Which speed in civilization do you prefer?

Beeing new to Civ IV I was wondering if someone could explain more in detail what different effects the various speed settings have on the game?

Is it as easy as years per turn is more or less based on speed of the game? For example one turn in the beginning of the game might be 100 years for normal and 200 for quick? Is it something like that?

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, Years per turn scale with speed (for a turn of 100y on normal you would get 150y on quick, 67 on epic and 33 on marathon), so Quick is 1,3 times faster than Normal, Epic is 1,5 times slower and Marathon is 3 times slower
Most of the game mechanics scale with speed with the notable exception of unit movement, which is why Marathon is widely considered as warmonger-friendly (the enemy cannot build units/research new war techs as quickly on Marathon than on Quick)
For other interesting stuff check out this article: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411750

How about making this thread into a poll?

I like to play Epic, Normal is okay too, but Marathon and Quick are to slow and fast respectively.

How about making this thread into a poll?

I like to play Epic, Normal is okay too, but Marathon and Quick are to slow and fast respectively.

I think there was one last year. It turned out to be fairly evenly divided between Epic, Normal and Marathon. Very few players play Quick.

You do realize you can do this? Go to custom game, and find "Starting Era". Change it to whatever.

You can change the starting era, not the finishing era.

I think there was one last year. It turned out to be fairly evenly divided between Epic, Normal and Marathon. Very few players play Quick.

Once I answered Quick in one of those threads. I wouldn't now.

You can change the starting era, not the finishing era.

Once I answered Quick in one of those threads. I wouldn't now.

Copy the XML with tech costs into custom assets. Wherever you want the tree to stop, start giving those techs a -1 cost in the custom assets paste.

That will make it so nobody can research past them and the game stays stuck at whatever tech grouping you want forever.

Normal.

I dunno, I just don't have the patience to play Epic. I know that Epic and Marathon are somewhat easier, since they bring the human's tactical advantages to the forefront, but I just don't like them.

Granted, I don't hold it against anyone if they enjoy playing Marathon (though I find it a bit weird that they could stand to play for that long!). Civ is a game that you should customize to your liking. For example, I play my OCC's with Permanent Alliances turned on, which can make the endgame substantially easier, but it's more fun that way IMO.

Normal or Epic, depending on whether I'm a peacemonger or a warmonger.

Kjotleik's LongPlay 1.0

Choices are Speeds of 2 000, 3 000 or 7 000 turns to finish a game!

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway:)

Hello Kjotleik of Norway,

Regarding your link, I believe that's just way to slow.
I rather not have to hit the enter key some 80, 120 or 280 times just to build my first worker.

Yours sincerely,
uat2d of Portugal.

^ mara is already 1500 so it's not like 2000 is a big jump (the jump from epic to mara is greater). If you are going to make a mod to lengthen the game, those are reasonable cutoffs IMO, though way to slow for my tastes and not well balanced for the map sizes the game has.

I wish the programmers understood how to apply variables into their code, such that we don't have 10 turn treaties and war checks every single turn regardless of speed.....

Hello Kjotleik of Norway,

Regarding your link, I believe that's just way to slow.
I rather not have to hit the enter key some 80, 120 or 280 times just to build my first worker.

Yours sincerely,
uat2d of Portugal.

I thank you for your opinion. I must tell you that you still have the choice to play Quick, Normal, Epic or Marathon in my mod as well as the new slower speeds.

That is one thing that I actually like about Civilization IV. The fact that you can either play a fast-action-packed Quick game...or a slow warfeast-game on Marathon...

I am one of those who actually like it slow (maybe I'm just not good enough to play Normal speed?), and love to see my empire grow a little each turn...

@TheMeInTeam: Yes, I agree with your opinion that a Peace Treaty should scale with game-speed. If I had the ability to do that, I probably would. However, I have made the 2nd best option of changing the XML to have Peace Treaties of 25 turns in my mod. I am currently considering if that too is too few turns. I don't know yet!

My own current test-game I'm using my 3000 turn speed (Millennium) with my SuperBig mapsize (23 040 plots), and using the PerfectWorld2 mapscript. A Galleon needs from 15-20 turns just to reach the "New World" from my "Old World" empire. I'm beginning to think that Navigation I and II may be the way to go for Naval Units with these settings.

I do realize I probably haven't gotten all the details right yet. Therefore I would appreaciate responses to your experiences in my thread:
Comment on Kjotleik's LongPlay 1.0 here

Yours Sincerely

I seriously can't even try to joke with members on this forum. :lol:

I make fun of one dude saying he speaks Native American by talking like an Indian who smoked a little bit too much of the peace pipe he answers me calmly telling me he didn't understand, I mock with one's post structure, he replies me with "thank you for your opinion, that's actually one thing I like about Civ4, the fact that yada yada yada"... :lol:

I'm sorry, Kjotleik, I was just trying to annoy you, guess that I failed. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy playing on Marathon, it's just that's just too much and besides you signing your posts like that made me try it :p

Spoiler :
With this kind of community, the mods really don't really need to do much :p

I seriously can't even try to joke with members on this forum. :lol:

I make fun of one dude saying he speaks Native American by talking like an Indian who smoked a little bit too much of the peace pipe he answers me calmly telling me he didn't understand, I mock with one's post structure, he replies me with "thank you for your opinion, that's actually one thing I like about Civ4, the fact that yada yada yada"... :lol:

I'm sorry, Kjotleik, I was just trying to annoy you, guess that I failed. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy playing on Marathon, it's just that's just too much and besides you signing your posts like that made me try it :p

Well, a successful joke, being sarcastic etc. is not easy to pull off in a forum of this type. Most of the communication between people is based not on the words themselves, but their body language and tone of voice.

So, to successfully "mock" or "praise" people you probably need to know the person in question, and he/she needs to know you. That way, you both know how each of you think, and what you mean on different topics.

Also, If a person that is angry and annoyed reads anything he/she is more likely to think that the mind of the person writing is trying to mock them, while a person with a more likeable attitude in life is more inclined to actually take it as a joke...and laugh it off as such.

In the end, without any other form of communication than plain words I try to be polite to avoid offending people. I could be "rude" trying to make a joke, but that would most probably be misunderstood as me being a bastard...by those of you who don't know me in person, that is...

So, it is better to just be nice to people, and leave the sarcasm and jokes to occasions where you actually know the person you are trying to play a joke on enough that you know he/she won't be offended.

Yours Sincerely

Marathon. Unlike other Marathon fans I don't need something even slower, but I understand their point of view.

Epic, but i'm a relative noobie. Normal was ok as well, but i like it a bit slower so i chose epic.

Top Bottom