Which SGs of the last few months are worth reviewing?

ChrTh

Happy Yule!
I'm back after an 8 month hiatus, and it took me all of five minutes to plunge into a Civilization Coma and play for two hours without realizing it...life is good, marriage may be rocky again.

Anyhoo, since I missed everything in the last few months, I'm wondering which of the completed or ongoing Succession Games are worth reading. If there was a game you particularly liked, post a link or name here and that way I (and others, as well) will know to look for it.

The SGs don't have to be absolute classics; games that are highly instructive will also be a boon.

And yes, LK, I plan on reading all of yours by default :)

IMHO this one will be remembered for a long time.

RBE2

Hi ChrTh and welcome back. It's been a while but you did said you would return eventually. I wonder how many people even realize that you created the Training Day succession game concept. :D

I'll echo Matt_G and suggest reading through RBE2, as it's quite simply the finest succession game ever played. Any of the RBE games would make for a good read for that matter, but the second one definitely takes the cake.

Heck, I forgot that I created the Training Day concept :) ... nice to see that something I've done on this earth may survive me.

Ok, I think I need to go read RBE2...

Hey ChrTh

Welcome back. Perhaps you'd like to read the rest of CT2. We finished that one with my first ever diplo win!!! Of course, I couldn't stomach the vote. Hotrod handled that for us.

CT2

Here's a good recent one: an utter demolition of deity level with some fun variant rules:

MOW

and of course there's Finally Ready For Regent, which has just been bumped to the top of the forum. I don't know if it'll ever be completed, but it's hilarious reading as far as it goes. Sirian and Charis milked the concept for all it was worth. (Part of the fun is seeing how long it takes some really good players who were lurking to figure out the catch ...) :)

Renata, who loves this stuff

CT2 : That was fun and my first Monarch win I think!

I suggest inf2 : AW without fast units. And no map trades. Gruelling but fun. You learn a lot playing with Charis and Sirian.

Just finished RBE2, and I just have to say... GOOD LORD! That was awesome. Twice almost conquered, once almost hosed by a corrupt file, plans to emergency nuke that were never carried out...
Un-Buh-Lievable.

Welcome back ChrTh :)

Besides the already mentioned LK and RB-series I think
HOT3 is worth reading. It shows how a bunch of Non-Deity-players achieved their first Deity-win

Rowain

If you're interested in a recent loss (and all the good advice from lurkers included), here was CG4

Speaking of good games, I really think there ought to be a succession game Hall of Fame where all the classics can be listed for posterity. There could be votes every 6 months or so for what people felt were great SG's that they have read or participated in and these could then be added to the Hall of Fame. I know many other internet discussion boards that have Halls Of Fame for great threads, so maybe there should be one for SG's:)

This is a possible SG idea: has there been a game (Training Day or otherwise) whose primary focus has been on air warfare and instructing the best methods to do the whole air thang? The only reason it might be a bad SG is because, well, you'd have to get 3/4 in before you can concentrate on the task at hand. I'm just looking at trying to improve an extremely weak portion of my game...

i would definately sign up for something like that. the only effective time i used air power was when i had 107 stealth bombers. the frech didnt satand a chance. but i am weak with bothe artillery and air power.

Hi ChrTh, I don't think we've really 'met' before, but I would like to congratulate you on your excellent training game idea. I've run a couple of them myself recently which you've no-doubt noticed.

In my observation, succession game concepts that are based around the industrial or modern age don't work well, since the players may well dominate the game far before then.

Anyhow, skill in aerial warfare is a minor skill in comparison to most. Many good players use air power little if at all. For instance, in the recently completed SP5, a Deity level game with variant rules, I fought a modern age war against the Indians and Romans, the two biggest powers in the world, and I wiped the Romans out in just 2 turns, without using planes at all. They are useful in some situations, but not useful enough to warrant playing an entire game revolved around them.

-Sirp.

While I appreciate the rememberance, I must point out that the Training Day Games were and are successful because of those that take the time to teach. Why don't you thank a TDG instructor today? :)

Actually, Sirp, I have a variation on my idea that I've actually launched as a possible SG: CTR0. Take a look and let me know if you think it's doable.

EDIT: BTW, it's nice to know that after 8 months away, they STILL haven't fixed the clock in the forums :)

Actually, I think they fixed the clock twice during your absence. ;)

The too many connections problem was fixed also but then we got into the days of streaming ads and what ever other problems we have now.

Top Bottom