[NFP] Which spot will make the best Petra city?

kaspergm

Deity
I need some input in this current game. Petra has not been build, and next turn will give me Imhotep which will allow me to rush Petra. Problem is. Where will be the best location? The best location would be directly west of the sheep, but there's a mountain blocking this hex. Should I settle where my Horseman is placed, should I settle on or near the sheep (and loose fresh water access - but Mohenjo-Daro is right north of here, and I can become their suzerain for only 3 envoys), should I settle further west (near the diamonds) and lose access to Eye Of The Sahara, or should I settle east, either along one of the rivers (and lose access to most of the hills) or on the flat land next to the mountains? Decisions, decisions ... :dunno:
Spoiler :
upload_2021-5-4_11-4-5.png

Oh, if only Pedro could use his impressive nose to sneeze away some of those unhelpful mountains! It hurts to see how much they're blocking.
I'd probably pick a spot just SW of the sheep. Quite a number of desert hills in reach, at lest 2 of which would be sacrificed to a campus next to the geothermal and 3 mountains, and a HS next to the Eye and 3 mountains, and another one probably for an aqueduct if MD becomes too contested, still 7 remaining, if I can count.

Where's the terraform ability when you need it? Civ 1 would've allowed you to level all those unnecessary mountains into hills :D

I'd settle on the tile just SW of the sheep. Sick campus and holy site, and I bet you could put a sweet preserve where your horsie is.

Like the guy said earlier, 7 desert hills in the 2-ring, of which you lose 3 to districts. Then 4 more in the 3-ring that you could buy. Maybe put Petra to the NE so Sao Paulo could get a Theater square adjacency off it?

On the coast or on the geothermal vent would also be okay, but SW of the sheep has the most possibilities.

I hope you got Desert Folklore :lol:

I hope you got Desert Folklore :lol:
No, I got Sacred Path. Hello double adjacency for each Rainforest. :eek:
Spoiler :
upload_2021-5-4_13-13-18.png

I play with a mod that makes hills work like in Civ5 (i.e. hills give +1 production but -1 food), so this was a really slow start until I got Work Ethic + Scripture up and running, from that point it's been a blaze.

Btw. I ended up settling the Sheep for the extra food in the city centre tile.
Spoiler :
upload_2021-5-4_13-17-36.png

I would have settled east of the diamonds I think. You still have the good campus, a great HS and lots of dessert hills. Also you could have settled a city east if your horseman and somehwere at the river north east of the eye of sahara. Those cities still have great HS spots and at least a few good tiles (maybe the north east one needs a preserve to get some food).

Btw. I ended up settling the Sheep for the extra food in the city centre tile.

I didn't realize Eye of the Sahara was desert hills. Sweet. That's going to be an epic Petra city.

And Dortmund isn't in a bad spot either, if you can flip it.

I didn't realize Eye of the Sahara was desert hills. Sweet. That's going to be an epic Petra city.
EOS is flat desert but has its base yields improved since last patch. But Petra improves all desert tiles so also affects EOS.

I'd settle the city southeast of the diamonds, plop the Petra down and eventually get a harbor to the northwest. Petra is really useful cranking out ships. There's also some nice floodplains nearby so the city can grow large. But that's just me.

Top Bottom