Which movies have you watched? XVI - This title not included in your subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that the one that Heath Ledger literally acted himself to death in? I'd think that would get a yea based purely on that factor alone.
No, that's The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is the third one, with Tom Hardy as Bane.
  1. Batman Begins
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Dark Knight Rises

No, that's The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is the third one, with Tom Hardy as Bane.
  1. Batman Begins
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
Oh, :blush: that's right, my bad. I liked all three films. Bane was a cool villain, very different from what we usually see, in that he was both stronger and smarter than the main hero, whereas its usually an either/or situation.

I was so impressed, I saw it twice.

That movie is targeted to describe a certain type of thinking. And that type of thinking exists in the real world.

Yes, it is brilliant. Had my doubts though (the title and the lead). Fortunately the title didn't matter and Nikolaj nailed the lead role.

Another wretched, terrible movie, with a wretched, intolerable star in it. :vomit:
*Checks list of stars*
Joseph Fiennes - OK
Judi Dench - Yay!
Geoffrey Rush - always a pleasure
Colin Firth - my smother's generation's favourite
Ben Affleck - meh

It still manages to be, as you say, a wretched, terrible movie.
Members of the Anne Hathaway Brigade have probably seen it already, but for those who are on the fence, I recommend Colossal (2016). It's weird. Her episode of the Amazon anthology Modern Love (2019) was pretty decent, too, now that I'm thinking about her. Her version of Catwoman made little impression on me, I have to admit. (otoh, I was right smack in the middle of Michelle Pfeiffer's crosshairs in 1992. Is it getting warm in here? :blush: )

Well, obviously Michelle Pfeiffer is the best Catwoman of all time, but Anne Hathaway was a good second.

Well, obviously Michelle Pfeiffer is the best Catwoman of all time, but Anne Hathaway was a good second.
Newmar would be my #2.

Spoiler :

This is the movies thread. ;)

Over the weekend watched Robin Hood: Men in Tights and rewatched Ghost in the Shell on Youtube, both of which are free if you are in the USA.

Ghost in the Shell is good as always, and as a bonus it is the original and not the 'remastered' version with dodgy CGI and rejiggered color palate. It is also subtitled which does a much better job of linking the 1st and 2nd acts than the English dub.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights was probably the worst Mel Brooks movie I've seen. Some moderately funny gags, but the movie is carried almost entirely on Cary Elwes charisma. Nowhere near as many laugh out loud moments as Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs. Even the gags weren't as good as Young Frankenstein.

Nothing is as good as Young Frankenstein Fronkonsteen.

Since you're comparing Mel Brooks' films, have you watched Dracula: dead and loving it?

Since you're comparing Mel Brooks' films, have you watched Dracula: dead and loving it?
Eh, I rank Young Frankenstein below Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs. I liked Spaceballs in large part because of how it parodies scifi concepts, and Blazing Saddles is a genuinely good movie. I haven't seen many monster movies, so Young Frankenstein had to stand on its own. Haven't seen Dracula: Dead and Loving it. Haven't seen History of the World in a long time, but it was basically a collection of sketches.

Mel Brooks dis a Dracula movie. Oooh, I must watch!

Mel Brooks dis a Dracula movie. Oooh, I must watch!
Yeah, I haven't seen that one, either. Despite being a fan of both Mel Brooks movies and vampire movies.

You- didn't? Oh, just go and watch it.

Watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I have more mixed opinions on it after rewatching it. I had remembered the Shanghai scene being longer and better. Although silly, the visuals in the mine cart scene have held up very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom