1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which of these trades should we do?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Chieftess, Feb 25, 2003.

?

Which of these trades should we go for?

1. Block 1

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Block 2

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Don't know if this is binding or informational. Trade is almost non-existant with Immortal gone, and Strider pretty much resigned. The rules seem to say any leader can make a binding poll, but I thought otherwise. Anyway... Which trades should we accept?

Discussion was here

If this poll can be binding, then this poll will be open for 24 hours, or until a quorum is met. (not to mention, I'm trying to move this game along when our major trading posistions - Trade and FA - are in a bit of turmoil right now)

Possible Trades:

Block 1:

Greece

IMPORT The Corporation, Espionage, 151g, 216 GPT!!!!!!
    EXPORT Electricity

Russia

IMPORT Silks, WM, 2 workers, 26gpt (38gpt if we renegotiate peace), 41gold
    EXPORT Steam

Block 2:
    Greece
    IMPORT The Corportation, 151g, 298gpt
    EXPORT Electricity

France

IMPORT Espionage WM, TM, Silks
    EXPORT Electricity

(we can get The Corporation as well, but Greece won't pay much extra for it)

Russia

IMPORT Silks, WM, 2 workers, 26gpt (38gpt if we renegotiate peace), 41gold
    EXPORT Steam

2. Immortal

Immortal Deity

I still have 1 T/c left, and I do intend to do my job. I was simply going to exercise my executive decision in this case. I have already done the trade instructions for tomorrow and ironically enough, the Block 1 greek deal is included in it. The Block 1 russian deal has been previously demonstrated to be against the peoples desires, which want to see Russia be destroyed and are against long term trade deals with them. The block 2 greek one doesnt offer enough for me to want to leave for the next term, and the french one was considered, but later abandoned in my trade instructions. Again the case has been brought about for russian block 2 and denied by the people in an earlier trade poll.

:)

3. Chieftess

But, to get Russia now, we'll have to cross Iroquois AND Babylonian territory...

4. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Ill tell you what, well compromise, Ill put a poll up right now. and let the citizens decide for the turn chat after the one tomorrow. That way quorum will be set and we will not have sacrificed many turns.

5. Chieftess

That's the problem... 1 turn can mean the end of a trade. I've seen that with my nationalism trade when my ISP's router failed... next thing you know, it lost its' value...

6. Immortal

Immortal Deity

we will lose the workers in the trade, there is no doubt about that. However without a new poll to change our standing I am still bound by the earlier one.

7. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Vote Block 1!! I can't stress this strongly enough.

Block 2 gives us Silks twice, so there is nothing to gain from the French trade that we can't get from the other two. Also, in preparation for ToE, we should give Electricity to as few civs as possible.

8. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Why is the Greece deal different in Block #1? Shouldn't the gpt be the same like the Russian deal? I'mm assuming that your making the greece deal first in both blocks.

Also DZ, you know the Greeks are going to sell Electricity to everyone they can. They'd probably sell it to the Persians if they could.

9. Chieftess

That's because we can get espionage from France instead of Greece.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Never take WM and TM in the same deal. WM includes TM so there's no benefit to getting it and you lose some of the benefit of giving a favorable deal to the AI.

11. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Cyc - Block 2 gives us 82gpt in lieu of Espionage. However, I believe we should still choose Block 1 for the following reasons:

1. France has nothing of value to offer us. We can get the Silks in the Russian deal and we can get both techs in the Greek deal. I don't think we should give away the farm just to keep another civ from doing so.

2. Most of the civs are broke. I mean, France isn't even offering us any gpt! It should tell you something when only two trades are mentioned for Electricity; no one else can offer anything better. Unless the AI is an absolute cheat with no regard to common sense, Greece will have even fewer suitable trade partners.

3. If we take 298gpt from Greece, we will take all they have and risk losing the deal should this fall south with their neighbor Persia. Let's take the less greedy route to ensure the deal goes 20 turns.

I think Block 1 is a no-brainer.

12. Cyc

Yeah, Block 1 is a tighter package with less overhead so it makes more sense. Of course we have to take Immortals concerns about Russia into account here. I voted for block 1 here, and I'm going to go vote in Immortals poll to allow the trade in the t/c after todays.

13. Immortal

Immortal Deity

if we renegotiate peace with greece we will recieve 276GPT

14. Cyc

Very cool, Immortal. I hope CT sees that.

I'm trying very hard NOT to make a joke about renegotiating a piece with grease.

15. Chieftess

:lol:

Anyway, yes, I saw that, and I hope that Immortal changes his instructions before the turn chat. Also, What about the Russian deal? It seems the citizen mood is to let Russia live for now...

16. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Renegotiating peace will also lose us the MPP, and that is under FA jurisdiction. With that department up in arms, you may need to make a judgment call, CT. We can also use the trade with Greece only if they cancel the MPP.

Remember, we need to leave Greece with some gpt or we risk losing what we can get for the 20-turn duration.

I am all for the trade with Russia. We are locked in with Babylon for the time being, so let's exploit Russia while we still can.

17. Chieftess

That would call for some good old moderator intervention... but...

Anyway, the MPP deal had gems, but renegotiating will still give us the MPP. I will converse with Cheetah during the chat.

In fact, we can get:

Renegotiate peace, MPP Deal
    IMPORT: The Corporation, Espionage, 293gpt
    EXPORT: Electricity

I still recommend going full force on that Russian deal, too.

18. Immortal

Immortal Deity

excellent, the change will be made, all is well in the kingdom :)

19. Chieftess

Here's what I got now:

Greece: Renegotiate peace, MPP Deal
    IMPORT: The Corporation, Espionage, 293gpt
    EXPORT: Electricity

Russia: Renegotiate Pace
    IMPORT: 2 workers, silks, 38gpt, 41g, WM
    EXPORT: Steam Power

20. Immortal

Immortal Deity

interesting, I wonder why mine says 276 as the most they will accept... :confused: