Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Keep it "Polynesia"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Hiva (Marquesas Islands)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greywulf

King
Rather than an all encompassing "Polynesia" title, what if we instead had a single Polynesian kingdom representing the region?

Either Hawaii or the Maori. Hawaii has a very well known leader in Kamehameha but the Maori are also very recognizable.

I would be fine with either.

Either Hawaii or the Maori. Hawaii has a very well known leader in Kamehameha but the Maori are also very recognizable.

I would be fine with either.
I thinking about a possibility for one of the more original Polynesian peoples that the rest sprouted from, but also more powerful kingdoms, and Samoa and Tonga come to mind. I think Tonga was one of the most powerful for a time, conquering Fiji, or something like that. Maori may be iconic and recognizable, however they came onto the scene much later.

I thinking about a possibility for one of the more original Polynesian peoples that the rest sprouted from, but also more powerful kingdoms, and Samoa and Tonga come to mind. I think Tonga was one of the most powerful for a time, conquering Fiji, or something like that. Maori may be iconic and recognizable, however they came onto the scene much later.

I was just thinking, another reason the Maori might be likely is that they start in New Zealand, which has never had its own civ in the game before.

They can pal around down under with John Curtin. Whereas Tonga, Hawaii, etc. would all start on single hex islands.

That's assuming they take TSL into consideration.

I think Samoa would be interesting. We already had Kamehameha and Maori Warriors so I think they might make a difference.
Maori might be too militaristic for my taste. I think a cultural Samoa with seaside resorts would be fun. However I'm not picky and in the end any representation would be fine.

I voted for the Maori, because I don't want a proper New Zealand Civ. (Sorry New Zealanders! :p)
They would be pretty militaristic though, but what Polynesian people weren't?

Changed my vote to Maori, because I think they are both most popular and most likely.

Excited to watch their warriors dance the Haka as an "idle" animation.

Changed my vote to Maori, because I think they are both most popular and most likely.

Excited to watch their warriors dance the Haka as an "idle" animation.
I do think they are a bit too militaristic though, and they were a much later group compared to their ancestors in other parts of Polynesia. The Haka would make for a cool animation however, and they would probably start on a larger island, if not the main land. That being said, I don't mind the Polynesian civ starting on an island somewhere.

I would really love to see both the Māori and Hawaii.

The Māori would be fitting from a TSL perspective, given that New Zealand is currently unpopulated but large enough to warrant a civ to fill it. The Māori are also world famous, and have a very interesting culture. I’d be particularly excited to see a civ leader with tā moko.

On the other hand, Hawaii is also recognisable about the globe for similar reasons, and have the perfect leader candidate in Kamehameha. Being what I believe to be the last Polynesian island to be settled, it would make some sense to tie this civ to wayfinding and abilities associated with island-hopping and making use of little terrain and much sea. Hawaii has also been quite relevant throughout history, including modern history and today (despite now being a US state).

Furthermore, the way steel guitars were implemented into Polynesia’s themes in Civ V, the war theme in particular, was truly mesmerising and is something I am dying to hear return!!

As it seems to be the less popular option of the two at the moment, I’m going to give my vote to Hawaii. I will admit my bias however. I’ve been to Hawaii and fell in love with it during my short stay. It is so much more than just a holiday destination.

Last edited:
I would really love to see both the Māori and Hawaii.

The Māori would be fitting from a TSL perspective, given that New Zealand is currently unpopulated but large enough to warrant a civ to fill it. The Māori are also world famous, and have a very interesting culture. I’d be particularly excited to see a civ leader with tā moko.

On the other hand, Hawaii is also recognisable about the globe for similar reasons, and have the perfect leader candidate in Kamehameha. Being what I believe to be the last Polynesian island to be settled, it would make some sense to tie this civ to wayfinding and abilities associated with island-hopping and making use of little terrain and much sea. Hawaii has also been quite relevant throughout history, including modern history and today (despite now being a US state).

Furthermore, the way steel guitars were implemented into Polynesia’s themes in Civ V, the war theme in particular, was truly mesmerising and is something I am dying to hear return!!

As it seems to be the less popular option of the two at the moment, I’m going to give my vote to Hawaii. I will admit my bias however. I’ve been to Hawaii and fell in love with it during my short stay. It is so much more than just a holiday destination.
Two Polynesian civs would be cool, and they technically could do that, as Polynesia is quite diverse. That being said, I seriously doubt it. I think we will only get one, as there are only so many places available for new civs.
To me, Tonga and Samoa are kinda where the ideas of Hawaii and the Maori sorta meet, which makes sense, as they were where these cultures sprouted from. Personally I would like to see an older Polynesian culture. If we get a newer one however, Hawaii and the Maori are both very valid choices, but for different reasons. I imagine that whichever of those two are picked (assuming they pick one of those two), the flavor of the civ will be different...Maori would likely be more militaristic, while Hawaii is more easily linked to the wayfinding ability. In the end, I am so supportive of Polynesia because of that wayfinding ability. It is unique and really adds to the game. With that in mind, if I had to choose between the Maori or Hawaii, and not both, I too would first choose Hawaii.

Maori, Hone Heke as leader.
Leader Ability: Utu, When declaring a war of liberation or war of retribution, Maori receive bonus production and bonus movement when starting in friendly or occupied territory.
Civ Ability: Treaty Settlement: Gold Per Turn for any citys lost in war or ceded in a treaty.
Unique Improvement: Pa. a replacement for the fort that comes earlier than normal, can be built by workers, bonus culture when near districts, bonus food when near farm or pasture.
Unique Unit: (not sure of name) replacement for scout, Bonus defense in a Pa, ranged attack in a Pa, Can retreat to nearby Pa after attacking, Bonus attack against gunpowder units.

Two Polynesian civs would be cool, and they technically could do that, as Polynesia is quite diverse. That being said, I seriously doubt it. I think we will only get one, as there are only so many places available for new civs.
To me, Tonga and Samoa are kinda where the ideas of Hawaii and the Maori sorta meet, which makes sense, as they were where these cultures sprouted from. Personally I would like to see an older Polynesian culture. If we get a newer one however, Hawaii and the Maori are both very valid choices, but for different reasons. I imagine that whichever of those two are picked (assuming they pick one of those two), the flavor of the civ will be different...Maori would likely be more militaristic, while Hawaii is more easily linked to the wayfinding ability. In the end, I am so supportive of Polynesia because of that wayfinding ability. It is unique and really adds to the game. With that in mind, if I had to choose between the Maori or Hawaii, and not both, I too would first choose Hawaii.
Good argument in support of Tonga and Samoa. I wouldn't be against any of the options really. I just don't want to see another blob Polynesia civ as I don't think it does the region justice.

You're probably right about only getting one civ from Polynesia, but I can dream. A DLC with the Māori and Hawaii and some Polynesian city-states like Hanga Roa would be an instant buy for me.

This is an impossible question to answer. Most of us want Maori/Hawaii, and in absence of two civs, Tonga (Samoa incorporated).

In an ideal world we'd have all three, along with 75 other civs. It's like choosing between Norway/Denmark/Sweden. Or Ireland/Scotland. Or Khmer/Siam/Burma. Or most Native American tribes. The more comparable equivalents we have, the harder it is to distinguish one as more deserving of the other.

I actually really liked blob Polynesia in Civ V. If they had to only have one civ, the fact that they pretty evenly covered the Polynesian triangle was very satisfying to me. It threw out all the right signals that they were trying to cover all the major civs in the region (except Tonga, which was a shame). Also, it's decidedly a less offensive blob, given that the entirety of Polynesia was settled by the same wayfinding "Polynesians." And for centuries there were trade routes between the various island kingdoms.

Good argument in support of Tonga and Samoa. I wouldn't be against any of the options really. I just don't want to see another blob Polynesia civ as I don't think it does the region justice.

You're probably right about only getting one civ from Polynesia, but I can dream. A DLC with the Māori and Hawaii and some Polynesian city-states like Hanga Roa would be an instant buy for me.

This is an impossible question to answer. Most of us want Maori/Hawaii, and in absence of two civs, Tonga (Samoa incorporated).

In an ideal world we'd have all three, along with 75 other civs. It's like choosing between Norway/Denmark/Sweden. Or Ireland/Scotland. Or Khmer/Siam/Burma. Or most Native American tribes. The more comparable equivalents we have, the harder it is to distinguish one as more deserving of the other.

I actually really liked blob Polynesia in Civ V. If they had to only have one civ, the fact that they pretty evenly covered the Polynesian triangle was very satisfying to me. It threw out all the right signals that they were trying to cover all the major civs in the region (except Tonga, which was a shame). Also, it's decidedly a less offensive blob, given that the entirety of Polynesia was settled by the same wayfinding "Polynesians." And for centuries there were trade routes between the various island kingdoms.

I'm not against just calling them "Polynesia", and part of me is more supportive of doing that instead. I just wanted to explore other possibilities, and I do like the idea of specific Polynesian kingdoms as well...Guess I'm a little torn on this. It's more inclusive of all of the Polynesians to just keep the blob name, and fits especially well with the wayfinding ability, and most importantly, it allows the devs to grab parts of all of Polynesia ~ Hawaiian leader, Maori UU, Rapa Nui UI...How cool was that! If we just had one culture, we couldn't do that, and we might not get the Moai statues at all (the Rapa Nui are not very likely to be included otherwise), or we might not get Maori warriors who dance the Haka, or we might not have a cool and recognizable Hawaiian leader...I think that choosing just one culture within Polynesia would mean we would sacrifice something that we may want in the civ. The alternative is impossible: We are most likely not going to get more than just one Polynesian civ.

I'm not against just calling them "Polynesia", and part of me is more supportive of doing that instead. I just wanted to explore other possibilities, and I do like the idea of specific Polynesian kingdoms as well...Guess I'm a little torn on this. It's more inclusive of all of the Polynesians to just keep the blob name, and fits especially well with the wayfinding ability, and most importantly, it allows the devs to grab parts of all of Polynesia ~ Hawaiian leader, Maori UU, Rapa Nui UI...How cool was that! If we just had one culture, we couldn't do that, and we might not get the Moai statues at all (the Rapa Nui are not very likely to be included otherwise), or we might not get Maori warriors who dance the Haka, or we might not have a cool and recognizable Hawaiian leader...I think that choosing just one culture within Polynesia would mean we would sacrifice something that we may want in the civ. The alternative is impossible: We are most likely not going to get more than just one Polynesian civ.
Ideally that would have been good if we just called it Polynesia. But for continuity, it would feel out of place now, in my opinion, calling it Polynesia when this recent expansion has seemingly also broken up the longest running blob Civ, the Celts b introducing Scotland. That's why I'm perfectly fine with any of the options without necessarily sacrificing the unique aspects of the different kingdoms. I'm more picky with what i want in other Civs over any Polynesian ones.

Ideally that would have been good if we just called it Polynesia. But for continuity, it would feel out of place now, in my opinion, calling it Polynesia when this recent expansion has seemingly also broken up the longest running blob Civ, the Celts b introducing Scotland. That's why I'm perfectly fine with any of the options without necessarily sacrificing the unique aspects of the different kingdoms. I'm more picky with what i want in other Civs over any Polynesian ones.
Polynesia is really one of the best candidates to stay as a blob civ though. I think they could easily get away from keeping it as it is, especially since otherwise we will miss out of those awesome Moai statues that help make them more unique and immersive...Personally I really would rather keep those Moai statues. I don't mind having a different UU though, but if we had the Maori as the civ, we would have those Haka dancing warriors ~ which is cool, but actually now I have something else I would prefer. I want something to helps with the wayfinding ability. I am thinking of a unique scout called the Outrigger canoe, which can travel swiftly across ocean tiles (maybe it turns into a scout on land, so as not to sacrifice their land-scouting). This would really work well with the ability that makes them so niche, and would benefit the civ more than the Maori warrior UU could. The wayfinding ability, and the outrigger unit, are generic for Polynesia as a whole, but might be sacrificed if we go for just one kingdom instead. Can you imagine if we got a Polynesian kingdom that doesn't have the wayfinding ability? That ability is the very reason why I'm so passionate about getting a Polynesian civ.

I think there is a substantial chance that we could get a more fleshed out or even parsed out Polynesia this time around. It's a much loved part of the globe, and Polynesia despite criticism is possibly the most popular addition to V. I could see Polynesia getting two leaders like Greece did, one Maori and one Hawaiian. And maybe getting a Tongan-ish unique unit to split the difference (they do all have similar names for their boats). The Island Heads could just be the wonder included with the DLC. I could also see Maori/Hawaiian being split into two civs entirely for the same DLC pack.

Either way, I think that region is perfectly structured for DLC. And specifically because it is so likely to be isolated to a single DLC pack, that substantially increases the possibility they will put more effort into developing the concept than if they were just one of eight civs in an expack.

I think there is a substantial chance that we could get a more fleshed out or even parsed out Polynesia this time around. It's a much loved part of the globe, and Polynesia despite criticism is possibly the most popular addition to V. I could see Polynesia getting two leaders like Greece did, one Maori and one Hawaiian. And maybe getting a Tongan-ish unique unit to split the difference (they do all have similar names for their boats). The Island Heads could just be the wonder included with the DLC. I could also see Maori/Hawaiian being split into two civs entirely for the same DLC pack.

Either way, I think that region is perfectly structured for DLC. And specifically because it is so likely to be isolated to a single DLC pack, that substantially increases the possibility they will put more effort into developing the concept than if they were just one of eight civs in an expack.
I would especially love to see two leaders for Polynesia, one representing the Hawaiians and one the Maori. I would hope that the Moai statues are more than just a wonder that anybody could build. I want them to be specifically for the Polynesians, and can be built along the coast, like in Civ V. If the civ is called "Polynesia", then it is no problem to do this, and makes sense, but that is the only way for them to get the Moai statues while still making sense (other than adding the Rapa Nui separately, which won't happen anyway).

Māori. Why? Two words: tā moko. :p That being said, Hawai'i would be a fine choice as well. I'd suggest we could have Motunui led by Moana, but she's busy leading Indonesia. :mischief:

Māori. Why? Two words: tā moko. :p That being said, Hawai'i would be a fine choice as well. I'd suggest we could have Motunui led by Moana, but she's busy leading Indonesia. :mischief:

Hey! Austronesians don't look alike! :p Gitarja lacks Moana's beautiful hair.

Top Bottom