[NFP] Which T3 religious building do you choose and why?

If Sweden or Canada are in the game, the value of the Pagoda goes up considerably. Probably not worth the investment if they're not in the game. The Stupa no longer has any value with the nerf to amenities. The worship buildings in general could use an overhaul.

Cathedral
  • Brazil (bonuses generate extra great people)
  • England/France [Eleanor] (focus on getting great works to flip cities)
  • Russia (bonuses generate extra great people)
Dar-e Mahr/Synagogue
  • Ethiopia (more faith = more everything else)
  • Indonesia (buy boats with faith)
  • The Khmer (suicide missionaries into enemy religious units for relics)
  • Mali (buy buildings, units, and districts with faith)
  • Poland (suicide apostles with martyr promotion into enemy religious units for supercharged relics)
Gurdwara
  • The Aztecs (higher population to increase district cap)
  • The Cree (more population to work free tiles)
  • Egypt (higher population to increase district cap)
  • The Gauls (higher population to increase district cap)
  • The Incans (more population to work mountains)
  • Korea (more population to work seowon-adjacent improvements)
  • The Maori (more population to work features)
  • Nubia (higher population to increase district cap)
  • Persia (more population to work Pairidaezas)
Meeting House
  • Australia (more districts and builders)
  • Babylon (most eurekas involve building things)
  • Canada (more production for winning competitions)
  • China (most eurekas and inspirations involve building things)
  • Netherlands (more districts and builders)
  • France [Catherine] (wonder spam)
  • Greece [Pericles] (complete city-state quests)
  • Macedon (more troops)
  • The Mayans (more builders)
  • Rome (build baths in every city)
  • Sweden (more production for winning Nobel Prizes)
Mosque
  • Arabia (aggressively spread religion for more science)
  • Georgia (convert city-states for double envoys)
  • India (make missionaries to spread other people's religions in your cities)
Pagoda
  • Hungry (sell favor for gold to levy city-states with)
Stupa
  • Byzantium (counteract war weariness)
  • Gran Columbia (counteract war weariness)
  • Greece [Gorgo] (counteract war weariness)
  • The Mapuche (counteract war weariness)
  • Mongolia (counteract war weariness)
  • Norway (counteract war weariness)
  • The Ottomans (counteract war weariness)
  • Scotland (more amenities = more science and production)
  • Scythia (counteract war weariness)
  • Spain (counteract war weariness)
  • Sumaria (counteract war weariness)
  • The Zulu (counteract war weariness)
Wat
  • America (rush to radio)
  • England [Victoria] (rush to electricity)
  • Germany (might as well rush to electricity, I guess)
  • Japan (rush to industrialization)

If I had the choice of all of them, I would probably go:
1. Meeting House
2. Wat
3. Stupa
4. Pagoda (even if all I really do is collect enough and still get out-voted by the AI most of the time)

I hardly ever choose one of of the other ones. I think a couple times if I've been in low-food areas the Gurdwara can come in handy, but I find that if I need art slots, I just build more theatres. If I want more religion spread, I'd rather just get more faith. I guess if all those top ones are gone, I'd often just go Synagogue for the faith dump. The dahr-e-mehr sounds cool, I think I tried it once early on, but it takes too long to catch up that I'd rather just stick with the synagogue. There's no way I can get one built early enough to feel like it's going to pay off.

If I"m going for cultural victory I usually take the cathedral to have more art slots.

If not, I usually take the +science, +amenities, or +diplo favor building (in that order) if available.

I love the flavor of the Dar-e Mehr, but it could use a bit of a buff. The Cathedral is in dire need of a buff. Religious Art is already the easiest to theme so that's automatically going in an Art Museum if I'm shooting for a CV.

I love the flavor of the Dar-e Mehr, but it could use a bit of a buff. The Cathedral is in dire need of a buff. Religious Art is already the easiest to theme so that's automatically going in an Art Museum if I'm shooting for a CV.

I agree. It would be cool if cathedral gave some sort of bonus to the art in it (+50% tourism, etc) to provide some reason to put art there instead of museums.

I agree. It would be cool if cathedral gave some sort of bonus to the art in it (+50% tourism, etc) to provide some reason to put art there instead of museums.

Maybe the religious artwork in Cathedral will not suffer the religious tourism penalty. Many people visit Vatican because of Michelangelo rather than Catholicism.

The Cathedral is good if you are playing as Russia, but otherwise it is largely pointless.

Whenever possible, I grab the Meeting House for bonus production or the science one if Meeting House is taken.

I tend to go for an early religion, focusing on fertility rites, work ethic, meeting house and then whatever is left when I finish my religion later in the game. I try to found the first or 2nd religion, in the hopes of getting both work ethic and meeting house, to boost production.

Cathedrals would be perfect for Kongo if they could build holy sites. A lot of great artists to use, but you want arch museums for the bonuses.

Cathedrals should at the very least also be able to house relics. And would ideally have some bonus if their slot was filled.

If I'm going for a religious victory, definitely Mosques. They're kind of redundant in every city, but the extra faith from having a T3 helps. I pretty much make them in all my RV games.

Pagodas are great for diplomatic victories, especially if you want to take Arabia or Russia that route. My fastest DiploV is a tie between Hungary and their envoy spam and Russia with pagoda spam.

I've used Wats for some scientific victory games, but they're not necessary. Just nice to have and it depends on the civ.

Otherwise, I don't really build T3 holy site buildings.

I've used Wats for some scientific victory games, but they're not necessary. Just nice to have and it depends on the civ.
TBH Wats are more valuable for culture civs as a nice boost to keeping up in science with fewer Campuses.

I'm one who always seems to go for mosques in my RV games, even though I know that the extra charge isn't really worth it. The RV comes from combat, and I know that.
Reading this thread has me wanting to put a skicky-note on my monitor - "hey dummy, don't go for the dang mosque!"

I'm one who always seems to go for mosques in my RV games, even though I know that the extra charge isn't really worth it. The RV comes from combat, and I know that.
Reading this thread has me wanting to put a skicky-note on my monitor - "hey dummy, don't go for the dang mosque!"

The problem with relying on combat for a RV is that there needs to be some Apostles from other religions to fight! I find that many times, I send Apostles out looking for a battle when there are few to be found...especially in Apocalypse Mode where many HS have been destroyed or pillaged.

To me, that extra charge is very helpful in a RV.

Top Bottom