1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which PC will run Civ 4 to the max?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ManCity, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ManCity

ManCity Chieftain

Having just bought the game and put into the CD-ROM drive and found the disc wasn't recognised, I went onto the SRA test website and found that my current Packard Bell pc wasn't actually up to the right spec to run the game (I'm hoping that's the reason why the PC couldn't read the disc). Apparently my graphics card and RAM aren't enough for the minimum spec let alone the recommended.

The question is, can anyone advise me which PC is the best to handle the game so that it shows off it's sound, graphics and speed the best? I've seen a Dell Dimension XPS600 which seems to be more than compatible but it's pretty expensive at UK£950. Anyone got any suggestions so that I can actually play the damn game?!!

Many thanks,
    Jon

2. anjinsan1966

anjinsan1966 Chieftain

I can play CIV to the max :crazyeye:
    See my sig for my machine specs :scan:

3. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Mine runs it pretty well:

AMD 3500+, 2GB Corsair XMS low lat., nvidia 7800GTX, fast Hitachi hard drives, sb audigy, etc.

edit: I think this game is real RAM heavy, assuming your vid card isn't a TNT2. So just upgrade RAM.

4. PugFugly

PugFugly Chieftain

I'm looking to buy a new laptop computer soon and would like to find one that can run Civ4 well. Does anyone have experiences with a good laptop to run this game?

5. kattana

kattana Warlord

on my AMD64 3000+, 2GB RAM, 74GB RAPTOR drive with a 6600GT PCIe card i can run the game on max settings and it is zippy, even when hitting enter

edit: >Packard Bell

holy cow...i didnt realize they still made computers anymore.

6. ManCity

ManCity Chieftain

Thanks guys for your advice, appreciate it!! :)

7. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

It's probably true that your game isn't up to specs, but not being able to read the CD shouldn't be because of that. I think you might have another problem.

8. AER

AER Chieftain

If you go for the Dell XPS, I would get the one second from the bottom (or higher.) Don't go for the lowest, as it only has a single-core CPU, and Civ IV makes good use of two CPUs.

A better choice, IMO, would be a PC from a real gaming-PC company like Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_default.aspx

The Aurora 7500 (with the Athlon X2, NOT the FX-57) is probably your best choice. It is cheaper than the lowest dual-core Dell, and would trounce it in benchmarks.

9. JohnMK

JohnMK Warlord

I upgraded from 1 GB to 3 GB and that reduced my late game CTDs from frequent occurrence to nill (thus far). It's also noticeably improved general game handling and responsiveness. I suspect that for most people, upgrading their amount of RAM is probably the single best thing to do. 1.5GB is probably all that's necessary to optimize game performance; the most RAM I've seen it use is about 1.1GB, according to task manager.

10. pauldugdale

pauldugdale Chieftain

It's because it's a DVD.

11. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

I am maxed out at 1600 x 1200 with 4x AA. I am running an Athlon 64 3500+ with a gig of ram and an x800xl 256mb vid card.

12. Esteban

Esteban Chieftain

Running the game all the way with

AMD 3200+ 2.2 ghz
    1 GB RAM
    128 Mg Radeon card

Oh 1024 resolution sorry

13. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Prince

I saw the game run on a Dell 9300 Laptop with a 1.86 GHz Pentium M, an Nvidia 6800 PCIe, and 1 GB of RAM (533 MHz). It ran really really good. The zoom and scroll were as smooth as you could expect, the unit movement was nice, I don't think you need more than that, maybe late game, but I doubt it.

14. Nigel Stutt

Nigel Stutt Chieftain

Well my computer is quite low spec compared to a lot of those above except the graphics card - P4 2.4 GHz, 1Mb Ram, Radeon X800XT card 256Mb, Audigy card - and my game runs like a dream on 1026 resolution with all other settings to max - no slowdowns whatsoever. Havent bothered with any other resolutions.

I think the quality of the graphics card and a lot of RAM really helps in this game.

Nats

15. Isak

Isak Civ4 Scenario Designer

I think that hit the nail on the head pauldugdale. :)

@ManCity: Nice username. Promise to go yell at a few scousers for me tomorrow ;)

16. Roetghoer

Roetghoer Warlord

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    768 MB RAM
    changed my geforce mx 440 to a geforce 6200 (WOW improvement, 80 Euro's)
    and audigy card

There's still some stuttering, especially in the intro. sometimes sound gives a glitch.

AND after installing the new videocard the game improved considerably, BUT it still slows down a lot (on huge map, 11 civs) and eventually stalls. SO my best bet is: IMPROVE YOUR RAM!!!!! i think 1 GB would be a MUST higher would be recommended. Bare in mind i play mostly huge and terra maps. The bigger the map, the more RAM, fiddling with your graphics settings does not work for this problem, that's more CPU and VGA related. Game runs just fine on my 1800+

Good luck all.

EDIT: and yes my virtual memory has already been set to 2 GB (and is needed in late game)

17. magfo

magfo Chieftain

As said before. It's not a CD, it's a DVD.

As so often before, it's a SBtW issue! :p

18. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

Heres my specs, I have the game at 4x anti aliasing and 1024x768.... The only lag I ever have is late game in large(18 computer) games when I scroll to and from the world view... Otherwise no lag whatsoever...

P4 3.0 ghz 2 mb L2
    1 gig ddr2
    Saphire Radeon X800 256mb