1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which of these alliances against the Babs should we sign?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by eyrei, Jan 19, 2003.

?

Which of these alliances should we sign?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2003.
  1. Russia (we give military tradition)

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. China (we give RoP, 150 gold, and 10gpt)

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Iroquois (we give incense)

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. France (we give WM, 8gpt and RoP)

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  5. America (we give WM, 4gpt and RoP)

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  6. England (we give any of our techs and RoP)

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  7. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I'm concerned with all the support for bringing the Iroquois into this war, but not France and America. These two powerful neighbors of ours are already at war with the Iroquois. If we not only neglect to bring them in, but also sign up with their enemy, how difficult will it be for Babylon to enlist their support?

12gpt, our WM and RoPs with the two of them is a small price to pay to limit the fighting to our western border only. If we end up in a two front war, sandwiched between Babylon, India and France and America, I may retire early and start drinking cocktails down on Huntington Beach, no matter who ends up owning the city.... ;)

2. Feodor Ardent

Feodor Ardent Grizzled 'ol Civ Veteran

>"I'm concerned with all the support for bringing the Iroquois into this war, but not France and America."

I'll wager that is simply because the need for the Iroquois is so obvious. Without them, we have no clear line of advance even to protect Kagoshima, let alone plot a victorious path into Babylon.

We definitely need to bring at least one of France or America in. If the other one joins, then they can spend time battering each other.

If we can get both cheap, why not?

Altogether, I expect us to be quickly successful against both India and Babylon, and with the forces availble, properly upgraded and reinforced. India is a spent force, and Babylon is going to have to build a brand new army from scratch and throw it at the Russians and Iroquois. We should have them broken down to random attacks in just a few turns.

Feodor
    (Soothing, supportive, but firm)

3. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Please try not to spend gold on these alliances! Use gpt if you must but we need gold to upgrade our military. We need over 2000g to upgrade our pikes. More to the point right now, we can upgrade 26 of our 46 knights for 520g. We currently have 595g in the treasury and a surplus of 84gpt. Alliances or not, we need cavalry to fight these wars!

4. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I do not like giving away GPT! Please dont use GPT! GPT hurts our economy. If my new idea is implemented, we need all the GPT we can get!

5. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I'm not entirely sure I'm familiar with your "new idea" Goonie, but gold per turn deals can serve a purpose, especially when you're negotiating alliances.

Furthermore, considering our current economic state (ie. strapped for cash with lots of units in need of rapid upgrades), gold per turn may be more viable than the alternatives.

6. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

GPT is useful when dealing with civs that like to break alliances (everyone other than us). If we give them cash, they can just take the money and run. As it is, we will be spending only 4gpt and no cash on these alliances.