Which movies have you watched? xi --- straight to dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bornhlmer Straße. Set during the night in which the Berlin Wall was inadvertently declared open by Gunther Schabowski. An interesting film.
*Bornholmer. I really recommend it.

…it made you blush?

Let me guess - you took a ride on Henry the Green Engine to get to the cinema?

Let me guess - you took a ride on Henry the Green Engine to get to the cinema?

Yeah, the cinema. :shifty:

The movie was bad. Somewhat interesting premise but quickly goes off the rails. So many nonsensical decisions were made in the story that it was tough to really care about the events that were taking place. The ending was... not great.

Ghost in the Shell - I'm a Scarlett Johansson super-fan, but even she couldn't save this one. It was kind of a cross between the Matrix and Blade Runner with the visuals leaning heavily toward Blade Runner - 4/10

And speaking of Blade Runner...

Blade Runner 2049 - Awesome movie. It does not disappoint. The story and acting were both stellar. 9.5/10

Annihilation was great. Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

I just saw Atomic Blond. There were a couple good fight sequences but the movie started slow and the last 5 minutes had like 3 double crosses. Oh and there was lots of '80s music. I don't like '80s music.

Just watched Spiderman: Homecoming. The best spider man movie of all time, by miles. Also, Michelle is the best character of the entire movie. I love her.

Just watched Spiderman: Homecoming. The best spider man movie of all time, by miles. Also, Michelle is the best character of the entire movie. I love her.

It's probably the best movie they could have made with the new approach to Spiderman they're doing in the MCU. I'll always have a soft spot for Tobey Maguire though.

Ghost in the Shell - I'm a Scarlett Johansson super-fan, but even she couldn't save this one. It was kind of a cross between the Matrix and Blade Runner with the visuals leaning heavily toward Blade Runner - 4/10
IIRC the Wachowski brothers (well, they were brothers then, at least) pitched The Matrix to Joel Silver as being ‘Ghost in the Shell with actors’.

Which doesn't make sense, given the Matrix doesn't have that many similarities to GITS. Other than superficial ones, like machines and a futuristic setting.
GITS (the original anime, not sure about the manga) had very little discussion of consciousness, tbh. Moreover in its case it was about consciousness in a machine (maybe with human traces/brain), which is why it was called 'ghost in the shell' (alluding to the 'ghost in the machine' stuff).
Matrix seemed to be about full-on virtual reality, and not about the actual brain as a main actor (you are lost due to the matrix and the machines run the matrix).

The original idea (it was cut out, because executives are stupid) was that actually the humans were necessary to the machines because the machines used human brains as the processors to run their own OS. Sadly, it got downgraded to ‘humans are Duracell’. Which doesn't make sense if you know thermodynamics.

The original idea (it was cut out, because executives are stupid) was that actually the humans were necessary to the machines because the machines used human brains as the processors to run their own OS. Sadly, it got downgraded to ‘humans are Duracell’. Which doesn't make sense if you know thermodynamics.
Do you have a source for this? Because omfg it makes so much more sense. Still not super realistic but much more realistic than the joke they went with.

It was quoted in TVTropes whose links are so out of date.
Right now the entry reads:
In The Matrix, the Wachowski siblings had wanted to have the machines use the humans plugged into the Matrix as a gigantic neural network computer. However, executives thought that the audience wouldn't understand this, so they changed it to using the humans to generate electricity, even though this violates the laws of thermodynamics and creates several plot holes (though some fans find it a decent enough metaphor)​
(I'm tring to find a better quote)

The ritual (2017)

Ultimately this wasn't very good. Had some positives too, though.

Spoiler :
The monster was nice, but also a bit of a rip-off of the Kothoga (from late 90s 'The Relic', a better film than this).
The guilt angle wasn't used with style or subtleness, imo.
The swedish hicks/pagans didn't really help with a horror sentiment; if anything it looked ridiculous. :)
Movie lasts for 1,5 hours. First hour-ish (up to when the first person in the hike dies) is better than the rest.

The Angelina Jolie version of Tomb Raider popped up on the BBC i player. It's not as good as I remember it from when I first watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom