1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which of the ORIGINAL civilizations deserve a UA/UU/UB change the most?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The Observer, Apr 10, 2013.

?

Which of the ORIGINAL civilizations deserve a UA/UU/UB change the most? (*Choose 3*)

Poll closed Jul 10, 2013.
  1. America

135 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Arabia

81 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Aztec

17 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. China

22 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. Egypt

10 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. England

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. France

38 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Germany

172 vote(s)
    43.3%
  9. Greece

32 vote(s)
    8.1%
  10. India

244 vote(s)
    61.5%
  11. Iriquois

16 vote(s)
    4.0%
  12. Japan

55 vote(s)
    13.9%
  13. Ottomans

69 vote(s)
    17.4%
  14. Persia

10 vote(s)
    2.5%
  15. Rome

14 vote(s)
    3.5%
  16. Russia

22 vote(s)
    5.5%
  17. Siam

12 vote(s)
    3.0%
  18. Songhai

42 vote(s)
    10.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dudu42

Dudu42 Chieftain

About Arabia, is not just about being competitive, imo, but also using the new trade mechanics. And the arabs should benefit from that.

2. Scauthra

Scauthra Chieftain

America - I want to see their UA changed to fit the new ideology system and/or world congress. I also would like minutemen to cost less. It feels nicer that way.

Egypt - The bonus does not seem amazing for what it does. I like to wonder spam some games and I don't feel like I have that much of a leg up if I do it as Egypt. I feel they should get a food or trade boost since the whole awe inspiring of Egypt always leads to their rivers and their wonders.

Iroquois - I want the Longhouse to do more, and for it to do more I want all woods to do more for them. Instead of just being free roads, why not give them extra food from forest? While you may not have deer in those woods as a resourse, there are still animals in there that would fill the forest. So give them a +1 food on forest.

I am terrible at game balancing. But I would like the most change out of these three.

3. Novu

Novu Warlord

For Iroquois maybe have deer give happiness like luxury resources do.

4. Ikael

Ikael King

One civ that I forgot about: Egypt! How can you introduce a new archeology mechanic into the game and leave Egypt out of it? I don't think that it should be remade from the ground up a la France or India, but a little bonust to archeological prospects would be in order, me thinks.

5. theadder

theadder Prince

Perhaps some sort of bonus for industrialised civilizations looting treasures from Egypt in the late game.

6. wigwam

wigwam Prince

They've already got that on their UB, actually.

Sometimes I do think Egypt deserves a change, sometimes not. Their UA is almost pointless in the hands of a human (in singleplayer)—on low difficulty levels, you don't need help building wonders; on high difficulty levels, you only build the wonders you're 100% certain you can build anyway. But it's kind of fun in the hands of the AI. Whenever I meet Egypt, I know Ramesses is going to be a pain in my ass all game long, gobbling up wonders left and right. Part of that is his AI flavor, of course, but the UA certainly helps him.

7. Ikael

Ikael King

I think that a way to represent this would be the Egypt UB a 25% bonus to have an artifact nearby to the city with the arrival of archeology, a kind of a bonus that would cut both ways: it can help you greatly to min / max artifacts, and it would make you a prime target for foreign archeologists too.

8. Blueboots

Blueboots Chieftain

So Arabia deals with internal (normal) trade routes, while Morocco deals with international ones? Or are they making changes to old civilizations? Otherwise, they strike me as a bit too similar early/mid game.

9. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

Why? Historically, Egypt has a pretty solid record in missing the boat on archeology on its own soil.

10. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

I noticed Arabia is fourth on the poll, but there hasn't been much discussion on why it should be changed.

11. wigwam

wigwam Prince

I think we all just expect it to be changed. The current UA would at least have to be reworded for BNW, and it seems probable that they'll change it to a bonus to international land trade routes.

12. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

For the whole "egypt should get new archeology bonus", do people really think egypt needs MORE reasons to get invaded? I mean I get historicality, but come on. At some point it's ridiculous.

13. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Egypt could use more flavour thats for sure, but Im not sure an archeological bonus would be best, after all it was foreign powers doing the digging until modern times.

They however could use something related to rivers, maybe a bonus to flood plains, or more trade revenue for cities on rivers?

Im all in favour of adding a bit more flavour to civs with plain UA.

14. pwnerer

pwnerer Chieftain

One way to fix a few Civs at once (US And Japan) would be to improve air dynamics. As it is now, fighters are pretty meh. I would love to have actual air wars with the AI. IRL airpower and control determines whether you can attack or not and can render fleets useless

15. pilot00

pilot00 King

I still believe that Japan if chooses Autocracy in BNW with kamikaze, will be a monster with its UA.

16. mposyncckh

mposyncckh Chieftain

I think a good change would be to give Egypt a bonus in the late eras for having burial tombs because the burial tombs although still very good due to their happiness, are the only unique building to carry a negative aspect with it. The double pillage for enemies. I think that in a late era possible with the archaeology technology Egypt could get either a modest lump sum of gold for each burial tomb, gold per turn, or a free artifact for each tomb. That way if you have kept your tomb protected you get another special bonus. I feel like an artifact would be too imbalanced so lump sum sounds the best.

Also maybe giving Egypt something special for having wonders. Nothing to much like maybe the follower belief(divine inspiration i think) that gives +2 culture for each wonder. That way you would get more for wonders and it could encourage Egypt to go to war for as many wonders as possible.

Maybe instead of the flat 20% production discount for wonders Egypt currently has they could instead get bonus production from internal trade routes. I know that most civs that built wonders would send people to the build site to facilitate construction but I've always thought of Egypt doing it more. Also I think it would be more interesting from a game play perspective because instead of getting wonder production for free you have to chose to give up gold producing routes and have maybe a super wonder pumping city. Also the production could be used for anything but it would come later because you would need to have workshops up and running.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the horse chariot I like it. However maybe in comparison the Huns unit should either not have free open promotion or the ability to move better in rough terrain. Compared to the Hunic Unit there really isn't anything unique about Egypt's unit.
    Edit: One: The bonus I put forth for the burial tomb at a later era would remove the extra pillage gold.
    Two: If the Hun's unit no longer had one of those two things the Egyptian unit should receive it

17. Nikae

Nikae Chieftain

We can only hope for designers reading these forums, it would be really good if they did.

Most 2 uu civs could be changed to ub-uu, either because their history is better represented that way (Ottomans, Rome) or because the uu is sort of useless (Zero, Panzer).

As far as uas go, I think they were good without the xpacs and dlcs, but mostly with religion implemented, some of those could really be altered to reflect game diversity (India is a perfect example).

In most cases the best thing that could be done is to add one more uu or ub to every civ, that could solve most of the balance issues, add a whole range of new diversity, all that without altering their preferred gameplay mechanics or styles. A very large part of this wouldn't even need the work with inventing new things, civ4 had unique buildings for every civ, most of those were really characteristic and unique while having an important part in the given civ's history. Good exaples are hammam, forum, royal exchange, assembly plant, citadel and the list goes long.

As far as player feedback goes I wouldn't want changes because I know better than the designers do, I'd want it because I play a lot, and a large part of civs I never play because they are boring compared to others. This goes for most non-xpac and non-dlc civs.

18. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

That idea of having an UB or UI to replace the 2nd UU is not feasible to every civ,because many lack good options for that,which is the case of America,Germany,Ottomans and Mongolia . For them,the best way is to buff up their UA with an extra ability,that gets stronger on mid/late game .

19. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

America (especially if the Shoshone UA and exploration focus is true) could use a new niche that take advantage of the new mechanics.

UA: Trade routes to other civs give you +1 tourism, can spend tourism on additional world congress delegates

UU: B52

UB: Mall, replaces Market, same economic benefits, 1 :c5culture: and +1 tourism per idealogical tenent adopted

you'll be an idealogical master who leverages your idealogy into diplomatic victory. I don't know if this is the best idea but I think it's unique from a gameplay perspective from everything that we've seen

20. Konsti

Konsti Chieftain

The problem is that this would be very late-game based, except for that trade routes, and also, at the beginning you a) dont have many trade routes b) want to use them yourself to buil up cities c) don't know that many civs anyway