1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which speed in civilization do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by reddishrecue, Nov 6, 2011.

1. DAC

DAC Chieftain

I find Marathon almost always leads me down the road of Warmongering and the AI tends not to be able to cope.

The best IMO is Epic because, its slow enough that Units aren't obsolete almost immediately, but at the same time if your not quick and decisive with your wars you can fall behind pretty badly in the tech race.

Epic is the perfect speed IMO.

2. MaxWar

MaxWar King

:agree:

3. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Marathon may make war victories easier but it does not make them mandatory. I mostly play marathon and mostly win culture, UN diplo, or space race victories. Now and then I will go for a war victory for variety but I usually avoid wars. This may not work at higher levels but it works fine at Noble where I have settled in.

4. Cheps

Cheps Chieftain

Played Epic for a while, now I'm back to Normal. There's not much difference, except that units kind of move faster in Epic (or everything else is slower if you prefer).

I often war so I thought that epic would fit me better, but in the end I can war just fine without the "unit obsolete" problem. There are ways around it, e.g. you build elephants way before you get military tradition/gunpowder, and then with a well timed trade mission and a few turns at 0% science you upgrade them all within a few turns and you are good to go :) Also an army with half old units and half new units can work perfectly well, even if your ennemy has the newest units himself.

When I was less experienced I would wait to reach technology X and Y before making units, then start building an army, and by the time I had a good stack I just reached technology Z and felt like having to build more of the new units. Now that I plan properly and balance my commerce and production to fit my goals, I can consistently win games with war (currently at Emperor, will move to Immortal soon).

Of course it's easier in Epic. But maybe it's too easy there ;)

5. Jouzou

Jouzou Warlord

I prefer normal, just because I'm so used to it, but Epic is okay, too. I have actually never tried marathon; maybe I'll give it a go one day. Quick doesn't get much love from me, either. These days, I only play it if there's a HoF challenge or xOTM in Quick speed.

Another disadvantage of Quick is that your GA lasts 6 turns, but you still have to wait 5 turns between civic changes. Thus, if you're a non-spiritual civ and want to change twice without anarchy, you have to do the changes on the first and last turns of the GA.