Which Nation Do You Play in Civ3 ?

If you had to name one, which of the Civ3 nations do you prefer playing as ?

• Americans

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Aztecs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babylonians

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Chinese

• Egyptians

• English

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • French

• Germans

• Greeks

• Indians

• Iroquois

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Japanese

• Persians

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Romans

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Russians

• Zulus

• Total voters

frunobulax

High Sheriff of Catford
Hail Fellow Mac Civ3'ers,

as I'm just starting out in Civ3 (after 3-4 years as a Mac Civ2 addict) I'm curious to know which nations people prefer playing, particularly when they're intending to play the game in one of the following ways

(a) World Domination
(b) Spaceship Victory
(c) UN Secretary General Victory

thanks

Fruno

P.S. So far I've played 3 games, as the English, Indians and currently the Greeks.... it's only my 3rd week at Civ3 :)

This is difficult, because I never play w/ just one civ. There are a couple which I rarely play, namely the Aztecs & Zulu. I believe your inquiry best suits which persoanlity trait versus which civ. I tend to play most games w/ China, Persia, Babylonians, Russia, and Egypt. The commercail trait is probably the weakest of all traits, in my opinion. The PC 1.29 patch improves this trait which would make the Romans a sweet choice for me. My choices for:

(a) world domination --- a militaristic civ
(b) S/S victory --- a sicence civ
(c) UN victory --- a religious civ

Originally posted by dojoboy
This is difficult, because I never play w/ just one civ. There are a couple which I rarely play, namely the Aztecs & Zulu. I believe your inquiry best suits which persoanlity trait versus which civ. I tend to play most games w/ China, Persia, Babylonians, Russia, and Egypt. The commercail trait is probably the weakest of all traits, in my opinion. The PC 1.29 patch improves this trait which would make the Romans a sweet choice for me. My choices for:

(a) world domination --- a militaristic civ
(b) S/S victory --- a sicence civ
(c) UN victory --- a religious civ

They changed Commercial in 1.29f??? What did they do to it? I didn't noticed anything about this in the list of changes. But I agree, Commercial doesn't serve me much in 1.21g.

Originally posted by Fier Canadien
They changed Commercial in 1.29f??? What did they do to it? I didn't noticed anything about this in the list of changes. But I agree, Commercial doesn't serve me much in 1.21g.

They increased the percentage of its bonus for items concerning trade, etc. It ought to be in the 1.29f read-me.

I have this weird memory of it not being in the read-me, it was something soren or someone mentioned in a chat. Maybe? Maybe it was something else...

dem

Usually play the Americans exclusively. Only because the Mongols were removed from Civ III ::sniff, pout, sit in a corner and suck thumb:: Ever since switching my SCA persona to Mongolian, I prefer Civing as the Mongols.

::still waiting on that editor so he can add /edit the civs to add the Mongols!!!::

My preference is Persia, Egypt and Japan.

I like fast worker in the former 2 civs. Also, I do not like long time anarchy.
But regarding to UU, immortals and samurais are so great. Samurai arrives in early Middleage, which we can build good Wonders such as Sun Tzu, SC, LW, JSB. Induction of GA at this time point makes a lot of advantage, I think.

So, this time I voted Japanese.

I beleive this kind of thread belong in the general civ3 section... but just to play the game, chinese, they are very versatile.

voted persians, their uu is just great and industrious is a wonderfull trait!

why did so many play americans? because most of you are americans (nothing against that)?
the uu is crap,expansionist doesn't appeal to me, allthough on big/huge maps it might be usefull.

the babs or egypt are great for builder games, the french i also like but the uu is useless.

in our gotm i realized that the chinese are good also, especially the riders are middle age tanks and their also industrious!

I voted 'English', because that's essentially what I am. However, I play lots of civs, depending on my mood, what history I've been reading, whether I want to set-up a win, etc.

Agreed also, the UU sometimes influences my choice. Samurai are great fun, as are the Musketeers--although I'm not too keen on 'Saint Joan'. If I'm feeling pacifist, I'll sometimes go Gandhi, but end up being a warmonger when I get Elephants.

This is a good thread--notice that we're all joining--because the usual suspects are all here. We're all most likely going to be each others' opponents if we ever get to 'play the world'. [Hi Nate!] Welcome frunobulax, this is a great 'little' community and I look forward to your mods when we get the Editor [Hi Nate!]

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
I beleive this kind of thread belong in the general civ3 section... but just to play the game, chinese, they are very versatile.

Perhaps, but since patch parity doesn't exist between platforms, we are playing a different game to some degree. Commercial trait civs are stronger under 1.29f than 1.21g. Also, bugs can not be confirmed or denied between the two platforms. There are probably other areas as well.

That's true dojoboy, but it was just a thought... I know very well that the two platform are much deferent since I starting to plan the unimaginable switch to the dark side. But I will always have a place for a mac in my bed room...

Originally posted by Sid

Welcome frunobulax, this is a great 'little' community and I look forward to your mods when we get the Editor [Hi Nate!]

Funny, but before the summer I was working on a WW3 Civ2 scenario, which was nearly finished (needed to be converted for PC users...)... but then I bought Civ3.... I can't see me going back now. I wish there was a Mac Editor :( as I have loads of ideas for scenarios.... ho hum.

Originally posted by Trabpukcip

Maybe you're right, but I guess I was thinking of Mac players, given that we're a patch behind :(

frunobulax, its great to have you w/ us. Hopefully the mac editor will be out before Halloween, and we can enjoy some of your scenerios. :)

Originally posted by dojoboy
frunobulax, its great to have you w/ us. Hopefully the mac editor will be out before Halloween, and we can enjoy some of your scenerios. :)

Well thanks dojoboy ! It's great to find some Mac Civ3'ers :D out there. I'm still playing a Civ2 PBEM on here, but now I'm converted over to Civ3 I'm just itching to make some scenarios... the ones I *was* working on (for Civ2) included a WW3 scenario (with loads on new units), plus one based on Isaac Asimovs "Foundation" novels. Hopefully I can start over and do them for Civ 3 !? Roll on Halloween.

Also, I used to do a lot of scenario converting from PC to Mac format in Civ2... not sure how this will work for Civ3. I presume that PC Civ3 mods/scenarios don't automatically work on Mac (maybe a *real* stupid question here !?)

Anyway, here's to lots on new Mac scenarios in the future ! :D :D

Fruno

Originally posted by frunobulax
Also, I used to do a lot of scenario converting from PC to Mac format in Civ2... not sure how this will work for Civ3. I presume that PC Civ3 mods/scenarios don't automatically work on Mac

Probably not, since the two platforms are different versions re: PC 1.29f & Mac 1.21g. :(

I am currently trying to win with each civ on Monarch level. So far, I've found the Iroquois to be the easiest to win with, especially if I can wipe out another civ early. Their special unit is really nasty early on.

Okay, I voted Egypt because I prefer religious and industrious traits above the others, science a close second. I play w/ a good many of the civs, never the same one back to back. My all-time high score was done on monarch w/ the Egyptians. Just whenever I play them, I pray I'm not starting in the jungle. War Chariots good. In jungle bad!

Top Bottom