Which movies have you watched? ' --not an iota of bad movies; but maybe bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked it, too. For a similarly-themed story, see also Phillip Noyce's The Quiet American -- a serviceable adaptation of Graham Greene's novel.

Ooh. Mr Thistle! I've not seen you around here for a bit. How's yer doin?

Caught Lady Sings the Blues a couple of days ago. I'd forgotten how awesome Diana Ross was in her acting debut. She got an Oscar nomination, and IMHO, could have walked away with the award itself. Billy Dee Williams is also dazzling. Great story; heartbreaking.

delete my post

Caught Lady Sings the Blues a couple of days ago. I'd forgotten how awesome Diana Ross was in her acting debut. She got an Oscar nomination, and IMHO, could have walked away with the award itself. Billy Dee Williams is also dazzling. Great story; heartbreaking.

Agreed. Great film and heartbreaking story. She nailed it!

Ooh. Mr Thistle! I've not seen you around here for a bit. How's yer doin?
Fine, thank you! Busy. I am mostly spending time training new organizers -- who are coming in by the scores, now around the country. I am on FB more and my non-organizing time is mostly spent doting on my wife.

However...

Saw one-third of Attack on Titan (2015) -- a live-action film based on the popular post-apocalyptic anime. It's the first film I have EVER walked out on. After 25 minutes, I could take no more. The opening Titan attack sequence is the most disgusting unredeemable film violence since Kick-Ass 2.

1/10. Avoid.

Watched Joe (with Nicolas Cage), pretty dark and disturbing. That got me in the mood to watch another dark and disturbing movie called Red, White & Blue. Both movies are pretty disturbing, I wouldn't take a date to those movies.

Would you take a date to

Terminator Genisys (AKA Terminator Total Rollcall)
Jurassic World (Jurassic Park with no famous actors)
X Men Days Of Future Past (Saving the world with time travel)
X Men First Class (Saving the wordl without time travel)?

The last two, certainly.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (2015) 5/10

Predictable and long. I'm not sure why rotten tomatoes gave this a 93%.

"The Scent of Green Papaya"

Vietnam in the 1950s; low key, beautifully filmed, romantic (no sex), shot entirely in a studio.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. Starts off slow, gets better in the second half. Questionable plot, good action. Worth watching, but not worth delaying the latter part of my workday by >2 h.

Finally ExMachina- nice, quite good but not as good as I would have expected it to be... 8/10

Jupiter Ascending - well I had some time to kill on the flight... either watch it with your gf or don't watch it at all.. so many great animations and effects wasted on such a narbitrary plot... 5,5/10

Finally ExMachina- nice, quite good but not as good as I would have expected it to be... 8/10
Agreed. Something that bugged me (not spoilers) - what's the point of building an AI that emulates a human? What's the purpose? I get the potential uses of artificial intelligence in general, but I don't understand the point of an AI that has a human body and tries to be human.

Spoiler :
Not sure how serious you're being with that answer, but if that's all he was after there was no need to keep making new versions. The models he had were already sufficient for that particular use.

Die Hard. I was interested to see it again because of Alan Rickman. I heard it was his first movie, and he agreed to do after seeing that all the black characters were intelligent and well portrayed rather than being a typical stereotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom