1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which music system do you prefer? Peace/War or Eras?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kimiimaro, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

The title speaks for itself.

2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I like both. I hope Civ VII will have a mix of both systems, with the peace song changing per era and only one "era neutral" war song that obviously play when you're at war. It would be unrealistic to expect a peace and a war song for each era, reason why war would have only one.

I also like how it works on BE, with the music changing when something important happens, like launching your first satellite. Would be nice to have a a few of these moments where you do something and the music reflect it.

Knasp and WillowBrook like this.
  3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I like the greater variety of four era themes.

Some special event music like @leandrombraz suggested would also be nice.

I think I would like it if it played the wonder music when another Civ built the wonder - No animation or narration, just the music.

Knasp likes this.
  4. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I agree with @leandrombraz — both were interesting audio experiences that I equally enjoyed. In Civ5, the change in music added drama and effect during crucial periods in your civ’s journey. In Civ6, the evolution in a single theme is a great way to showcase the growing complexity and richness of your civ. I could not choose one as better than the other.

My only real complaint is Civ6’s tendency to replay other civs’ themes more often than your own. I sometimes choose AI civs based on the fact that I don’t want to hear an annoying them all game long...

5. Forster

Forster Prince

I turn it off.

6. kryat

kryat King

Eras for sure. The war time music was sometimes appropriate, but when off conquering, I’d rather something like Alex’s current theme to the darker war themes in V.

7. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Eras.

Well, I'd probably love a combination of both approaches, but I'd better let Firaxis spend money on gameplay rather than on effects :D

8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

If I compare civ V to Civ VI music, I vastly prefer civ V. This has to do with the choice to go for era music, but it could have been different.
    For some reason, someone decided that all music for each era got connecting elements - so all medieval themes have large similarities, all industrial themes have similarities and all atomic themes have similarities. This makes a lot of the music rather boring for me and lacking change (although R&F introduced an exception with Scotland). It's different for the ancient themes which are the most unique and refreshing ones for me. Stylistically, I dislike the industrial and atomic theme arrangements.

In contrast to that, Civ V offered a lot more change, which also results in me as the player listening more actively in contrast to the ever-same background doodling of the civ VI themes.

In both games, I really like that they went with unique songs for each civ - in contrast to EU IV, for example, where only some songs are connected to certain civs/regions/governments.

Of course, the best option would be the combination of both: unique music for the eras that is adapting to the game's situation (without bringing the music of each era into line).

As someone already said here, it would be nice if the wonder music for example would play on for a bit, the same goes for (potential) City State themes, and - of course - for Great Works of Music, once Firaxis decides to use recorded versions that are at least remotely pleasurable to listen for these.

Morningcalm likes this.
  9. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Well, that's the matter of taste. I, for one, like that they have something in common there. I even suspect that they all (including R&F) have something from Sogno di Volare in them, but I don't have enough ear in me to point the exact places...

10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I prefer Peace and War, if I had to choose one approach instead of both. Peace and War lends itself to the drama of war declarations and war as a whole and makes the music seem more dynamic in the way Age of Mythology or Age of Empires III music was (music changed when you unleashed an offensive God power, attacked an enemy town center, when someone was about to win with a trade monopoly, when someone revolted, etc).

As Siptah mentioned, the era system, while nice, lends to much repetition. One way around this is to have more variation in the music throughout the ages while still preserving the core melody. But in most cases, the music sounds rather samey (esp. in the case of the Greek themes). There is slightly more variation in some themes through the ages (Japan, Indonesia), but nothing drastic that screams "Atomic Age".

And in fact Civ VI as a whole lacks music that is catered for the modern age (compare that with Civ IV, which had some memorable modern themes like "The People Are the Heroes Now" (from the Nixon in China opera).

PeterChu likes this.
  11. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Eras easily.

12. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

For me, it's war/peace. Both systems show me the rising, rich and prospering civilization, but the Civ VI era system horribly fails at depicting war with its mostly happy and optimistic nature. It just doesn't feel right when I nuke or wipe out someone with Brazilian carnival music playing in the background. Also, I'm not fan of the violin in most of the medieval eras, and most of the atomic themes are too grand and bombastic for my taste.

I'll give two examples of the Civ V war themes and feelings they invoke in me.

This is the Persian war theme. It fits best when you declare war on Persia. It starts with Darius' shock that you declared war on the glorious and grand Achaemenid Empire, the largest and strongest empire in the world. It just doesn't make any sense. But the shock soon changes into the hate, as Darius accepts your desire to wage war against his empire. The rest of the song shows sorrow and makes you ask why? Is this war necessary? It finishes with people accepting the fact that age of peace has come to and something worse awaits.

The Mongolian war theme can be easily splitted into three parts. In the first one, we have Genghis Khan leading the Mongolian horde to a city through steppe. Its leader had a chance to surrender to Genghis, but he refused. It's too late now. The song gets faster, and large Mongolian horde is now visible from the city walls. They start siege of the city. As the siege continues, the gate is starting to break... And then, the way is free. The third, fastest part comes, and I picture Mongols riding through burning city, raping, killing and plundering. Eventually, they leave the city in burned ruins, with only dead, homeless and injured behind.

PeterChu and Maximo the Xth like this.
  13. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Peace and War, no contest.

I do like the music in Civ VI a lot, but the focus on having a central theme for each Civ that evolves over the course of the game has led to:
    a) essentially less variety in the individual Civs' music, since it's essentially the same theme in every era with a new arrangement, rather than the Civ V war and peace themes which really did sound very different, and
    b) less variety especially when you get to the Industrial era themes. Many of them are so overblown and brassy that I find myself missing the simplicity of the earlier versions, and granted, while you do still hear the earlier themes sometimes in later eras, you're still kind of back at problem a).

I do like the ambient music a lot more in Civ VI than in Civ V, where the only one of the regional ambient "soundtracks" I really liked was the Middle Eastern one.

Knasp likes this.
  14. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I prefer playing without music or narration.
    "Holiday in Cambodia" at volume 11 is a better background than
    all of the official caterwauling.

15. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

As beautiful as many of the era compositions are, Civ6 ultimately suffers from a lack of coordinated musical programming tied to game events.

I had a nice experience a while back where the world's first rocket launch was accompanied by the emotionally uplifting, Atomic Georgian theme. I was playing the Cree at the time, but it was still perfect. Unfortunately, it also occurred completely by accident, and such happy coincidences are rare. I suppose they remain memorable for exactly that reason.

Granted, Civ5's war/peace arrangement is a simpler concept, with less nuance. But it succeeds by punctuating surprising events with strong musical cues, rather than surprising you when things occasionally work out.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Civ VI's music is better but yes I think the peace/war style was better in V.

Especially Shaka.

17. Stomper66

Stomper66 Warlord

I prefer eras music in Civ6 is far better than Civ 5. I don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds though and give each civ a war song in a future update. Not too much to ask given that each civ already has 4 era songs and around 6-10 ambient songs for peacetime.

18. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

???

Kimiimaro likes this.
  19. Stomper66

Stomper66 Warlord

Sorry was quite an awkward sentence. What I mean is that all the music in Civ6 is quite peaceful sounding. The war songs in Civ5 were all a bit intense and aggressive. So each civ could have 1 war song that would sound very different from the music currently in the game.

Siptah likes this.