movie called Ran. King Lear samurai style. Kagemusha was easier for me to follow.

That's one of my favorite movies. I love the colorfulness and insanity of it, but it was kinda hard to follow.

If I Googled "the top 20 best movies of all time" and it wasn't on the list, that list would lose all credibility to me.

seems pretty arbitrary. I might think Tarkovski is the greatest director of all time, but I can understand why not everyone would put him in their top 20. Not everyone likes incredibly slow 3 hour movies with little plot. I also think Lynch is one of the greatest directors of all time, but I can understand why people might be put off by his horror and creepy shtick. The same goes for Hitchcock, and really any director out there, there are legit reasons to dislike good films. I don't think everyone has to love 2001: A Space Odissey just because it's (clearly) a masterpiece.

I wouldn't have The Shawshank Redemption in my top 20, nor my top 100, and probably I would find 200 movies that I found more impressive visually, in plot and in acting. And I feel the same way about LotR and The Godfather (even though I love it) and honestly anything Spielberg has done (though I have a soft spot for AI). There are innumerable movies out there, and a lot of them are really good. A lot of non-American movies are really good, but I only ever see people insisting that (popular American movie) is a must on every list, not just you.Yet I do not think there is any movie that must be in any given top 20, not even a Kubrick :D

Last edited:
I hope the actual movie is as good as this trailer.

seems pretty arbitrary. I might think Tarkovski is the greatest director of all time, but I can understand why not everyone would put him in their top 20. Not everyone likes incredibly slow 3 hour movies with little plot. I also think Lynch is one of the greatest directors of all time, but I can understand why people might be put off by his horror and creepy shtick. The same goes for Hitchcock, and really any director out there, there are legit reasons to dislike good films. I don't think everyone has to love 2001: A Space Odissey just because it's (clearly) a masterpiece.

I wouldn't have The Shawshank Redemption in my top 20, nor my top 100, and probably I would find 200 movies that I found more impressive visually, in plot and in acting. And I feel the same way about LotR and The Godfather (even though I love it) and honestly anything Spielberg has done (though I have a soft spot for AI). There are innumerable movies out there, and a lot of them are really good. A lot of non-American movies are really good, but I only ever see people insisting that (popular American movie) is a must on every list, not just you.Yet I do not think there is any movie that must be in any given top 20, not even a Kubrick :D
It's not arbitrary. It's got 90% critic Score and a 98% viewer score on Rotten Tomatoes with over 800,000 votes. The fact that this movie is regarded as one of the best ever is pretty well known and not really subject to any reasonable debate. Similarly, whether you personally like it and/or personally regard it as one of the best movies of all time is also not really subject to any meaningful debate. I'm not going to change your mind about what you like. There is no doubt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that like or dislike of art and/or entertainment is highly subjective. I'm not at all saying that you personally must like it. But the fact that this movie is widely regarded as one of the best, is beyond reasonable question and I stand by my statement. Any "top 20 best movies of all time" list that does not contain this movie loses all credibility with me.

Finally, I admit that in my Murican arrogance or whatever, I assumed that it went without saying that we were pretty much talking about American movies, or at least movies with wide viewership in America. I wasn't including "foreign" (again from the American point of view) films. If you want to include foreign films in your list, you're out of my pay grade, because I don't watch enough of those to pretend to be well versed enough to make any kind of informed opinion. My opinions on this subject are limited to American films and movies with wide viewership in America.

Last edited:
I re-watched Pitch Perfect two nights ago. It was a'ight. It made me realize I miss these kind of performance movies like Step Up and Drumline. A couple modern ones have come out but they've been pretty mediocre or terrible across the board. It's like choreography has gone out the window.

Netflix just released a movie called Work It, where a high schooler needs to learn how to dance and win a dance competition because she convinced a college admissions person that she would be a good fit for the school due to her dancing.

I did not walk into this with high hopes; the lead, Sabrina Carpenter, always seemed an awkward-ish teen singer to me despite her staunch attempts at being "mature" once she aged out of the Disney system. There was also Liza Koshy, a YouTuber, and the guy who plays Wally in The Flash. None really gave me the impression of being dancers.

Still, the movie was decent. The actors surprised me. Sabrina even utilized the awkwardness as character development. The script is typical Netflix tier, which is to say, not very good. But the choreography was not disappointing and the actors actually knew how to dance and didn't rely on jump cuts or doubles very much, from what I could tell. I likely won't ever want to see the movie again, but it wasn't outright disappointing.

Netflix just released a movie called Work It, where a high schooler needs to learn how to dance and win a dance competition because she convinced a college admissions person that she would be a good fit for the school due to her dancing.

I did not walk into this with high hopes; the lead, Sabrina Carpenter, always seemed an awkward-ish teen singer to me despite her staunch attempts at being "mature" once she aged out of the Disney system. There was also Liza Koshy, a YouTuber, and the guy who plays Wally in The Flash. None really gave me the impression of being dancers.

Still, the movie was decent. The actors surprised me. Sabrina even utilized the awkwardness as character development. The script is typical Netflix tier, which is to say, not very good. But the choreography was not disappointing and the actors actually knew how to dance and didn't rely on jump cuts or doubles very much, from what I could tell. I likely won't ever want to see the movie again, but it wasn't outright disappointing.
With the death of Alan Parker the other week, I've been thinking about watching Fame again, but I'm scared it'll be one of those movies that won't be as good as I remember (I have seen The Commitments somewhat recently, and that held up - that's not a dance movie, though). I also heard someone talking about Center Stage recently, which is another one that I haven't seen in forever. Maybe I'll do a double-feature one of these days.

With the death of Alan Parker the other week, I've been thinking about watching Fame again, but I'm scared it'll be one of those movies that won't be as good as I remember (I have seen The Commitments somewhat recently, and that held up - that's not a dance movie, though). I also heard someone talking about Center Stage recently, which is another one that I haven't seen in forever. Maybe I'll do a double-feature one of these days.
A musical is probably a no, but I haven't heard of Center Stage. I'll need to look into that.

Finally got round to seeing John Carter. It was enjoyable, but it felt very much like a by-the-numbers adventure story, like all the majors beats and set-pieces occurred because that is what happens at this point in this sort of story, and consequently missed the opportunity to really dive into the weird alien cultures. Possibly this is because they hoped to make a series, so they played safe with the first instalment in the hopes they could do more with the sequels; more like the film was always going to turn out this way, because there's a strong sense that the intention was to fill a "fantasy action-epic summer blockbuster"-shaped hole in Disney's release schedule that year rather than setting out to make an adaptation of the original stories.

I think the judgement that it was a decent film let down by the studio is basically correct (who calls a science-fantasy epic "John Carter" when "Warlord of Mars" is right there?), but it's not some sort of overlooked gem.

Last edited:
I re-watched the Big Momma's House movies. I remember liking the first one far more as a child. Now as an adult, a barely passable 6/10. The second one was better at 7.5/10.

Re-watched Blade Runner 2049 last night with the new girlfriend. She hadn't seen the original either so we watched that on Thursday night. It's even better the second time around. You certainly get a lot more out of the story.

Spoiler Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie!!! :
I loved that the ending shows us a brutalized, emotionally stripped K. He's lost everything. His job, Joi, his understanding boss, even the memories and the past that he thought he had. It makes one wonder what his next move will be. Will he commit suicide? Will he join the merry band of replicants plotting resistance? Will he continue to be a Blade Runner? I know that there is no hope for a sequel, but I really wish that there would be one. I think it could be a good story.

Re-watched Blade Runner 2049 last night with the new girlfriend. She hadn't seen the original either so we watched that on Thursday night. It's even better the second time around. You certainly get a lot more out of the story.

Spoiler Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie!!! :
I loved that the ending shows us a brutalized, emotionally stripped K. He's lost everything. His job, Joi, his understanding boss, even the memories and the past that he thought he had. It makes one wonder what his next move will be. Will he commit suicide? Will he join the merry band of replicants plotting resistance? Will he continue to be a Blade Runner? I know that there is no hope for a sequel, but I really wish that there would be one. I think it could be a good story.
I didn't see Blade Runner anywhere near when it came out. I didn't see it until I was already knee deep in Sci-Fi/Fantasy nerd-dom and I heard/realized it was basically a must-watch, so I went in with a ton of baggage and expectations,plus I was watching it when the special effects and cultural references were terribly dated.

Yeah... it still stood up as a great film despite all that... a testament to the quality of the movie/story/acting.

I did on the other hand see the sequel where Harrison Ford's character is old... also very entertaining film. Not as good as the Mad Max:Fury Road update of an old classic franchise, but still very good.

Watched Mortal Engines early, currently watching V for Vendetta.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. Not as funny as the first one, but a good movie. The tried to shoehorn in too many different parodies, I think, and didn't have the time to really make them all work.

Anna Karenina - It's based on a famous Russian novel which I never read, but the story as presented in the movie didn't live up to the fame the book has. It's essentially contrasting the lives of two couples, one of which gets newly married and has the promise of a long loving relationship vs another already married couple where the titular character has an affair which leads to her being socially ostracized. I guess it's just a poor adaptation because it didn't seem to be saying anything beyond the basic story and I didn't feel much connection with the characters or what they were going through.

There were also some really weird artistic decisions in this movie. For example, a large number of scenes are done on a theater stage but none of the characters are suppose to be actors in a play. So lots of really bizarre things occur on this stage like a horse race, there are trains that operate on the stage, and at one point a character opens a door in a house that leads to this stage. It left me very confused.

Not a great trailer. :undecide: (And it seems like it has a couple of spoilers, but maybe those are "head-fakes.") I'm still looking forward to the movie, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom