Which Settings Options Do You Prefer? Why?

You forgot about the advert for cake Plastique :)
^^ Seems I've done my job so well that I don't have to anymore. : P

Anyways, back on topic, I also play with Huts off but Events on. I like a bit of randomness in the game and usually have fun attempting the quests if they're feasible. Playing a historical game without slave revolts, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc seems silly.

Mostly standard settings just because after playing around with the settings I find thats the most fun for me.

Epic speed, units and techs obselete too quickly for my liking on standard speed. I just found it to be the best balance for my liking

After I reached EMP I started turning off tribal villages because I just think its massively unfair that the AI starts with more units and gets better results, I do love them tho. I wanna edit the xml such that everyone gets the same bonuses but cbf.

I will sometimes hit No Barbs or Raging Barbs to mix things up a bit

I like to play all the different map scripts.

I usually pick my leader but sometimes drop a difficulty level and go random for something more fun and less intense, I find I learn new things that way.

Never anything else.

1. Epic speed: A more relaxed game that doesn't take forever.
2. New random seed on reload: Randomness is fun, kids.
3. Random personalities: I know how the real Izzy will act, every.single.time...
4. Huts on: Who doesn't like a freebie once in a while?
5. Events on: More flavor to the game, except for the &^&$#$@# volcano!!
6. Random Civ: I'm just that kind of girl. -- To lazy to choose. :lol:

Everything else standard.

Some settings can make the game much harder or way easier. I haven't tried much Random Personalities myself but the way I figure it, it's the hardest settings option of the ones available for a "standard" game; worth ~ 0.5 difficulty level.

Always War or One City Challenge could be insanely difficult but they are so drastic it's not really comparable. Random Personalities is a direct nerf to only the player in proportion to their Civ IV game knowledge.

marathon, huge, huts, random event, new seed on reload and raging barbs. best for challenge.
:nuke:

Do you guys like not know what new seed on reloading does >< It's the worst setting ever, just streamlines the ability of the human to cheat in wars.

Just streamlines the cheating ;). Without it, you just have to do actions in a different order to get a new roll on the critical roll. But I only use the power for early barb combats.

Do you guys like not know what new seed on reloading does >< It's the worst setting ever, just streamlines the ability of the human to cheat in wars.

I don't reload in wars. I use new random seed to reset the RNG between play sessions.

Epic speed, large map. Usually turn off tech brokering and turn on the random seed on reload. Huts and Events on.

Map selection is the hard part. I like a map with 2 or more large landmasses, with ocean separation, but not something as 'regular' as a Terra map or Big & Small. Lately it's been variants on Archipeligo maps, but I've used Fractal and Tectonics as well.

Standard, standard, no vassals, huts or events. That's pretty much it. Unrestricted leaders in maybe 5% of my games, either if I'm feeling random or had a very frustrating last game and want to play something overpowered to win for a change.

I too play with Kmod. My settings make the game much harder when you combine them all together.

Kmod itself makes the game TREMENDOUSLY more difficult because the AI is so much smarter, really the difference is astounding.

-random personalities: This too makes the game MUCH harder. No longer can you just say "oh gee I have leader x and leader y as my neighbours, according to the spreadsheet I just need to get them both to pleased and then they won't declare on me". Kmod fixes this too by making diplomacy less of a certainty but with random personalities I truly do not know what the AI will do. Ghandi could dagger rush me, Shaka could start wonderspamming, who knows.

-choose religions: I originally ticked this for aesthetic purposes, I was tired of everyone being Buddhist and Hindu every single game but now I realize that it too makes the game slightly more difficult as the announcements of a religion being founded do not tell me what tech that civilization revealed. It actually makes grabbing a religion significantly more difficult.

I disabled diplomatic victory, I just don't like the way the AP and UN work in the game.

Finally, I disabled tech brokering. This was something I did to better the balance of the game, in my eyes. In high level play often the only thing that allows the human player to keep up with the AI (esp immortal and deity) is clever tech trading. By implementing all the previous changes the game is very difficult for me even on emperor so I disabled tech brokering so that the entire game doesn't depend on clever trades. If there is any one thing from Civ 5 that I wish were in Civ 4, it's the tech diffusion system. Tech trading is stupid.

It's funny that Karadoc is Australian and his two biggest fans are Canadians ;)

Well, hockey fans gotta have someone to root for in between hockey games :mischief:.

Well, hockey fans gotta have someone to root for in between hockey games :mischief:.

I thought that was what moose hunting season was for...

Top Bottom