Which movies have you watched? XVI - This title not included in your subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I should mention that about a week ago I watched the 1941 The Wolf Man.

If you're not sick of werewolves yet, I recommend Ginger Snaps.

I think I watched parts of that many years ago.

You should watch What We Do in the Shadows.
"Remember, we're werewolves, not swearwolves."

That one is frequently recommended that I should watch, along with the following TV series.

I was also thinking about Wolf (1994).

That's another I watched parts of many years ago. That film came out the same year as a game called Wolf, a life simulator that's unrelated to the film.

The last 2 family-movie nights have been Ocean's 12, and Lucy.

O12
was OK, but not as engaging as O11 (or O8, come to that), and while Lucy was visually interesting, Hollywood scriptwriters really need to let go of that "we only use 10% of our brains" meme.

(And also, WTH is Netflix.de thinking, rating a movie that includes drug (ab)use, sexual assault, and bloody violence as a "12"?!?).
I don't think there are any serious werewolf films
Possibly because such a thing would be an oxymoron? ;)

Watched the new Borat, pretty funny and cringey but nowhere near as good as 1st one. The actress who played his daughter was great

Borat 2. Predictable but enjoyable.
I thought it was OK. It was extremely predictable and that robbed it of a lot of the humor. Essentially it's shock humor but when you see it coming, there is no shock.

I also felt that they didn't push the social commentary far enough in this one. Last time I felt like they were holding up a mirror to society and they tried that this time but honestly they spent too much time developing the plot and not enough time interacting with Americans.

I thought it was OK. It was extremely predictable and that robbed it of a lot of the humor. Essentially it's shock humor but when you see it coming, there is no shock.

I also felt that they didn't push the social commentary far enough in this one. Last time I felt like they were holding up a mirror to society and they tried that this time but honestly they spent too much time developing the plot and not enough time interacting with Americans.
They may have planned for more but then the pandemic hit & they changed the plot

Oh man, how did I miss this when it came out :rotfl:?
It's a 21 Century success, it's why I'd recommended it a couple months ago. Funded on Kickstarter by people just having a lark, made free for the future to enjoy. And 110% awesome.

I watched some films lately.

The ones I liked best were probably "About time" and "Rush".

But most have been "passable" experiences. Two Jack Reacher films, Unforgiven, The Firm, Manchurian Candidate... Perhaps some more.

Since I liked Rush I was disappointed in Le Mans 66. A friend recommended it to me, but it was boring. I just wanted the racing scenes to be over with in contrary to Rush.

I also watched Remember me, and I think I've only seen Robert Pattinson in the Twilight Saga and Harry Potter earlier. An OK film to make you sad, but Pattinson's character seemed like the one in Twilight? A slow and confused appearance. I hope his Batman shows more energy.

The trial of the Chicago 7 was a huge disappointment. There were some minor new details, but the current
effort doesn't have any of the charm, wit and outright hilarity of the 1987 version Conspiracy: The Trial of the Chicago Eight.

Surprisingly good yesterday was How It Ends. Wiki says that the critiques dislike it, I don't know why though :dunno:.
The movie starts with a couple, her staying in Seattle, him visiting her parents in... I actually forgot, Chicago (?), to ask for her hand. When he wants to fly back, his girlfriend calls, but the call breaks down due to "something being wrong". Then all flights are cancelled, and all communication breaks down. It's unclear what happened, if it's WW3, aliens, or a natural disaster. He decides to get to her by car, joined by the dad.
Overall very diverse in what happens in the story. Not only violence. Also just normal stuff happening.
Makes me a) want to watch Jericho again (but it's not on Netflix) b) want to start prepping and to learn some actually useful survival skills.
I really liked this move. End was disappointing though.

Surprisingly good yesterday was How It Ends. Wiki says that the critiques dislike it, I don't know why though :dunno:.
The movie starts with a couple, her staying in Seattle, him visiting her parents in... I actually forgot, Chicago (?), to ask for her hand. When he wants to fly back, his girlfriend calls, but the call breaks down due to "something being wrong". Then all flights are cancelled, and all communication breaks down. It's unclear what happened, if it's WW3, aliens, or a natural disaster. He decides to get to her by car, joined by the dad.
Overall very diverse in what happens in the story. Not only violence. Also just normal stuff happening.
Makes me a) want to watch Jericho again (but it's not on Netflix) b) want to start prepping and to learn some actually useful survival skills.

I really liked this move. End was disappointing though.

That's why it was disliked. ;) The build-up bordered on average to good, but the ending was... not so good. Bad, even. Terrible, one might say. It was a huge cop-out.

I also watched Remember me, and I think I've only seen Robert Pattinson in the Twilight Saga and Harry Potter earlier. An OK film to make you sad, but Pattinson's character seemed like the one in Twilight? A slow and confused appearance. I hope his Batman shows more energy.
He was really good in The Lighthouse with Willem Dafoe.

I watched Resident Evil: Retribution and the action was very good but the plot made even less sense and was less coherent than all the previous movies which is kind of a feat when you think about it.

I watched Resident Evil: Retribution and the action was very good but the plot made even less sense and was less coherent than all the previous movies which is kind of a feat when you think about it.
I already did that a couple of months ago and got to the exact same conclusion. A friend of mine -and fellow fan of the videogame series- agrees that they should've stopped around the second film.

Went ahead and watched Die Another Day despite believing tjs282's advice that I could just skip it. It was the last Eon Bond film I hadn't seen. If it had been the first one I had seen, I might not have watched another one. Roger Moore summed it up well: "I thought it just went too far – and that's from me, the first Bond in space! Invisible cars and dodgy CGI footage? Please!"

To me, Die Another Day had the same problem a lot of superhero movies have to me - being completely implausible, including from a laws-of-physics standpoint. In Moonraker, there is a space station and six space shuttles. Economically implausible in 1979, and futuristic, sure. But NASA had space shuttles in the '80s, and the wealthier the villain, the more plausible they are a megalomaniac. In Die Another Day, you've got invisible cars, DNA therapy that completely changes peoples' appearances, and a plane that can fly though a ray that is destroying the whole DMZ and yet not be destroyed instantly - not to mention the space ray itself. Add in bad CGI and a weak plot in a series that long had good, often non-CGI action shots, and does best when it has a solid plot, and it's at the bottom of my list of rankings of the first 20 films. And having seen the more recent ones, it's not going to be surpassed.

My overall rankings through the first 20 films, with the caveat that in most cases, I've only seen each film once:

Spoiler :

Top 6

Goldfinger (Connery)
Moonraker (Moore)
Dr. No (Connery)
Octopussy (Moore)
From Russia with Love (Connery)
You Only Live Twice (Connery)

Middle 7

Tomorrow Never Dies (Brosnan)
The Living Daylights (Dalton)
Thunderball (Connery)
The Man with the Golden Gun (Moore)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Lazenby)
The Spy Who Loved Me (Moore)
The World is Not Enough (Brosnan)

Bottom 6

For Your Eyes Only (Moore)
Live and Let Die (Moore)
A View to a Kill (Moore)
License to Kill (Dalton)
GoldenEye (Brosnan)
Diamonds Are Forever (Connery)
Die Another Day (Brosnan)

Actor-Film Averages (through Brosnan):
Connery: 7.17
Moore: 11.14
Lazenby: 12
Dalton: 13
Brosnan: 14.75

I should note that to me, the single biggest component in a film's rating is the plot. Connery had the benefit of a lot of good material written by Fleming that hadn't been put into film yet. Each of the main actors has their own style, and that will influence individual preferences, but with the right plot and right supporting characters (and lack of really bad CGI), they were all capable of a good outing.

I love Moonraker, which is probably as @Synsensa would put it, 'on brand'. I've gone by the launch pads where they filmed shuttle scenes on the train, it's an absolutely gorgeous stretch of coast.

Edit: I was going to say it's almost too bad the launch pads are where they are because it means the area can't really be used for anything, but then I realized that's a blessing in disguise because it's keeping the area pristine as it is.

Last edited:
Terminator 2 and Almost Famous, what's not to like in this rainy afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom