1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which movies have you watched? XV - This title not included in your subscription

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Traitorfish, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I think what you mean to say is that your entire post 2000 life is during adulthood (that is the case for me as well). If your entire adult life was post 2000, then at least some of your non-adult life would have to have been post 2000 as well... unless you were born at the stroke of midnight in 1982 (In the US adulthood starts at age 18).

2. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Batman Vs Superman - 28%
    Glass - 37%
    X-Men Dark Phoenix - 22%
    The Da Vinci Code - 26%
    Angels and Demons - 37%
    The Book of Eli - 47%

Yeah I was able to come up with quite a few sub 50% that I liked. I'm not sure Rotten Tomatoes is a good indicator of what "everyone" likes or dislikes since it is critic scores and critics seem to have different standards than your average moviegoer. Perhaps IMDB scores would be better.

The_J likes this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I don't even recall the plot of Saw II :D

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Oh yeah, I forgot Equilibrium. :thumbsup:

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Well, I was 20 in 1999, but since I hadn't yet gone to university (and was still living at home and attending college), I count that as extended teen years.

I really enjoyed Equilibrium back in the day and I watched The Da Vinci Code over Christmas - Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina... Eminently watchable!

Sommerswerd likes this.
  6. Sommerswerd

I thought Da Vinci Code was excellent. I'm actually surprised that it received such low ratings, and even more surprised that National Treasure, which is essentially a dumbed down knock off of Da Vinci Code, received much higher ratings.

Equilibrium was also excellent, although I will admit that I'm kind of a sucker for dystopian future stories. What was special about it was all the "Gun-Fu" which admittedly isn't unique to the film and in a way, shamelessly copied The Matrix. But I've only seen one other film that devoted so much attention to the details of the Gun-Fu itself... Way of the Gun, which is about as on-the-nose Gun-Fu film as you can get.

7. Sommerswerd

No need. They're all the same, like literally the same story over and over with a couple different actors and traps. In fact, IIRC, all the Saw films together end up being one, single, long story. If you've seen one Saw film you've seen them all.

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

^Yeah, the point of watching the Saw films is not the individual trap in that game but the longer overarching story, and only if you're into that kind of thing.

9. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Fallout is the one of the series that's most like a sequel, as the events and characters of Fallout are followed from Rogue Nation. The events of Ghost Protocol are mentioned at the beginning of Rogue Nation, but the events are unrelated.

Tom Cruise does try to do as many stunts as possible, because he can always point out when a stunt double is used, as doubles don't move the same way. I don't know how much CGI is used, two scenes that did use CGI are the HALO jump, used to replace the Abu Dhabi desert with Paris and the planning of the extraction of Solomon Lane. That one was done to disguise that it was filmed, with silk curtains hiding the filming so as to not give the wrong impression.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  10. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Chieftain

Absolutely nothing can justify what Anders Breivik did, but if you leave that aside for a bit, I found the beginning of this documentary kind of scary.

As a person that has lived on social wellfare for about 20 years, and more often than not even have problems getting that, I wouldn't want any of these people to control me or the country, especially not as a group.

Charles Manson could turn up anytime.

And Fallout is better than the Daniel Craig Bond-films.

11. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I mean you can always use the audience tomatometer as reference. It's right besides the critics one.

12. JohannaK

T
    National Treasure the movie predates The Da Vinci Code the movie. It also makes came out the year after The Da Vinci Code book came out, and it was in development since 1997, apparently. So The Da Vinci Code coming out certainly gave the project a push.

I don't want to say it's also better, but it probably is. Dan Brown writes really entertaining books full of nonsense with gratuitous murder thrown in. National Treasure has all of that but spares you the murder. Win-win.

13. Sommerswerd

I stand corrected. I think the reason I thought that Da Vinci Code came out first is because I saw it first. But thinking back, I realize that I saw both on video rather than in theaters so of course the order that I watched them had no relation whatsoever to the release date. So that's my mistake and I owe National Treasure an apology. It certainly was a fun film and much more lighthearted compared to Da Vinci Code... which takes itself sooper, sooper serious.

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Well, given that Dan Brown treats his literary nonsense super super seriously as well, that fits the theme just fine.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  15. JohannaK

Don't get me wrong, Dan Brown certainly manages to make his nonsense really gripping and entertaining. But it's still nonsense. I think I read it when I was 9 or 10 and I could tell. I'm not sure that I've ever finished the movie. :lol:

16. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Sure, one could do that. But most of the time people when people refer to the tomatometer, presumably including the xkcd cartoon, they mean the critic one. The audience one is implicitly seen as lesser I guess.

17. Sommerswerd

I find that most times, not always, mind you, but in the majority of cases, when the audience rating differs substantially from the critic rating, I can make certain basic assumptions of what kind of film its going to be. Specifically, when there is a low "splat" critic rating, but a high audience rating, I generally can anticipate a "mindless good fun" type of film... heavy on the action, clichés explosions, special effects fighting, violence, sex, etc., and low on the depth, complexity, character development and generally shallow in terms of things to think about or ponder. When its the opposite, ie high critic rating but substantially lower audience score, I generally find that those films tend to be more cerebral, less reliant on action and more reliant on complex themes, characters, mystery, twists, subverted expectations, artistry and all-around just having a lot more to wrap the mind around.

Again, this isn't a bright line rule, there are, of course, exceptions... for example, sometimes critics and/or the audience may just have an irrational hatred for a particular movie that causes them to tank the ratings disproportionately. For example, I find that the critics are somewhat unfair towards DC movies vis-a-vis Marvel. I find them to also be somewhat biased against Dreamworks vis-a-vis Pixar, and biased in favor of Disney in general. I also find that the critics are extremely hostile to anything that is politically conservative.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  18. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

After almost 10 years of watching things, I still find it difficult to believe that people look at, and care about, reviews and scores before they watch the media in question. I simply could not care less what 5,000 faceless strangers thought about a movie or show before I know what I think about it myself.

19. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I wish I'd heeded the warnings about Tenet. I'll never get back that 10 minutes I invested in the movie.

JohannaK and Kyriakos like this.
  20. Sommerswerd

I like to read ratings, whether its movies, products I buy or restaurants I visit, etc. The way I look at it, I've got limited time to watch movies, so if I can spare myself from wasting 2 hours by quickly checking out the ratings, I'll take advantage of that. Plus, I can always ignore the ratings if I reeeeally want to.

hobbsyoyo, Samson and BenitoChavez like this.