Which movies have you watched? xi --- straight to dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally liked the character because I think Chris was able to pull it off. Not many actors could have. I'm usually not a big fan of his work.

Yep. The good thing about The Fifth Element is that they do not take themselves too seriously.

I finally got to watch Jackie Chan's Who am I? from the beginning. I'd only ever seen the last third of the film, with all the rooftop action scenes. Wo-wee! And once again, it is great that the crew and cast actually know that they are in a comedy.

Good People (2013 10%(!!) rotten tomatoes)

You'd think the 10% would speak for itself, wouldn't you? This film was nowhere near that bad.

But it definitely wasn't a wonderful engrossing experience.

An American middle-class couple come to London to make a new start, and get mixed up in cockney-cum-French gangland.

I mean, it could have been a good film. But it just wasn't. I'm not really sure why.

The whole "amateurs beating off professional criminals" is a bit of a cliche, I think. There was even a bit which I thought was a rip-off from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Oh yes, and "Liquid O". That's a new one on me.

Last edited:
Killer Joe (2011 78% rotten tomatoes)

American Southern gothic black comedy crime film. (No black people in it, btw.)

Well. I enjoyed it. It's very in your face from the outset, and the plot isn't predictable.

It's about a young trailer-trash drug dealer, panicking to find some money to pay his underworld creditors, hiring a police officer who has a side-line in killing people, in order for his simple-minded sister (who may or may not have been a victim of child abuse) to collect on the life assurance of his mother.

It doesn't go well.

War for the Planet of the Apes is a satisfying conclusion to Caesar's story of leading his ape colony into the post-human era. My only complaint is the lack of competent human military tactics. Still want to see more of this universe, preferably after a timeskip. 8-9 out of 10.

Dunkirk is an action-packed retelling of the historic evacuation. Too action-packed, in my opinion. Needs more quiet scenes. Hard to believe more than 300,000 soldiers made it off that beach. Luftwaffe tried to have top billing, for some reason.

The film pleases well in the visual department. My favorite shot was one of the small craft racing to the war-torn beaches of Dunkirk, passing a Royal Navy destroyer retreating to the safety of southern England. Tense emotional scenes all around. 7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

Was hoping someone would mention Dunkirk. I'm debating whether to see it. Nolan films seem massively overrated. Though I did like Memento and Interstellar. Didn't care for Inception. The movie is so highly praised, I feel I have to watch it. But I may be setting myself up for disappointment. Should I see it in 70mm? We do have a place showing it in 70mm in Las Vegas. So if I see it, it will be there.

I have a feeling I will be massively disappointed, because I just watched the best war movie I have ever seen yesterday on Netflix DVD. Hacksaw Ridge. I absolutely loved this movie. Don't let the Mel Gibson hate club get to you, see this movie. The boot camp scenes aren't as good as Full Metal Jacket, but some of it was pretty funny. The action scenes you can actually tell what is going on. Even with the smoke all around. Unlike most modern war films. And it is different take on the standard war movie genre by having a pacifist and deeply religious character. For me, the movie easily surpasses Saving Private Ryan and Platoon (both Best Picture winners). It was robbed at the Oscars. I like to feel an emotional connection to the characters, and this movie did that for me (unlike Platoon or nearly every other war movie, though Saving Private Ryan caused me to tear up at the end). So a movie like Dunkirk which is all action with no character development for me to get engaged with any character will probably disappoint. But I'll probably see it anyways. For me, a character (and actual real person) like Doss is the kind of man I would love to be. I couldn't help but root for the guy, so I was emotionally invested in the movie. A little unrealistic with the non regulation haircuts and nobody ever reloading :lol:, but such things don't bother me much.

I didn't see it in that format. Maybe it will make it look better, I don't know. It was pretty enough to me. As for character development, it's more like bad things just happen to the characters and they try to adapt. Dialogue is sparse. I think it works, may not be for everyone though. Also, no comedy of any sort.

Eagle Eye (2008 26% rotten tomatoes)

Dismal effort, this one.

A networked supercomputer decides that the US president is un-American because he disagrees with the computer's recommendation to abort a drone strike on some jihadists having a funeral, and decides to assassinate him.

Nah. 26% is about right.

Plot was derivative and filming of the car chases difficult to follow.

Eagle Eye (2008 26% rotten tomatoes)

Dismal effort, this one.

A networked supercomputer decides that the US president is un-American because he disagrees with the computer's recommendation to abort a drone strike on some jihadists having a funeral, and decides to assassinate him.

Nah. 26% is about right.

Plot was derivative and filming of the car chases difficult to follow.

Ah, that's a flashback. Watched this on my first ever date with a lady.

Then her mom picked us up. Good times.

I thought the movie was pretty good! Certainly more interesting than the date.

zoolander :lol: on cinemax right now

Watched Rogue One again. It was actually more engrossing than I remembered. I put it on to have in the background while I was doing some stuff around the house, and I ended up sitting down and watching it. I'm still impressed by the animation for K2-SO. Also, it's a little thing, but the 1960s-style US Army helmets on the rebel soldiers kind of took me out of it for half a second. Were they trying to evoke the Vietnam War? A strange choice, if so.

I liked Felicity Jones more than I remembered. I haven't seen her in anything else. Looking over her CV, I'm not sure what to look for. She was in the latest Dan Brown movie with Tom Hanks, and in the last Spider-Man movie before the recent reboot, but those both look underwhelming. She did a Stephen Frears movie I've never even heard of before and a movie about Charles Dickens with Ralph Fiennes. Maybe I'll look for one of those.

Watched Rogue One again. It was actually more engrossing than I remembered. I put it on to have in the background while I was doing some stuff around the house, and I ended up sitting down and watching it. I'm still impressed by the animation for K2-SO. Also, it's a little thing, but the 1960s-style US Army helmets on the rebel soldiers kind of took me out of it for half a second. Were they trying to evoke the Vietnam War? A strange choice, if so.

I liked Felicity Jones more than I remembered. I haven't seen her in anything else. Looking over her CV, I'm not sure what to look for. She was in the latest Dan Brown movie with Tom Hanks, and in the last Spider-Man movie before the recent reboot, but those both look underwhelming. She did a Stephen Frears movie I've never even heard of before and a movie about Charles Dickens with Ralph Fiennes. Maybe I'll look for one of those.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, unlike The Force Awakens. Honestly, moving away from the holy Skywalker family and getting to see a bit more ''ordinary'' people was such a breath of fresh air. I had no idea what the story was going to be about before I saw it (didn't watch a single trailer), and even though it was pretty straight forward they managed to make it more interesting and involved than TFA. The characters were far better also, I didn't miss the poster boys from previous movies one bit and the tiny bits we got of them were just the cherry on the top.

I saw the new planet of the apes too. It was really good, it's told completely from the apes perspective which is cool. Because the world is transitioning from humans to apes, so it makes sense.

Agreed that the human military tactics were pretty dumb in many cases. I also didn't really get why everything took place in the north where it's, well, cold, and hard to survive, unless they though they were less susceptible to disease in the north.

It also explained a lot of cool stuff about how planet of the apes would come about. I won't spoiler it here, but it's clearly connected now. I would hope for more apes movies, but this I'm pretty sure is the end of the new trilogy and there doesn't seem like enough space to add more.

I also watched The Magnificent Seven and Split.

Seven is really cool, pretty standard western fare, lots of guns and cool lines. Well acted, well shot, of course the plot is totally predictable and not very deep, but it doesn't try to be more than it should be. Good movie.

Split is good, I think it tries a little like most of m night shamalyan movies to be more than it is and it kinda falls flat there. But James Macavoy is amazing in it. And there's a gigantic twist at the end that's really cool.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, unlike The Force Awakens. Honestly, moving away from the holy Skywalker family and getting to see a bit more ''ordinary'' people was such a breath of fresh air. I had no idea what the story was going to be about before I saw it (didn't watch a single trailer), and even though it was pretty straight forward they managed to make it more interesting and involved than TFA. The characters were far better also, I didn't miss the poster boys from previous movies one bit and the tiny bits we got of them were just the cherry on the top.
I enjoyed The Force Awakens, but I agree that the Star Wars 'universe' is more than big enough to feature more non-Skywalker stories.

Another small thing I forgot to mention about Rogue One: I really loved that it addressed one of the decades-old critiques of the very first movie...
Spoiler :
Why did the Death Star have such a weak spot, that hitting it would utterly destroy the whole thing?

Now, maybe the next movie can explain why Storm Troopers have such poor marksmanship. :lol:

Kingdom of Heaven (2005 39% rotten tomatoes)

I was disappointed.

Never mind the historical inaccuracies, this could have been a great film from director Ridley Scott but it seriously missed the mark, imo.

Orlando Bloom just didn't convince me that he was some great leader.

And the other characterizations weren't any good either. Except for the King of Jerusalem and Saladin.

So, I'll say it was just your average blood bath with too much confusing fighting, and not much else. Plenty of people in it. The CGI gave a good impression of 200,000 people.

Oh, I did like the toppling siege engines, though quite how that was arranged wasn't clear.

And of course we had the cliche of the defenders marking out the ranges. I think I've seen that too many times.

Kingdom of Heaven does at least have the quote from the Hospitaller about how he despises evil being done in the name of God and that right action lies in yourself, rather than another's teachings.

Kingdom of Heaven (2005 39% rotten tomatoes)

I was disappointed.

Never mind the historical inaccuracies, this could have been a great film from director Ridley Scott but it seriously missed the mark, imo.

Orlando Bloom just didn't convince me that he was some great leader.

And the other characterizations weren't any good either. Except for the King of Jerusalem and Saladin.

So, I'll say it was just your average blood bath with too much confusing fighting, and not much else. Plenty of people in it. The CGI gave a good impression of 200,000 people.

Oh, I did like the toppling siege engines, though quite how that was arranged wasn't clear.

And of course we had the cliche of the defenders marking out the ranges. I think I've seen that too many times.

I remember watching this when Blu-Ray was first being released. My father had bought into the hype and went out and got a giant TV, a PS3, and a $3000 sound system. Naturally, he made me set it all up. But I was rewarded with being able to watch a movie with him and so I picked Kingdom of Heaven (other choices were Devil Wears Prada and I, Robot, there weren't many movies yet).

Beautiful movie with excellent sound. I didn't have any issue with the plot and found it to be an enjoyable experience all-in-all. I don't watch blockbuster movies for a taste of historical realism so it not being a documentary doesn't dock points for me.

I don't know if I'd feel the same way if I watched it on a normal screen with a normal sound system. Perhaps I'll give it a go soon.

Fair enough. My opinions of films are just that: my opinions.

Becoming Jane (2007 57% rotten tomatoes)

I thought at first this would be the account of a transgender person, but in the end I quite enjoyed this apparently somewhat fictionalized account of Jane Austen's and Tom Lefroy's relationship and its influence on her writing.

A bit slow, and maybe too little bloodshed, and practically no nudity at all, unless you count people's faces. But the costumes and settings were excellent. And the characters thoroughly credible.

Now, maybe the next movie can explain why Storm Troopers have such poor marksmanship. :lol:
The Extended Universe actually provided some explanations for the stormtroopers having poor markmanship. Which, of course, doesn't explain why they're so poor. And anyway Disney decided they are non-canon stories. XD

Watched Rogue One for the first time. I was surprised to see it on Netflix. Netflix usually only has crappy movies, not A list movies. I didn't see it was coming to Netflix in the usual coming/going articles.

Dare I say it? Best Star Wars movie ever? I didn't watch it in the theaters because of how bad The Force Awakens was. And Force Awakens is really bad. Something about that movie rubbed me the wrong way. It just didn't feel right. There was so much wrong with it, mostly Carrie Fisher's acting, but Harrison Ford's acting was just as bad. And of course the "bad guy" was just horrible (see the next paragraph).

Now this movie, well you can't go wrong with Darth Vader. Any movie without Darth Vader as the bad guy is just inferior. He is the ultimate Star Wars bad guy. He's not a huge part of the movie, but he never was in the first series either. And we got to see some Darth Vader baddassery right at the end which was just icing on the cake. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to root for the bad guys, am I?

I'm not sure, but I may have to rate this one above Empire Strikes Back. I'll have to let it sit, and see if the excitement wears off. But I like the male lead, he's an effective Harrison Ford "replacement", he had a good charisma, the female lead was 50 times better than the horrible actress in The Force Awakens.

Only real problem is the MPAA rating of PG-13. Maybe I'm just getting old (I am), but how can a movie with what appears to have a bodycount of over 250 on screen deaths be rated PG-13? Don't get me wrong, as an adult movie, this movie was awesome. But I fear for the youth of today growing up with this as entertainment. *Thinks back to watching Rambo 2 at age 11*, well I guess I turned out okay. But of course I'm the guy who thinks Darth Vader is cool, so maybe not. Aww well, regardless, if I was in charge of the MPAA I would have rated it NC17. I'd like to look up a bodycount listing, I'm estimating around 250, but I could be wrong. The first Star Wars movie adults can enjoy. I was happy with it.

My ratings (tentative to change over time)

1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi (yes even the ewoks weren't that bad)
4. Star Wars: A New Hope
5. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Star Wars Christmas Special
9. The Force Awakens
10. The Phantom Menace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom