Which of those nations do you expect to win a WC Title during your lifetime ?

Which nations will join the club of WC winners before about 2050 ?

• Total voters

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
Well, that may sound as a curious question, but considering the quality of teams and the evolution of football, which teams do you expect to win a World Cup Title during your lifetime ?

I've chosen those 18 teams rather subjectively. I think many more should be here but you know how it is. None of the countries above have already won the World Cup. Please feel free to explain me your way of reasoning. Of course we can discuss about all teams as long as you explain me how you see it.

I've voluntarily excluded the 7 countries which already won a World Cup because that sounded as less interesting to me. However, I'm not sure I'll see countries such as France or Uruguay winning the World Cup again. We can still discuss about this if you want, but I'm more interested about newbie teams. :)

Its a bit of a strange question. There are teams in the list that I think are likely to win the world cup some day like Holland and Spain since they generally tend to have strong squads and then there are other teams like the USA, Japan, Cameroon and Nigeria who I think will improve and be closer to winning the cup in the future but its hard to judge how close. Then you have teams like Czech Republic and Sweden who should play in quite a few WCs and may have a strong enough squad to do well but may not win it.

If I was going to limit my votes I would probably only vote for Spain and Holland as it seems too early to pick which African nation will end up with a world cup winning squad. I might vote for the USA as well since it kind of has a horrible inevitability about it.

Guess I would have to think about what I expect to be my lifetime first and considering how I feel right now I would be surprised to see much more than one or two further WCs...

Guess they'll be won by Germany and Italy.

Hitro said:
Guess I would have to think about what I expect to be my lifetime first and considering how I feel right now I would be surprised to see much more than one or two further WCs...

On the poll question, it's specified "before 2050". ;)

Dell19 said:
Its a bit of a strange question. There are teams in the list that I think are likely to win the world cup some day like Holland and Spain since they generally tend to have strong squads and then there are other teams like the USA, Japan, Cameroon and Nigeria who I think will improve and be closer to winning the cup in the future but its hard to judge how close. Then you have teams like Czech Republic and Sweden who should play in quite a few WCs and may have a strong enough squad to do well but may not win it.
Well, imagine you've done a time travel and you're suddenly in 2050. Which teams you wouldn't be surprised in case they had won a world cup from now to then ?

Of course you can't be sure about anything, it's simply about expectations. I guess that in the list there are countries you certainly don't see as winning a World Cup title, and others you see as more likely to do so.

The purpose is actually to discuss about how worldwide football will evolve with time. :)

If I was going to limit my votes I would probably only vote for Spain and Holland as it seems too early to pick which African nation will end up with a world cup winning squad. I might vote for the USA as well since it kind of has a horrible inevitability about it.
I do agree with you that it depends how restrictive we would like our choices to be. But that's really up to you. It's more about expectations though... teams you wouldn't be surprised in case they would succeed. I haven't thought that poll as being really something strict.

That poll is essentially here to start a debate actually.

Hitro said:

You've picked "other" but you haven't specified. ;)

Marla_Singer said:
You've picked "other" but you haven't specified. ;)
I might not have read the poll question but you surely must have read "Germany and Italy" - and they are clearly "other". :p ;)

Hitro said:
I might not have read the poll question but you surely must have read "Germany and Italy" - and they are clearly "other". :p ;)
Ah ok sorry.

Well, for the good of the poll it would be great if we wouldn't pick the option "other" when thinking about Argentina, Brazil, Italy or Germany. :)

Those teams have already joined the World Cup Winners club... so they are assumed as excluded from the poll. :p

Well then, I think Iran has a chance at least as good as many other teams in your poll, so take that as other.

Iran has a considerably large population and football has an immense popularity there. More and more of their players play abroad (at least three in the Bundesliga) and they are certainly not worse than any other Asian team, including Japan.

Note for the moderators :

Could you please change the poll question ?

From : "Which nations will join the club of WC winners before about 2050 ? "
To : "Which nations could join the club of WC winners before about 2050 ? "

I would like the poll to sound less restrictive than it appears to be. Thank you. :)

I voted : Spain, Netherlands, Nigeria and Czech Republic. Totally biaised by what has happened so far, of course. ;)

It's really a tough question. With all that happened recently (World Cup 2002, Euro 2004...) it messes up everything, though I foresee a reaction by the traditionally strong teams in 2006 and 2008 before things equalize a bit more.

If the USA once wins the WC during my lifetime, I commit suicide. :mischief:

kryszcztov said:
I voted : Spain, Netherlands, Nigeria and Czech Republic. Totally biaised by what has happened so far, of course. ;)

It's really a tough question. With all that happened recently (World Cup 2002, Euro 2004...) it messes up everything, though I foresee a reaction by the traditionally strong teams in 2006 and 2008 before things equalize a bit more.
Yeah of course. We cannot know anything for sure. It's simply about a feeling we have, and you've voted in the spirit in which I imagined the poll. :)

If the USA once wins the WC during my lifetime, I commit suicide. :mischief:
Americans don't like "soccer" to watch, however, they are all behind their national teams when it goes for the World Cup. The thing is that Americans have a real thirst of a World Cup victory. That's maybe for bad reasons, but that thirst still exists. That's why I've voted for the United States.

I've also voted for China. I know that sounds awckward, but football is huge in China. They are crazy about their championship, and I expect that country to become really strong in football in few decades. Just like Americans, Chinese have also a strong thirst of victory. However, this would be more between 2030 and 2050 than before. I guess the US would win it before China.

Well i selected 4 teams.
Cameroon - African football is modernising and becoming mopre professional (as more of the players are now in top flight european clubs) and i feel that cameroon will lead the way, i hope they are the first african (indeed, first non european/S.american) to win the trophy.
japan - A dark horse, with potential. They are fanatical about football over there, and we've seen a few big names emerge recently. They might suffer from lack of regular top level competition at the moment, but you never know..
spain - Always amoung the favourites it seems, yet always, without fail, will underperform. I think there best chance would come if they get to host the cup, then they can finally win IMO.
holland - Always good, great history in the WC, twice runners up, and if they get there act togehter they can go further IMO. But not any time soon.

Others with an outside chance i would say are nigeria (simular to cameroon) and czech republic. they do well at european level, but havent really made it in the world cup yet.

My picks were
Cameroon always been one of the top African sides and I can only see them getting better.
China have such a huge population base and if they infest in football then they will have a strong team. There under 21 team beat Brazil last year at the Toulon tournament to get third place. Promise for the future.
Czech republic very strong team with lots of strength and depth. Were probably the best team at euro 2004 and could well win the next wc.
Mexico they have a very strong team that showed its quality at the confederations cup but was poor in the gold cup. I could see them winning it soon maybe even this time if they perform really well.
Morocco same as Cameroon
Nigeria same as Cameroon
Serbia and Montenegro have great youth teams which showed at the Olympics and the under 17 world or was it European cup. If they get a those two youth teams playing together they could be a really good team.
Netherlands same as Spain
Spain don't need to explain why really.
Sweden have a really good side if they get to the WC then there solid defence and midfield could get them at least draws but they will need there exciting forwards like Rosenborg, Ibrahimavic and Larson if he’s still playing and Ljunberg to create for them to win games.

I voted for:
Dutch, China- biased towards my dutch origins and because I'm half Chinese.
Spain- they have many natural talents, couldn't expect them to underperform forever.
Japan, South Koreans- biased because I want an asian team to win something
US- they have a culture of winning things, despite their total ignorance of football/soccer.
Cameroon- if there is a WC champion that comes from Africa, this is my best bet.

Other- Portuguese, for the same reason as Dutch/China.

Hitro said:

In your dreams... :smug:

On topic: Of the nations in the poll, I think Sweden, Holland, Spain and Japan all have very decent chances of winning WCs untill 2050. If the game becomes truly popular in the US, it might become a strong player as well.

I voted Spain, Cameroon and Czech Republic winning in the next 50 years. The Netherlands have a chance although I don't think they'll win. Should be interesting to see if the US will be a contender. I think they should do well in the next WC. The team looks pretty strong.

Top Bottom