Prince
Which one do you build first?

1. Barracks
2. Granary
3. Library
4. Forge
5. Aqueduct
6. others

Assuming that the city is defended and has a religion--and it will, almost all of my colonization parties include a Missionary of my state religion--it will be the Temple or Monastery. If it doesn't have a religion, it would be a Theater.

I usually build granary first. The second build is monacastry, forge or barracks. it depends on what is available. I just build aqueducts if i want to build the hanging gardens.

I always try to build the pyramids and/or the oracle first.
If I have another city wich don't build either of them, I build barracks first.
I have to defend against those damned barbarians. Granaries don't help much if your cities are captured or destroyed.

I'm not sure about the question - are we talking about the first city you found, or cities you found (or conquer) after all of these things become available?

For the first city or two: Usually Barracks.
Early game: Hardly ever Granary, since I'm going to hit the happiness cap soon, anyway.
Any part of the game, under almost any circumstances: My first build will never be a Forge or Aqueduct.
Conquered cities: Theatre or Library if I need to expand borders, Granary if I'm Creative.

For my first few cities, barracks. Then granaries and culture buildings to get my new cities up to speed with my old ones.

Granary because then soon that city will be able to build a settler and build things faster. It all equals faster expansion.

Graneries only help to make one's city unhappier, faster. I find that most of my cities will stagnate due to unhappiness at around 7 population, in the early game.

With my capital, it really just depends. Sometime's Stonehenge if I don't have creative, but usually it would be a barracks.

Early on, the next 3-4 settlements will have an Obelisk placed in there to expand their borders unless I have Stonehenge or creative. If I do not need an Obelisk, I'll purchase a barracks

Theatre->granary->(courthouse if maintenance is high)->forge->barracks/library

Funny that a poll asking what you build first is multiple-choice.

But I said granary. Good for building slaves - er, I mean, whatever it is you need.

I normally lead with a granary unless a city is having issues with growth due to poor food tiles. Then if coastal I lead with a Lighthouse and if landlocked I kick myself for building (or capturing and not razing) a stinker.

Later in the game if I'm building a resource outpost or dealing with a recently captured city (or just filling out some land) I'll lead with a theatre since the town's growth isn't as important as the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom