1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Which tabletop games do or did you play? (if any)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

If this is the Civilization I am thinking of, I agree with your assessment. I felt like there was a lot going on in the board game, a bit too much even, and it was difficult to keep track of everything going on. At least it was playable in one setting unlike the other Sid Meier's Civilization board game.

I think Twilight Imperium kinda falls into the above category for me. I have tried its lighter cousin Eclipse, we were able to learn and play that in a 5-hour time period which works for a weekend afternoon.

Ah. I hope you get a chance soon, I'd love to hear your first impressions of 'em.

GATEWAY ACTIVATED. Now join us in the deep end, the waters are fine!

I have only read about those on BoardGameGeek, I had an old gaming group that had tons of classic games from the 70s through the mid-90s but I'm not around there much anymore.

I'm in this camp. I like the concept and the theme, but there is still too much of a random element for me, and the dice can lead to some long-term and persistent frustration I don't get with the random element in other board games (thinking of Power Grid, St. Petersburg, and Tammany Hall, for comparison).

Do you play with newbies every time, or are you just the polar opposite of my brother?

I second 7 Wonders. I'm also a long-term fan of St. Petersburg with the expansion fix, that's fairly easy to learn, has good depth, and was my gateway (I consider it the unofficial 4th gateway along with Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, and Catan).

I think Paris Connection is a nifty variation on the train games, although it might be a bit too simple for what you are looking for.

2. PhroX

PhroX Deity

7 Wonders is easy to learn - the basic mechanics aren't that complex and can be picked up in a single playthrough with relative ease - but a lot of the best strategies might not seem immediately obvious. There's also several expansions which add extra mechanics into the game which you can add later if you so desire.

But if I had to say just one, it's Cosmic Encounter (yes, I love that game :p). The mechanics are very straightforwards and easy to learn - with the exception of a few of the races, but they're clearly marked as such and the rulebook explicitly encourages them to be removed from the game when playing with new players. The depth and complexity comes from the interactions between the players, which you can take as far as you want. The only potential negative is that I'd say it's best played amongst a peer group. Due to the sheer amount of negotiation, backstabbing and general dickery that goes on in a game of CE, I wouldn't suggest you play it with your kids.

3. mangxema

mangxema I

I play a lot of games (regular local group, plus I've been to a couple game cons) so I'll focus more on stuff I didn't see above:

-Suburbia: I just got this, and I'm really happy about it. You basically build a suburb, which sounds kinda dry, but there's a lot of strategy involved, and there's a lot of opportunity for dark humor. The mechanics are solid and there's enough variability between games to keep things interesting.

-Bang! The Dice Game: An Italian elimination game about the Wild West where everyone (except the Sheriff) has a hidden agenda. Essentially, it's a bit like Yahtzee, except that people die.

-Red7: I've only played this once, but I really like it's simplicity. Every turn, you have to play a card (or two), and if you're not winning, you lose. That's pretty much it.

4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I think of heard of this one before, I'll see how cheap I can find it for.

Wow, a board game with dark humor. I'll have to check this out. :)

5. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

If you like dark humour you need to get cards against humanity.

6. PhroX

PhroX Deity

Ah yes, I was meaning to mention Cards...

It's awful, but at the same time, with a bunch of friends, great fun. Particularly after a drink or two. Just don't bother playing if there is anything in this world that offends you...

7. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Nothing offends me, but I have no one to play it with. I was going to buy it but then I didn't.

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Ah yes, CAH. There are a few problems with that game (I can't imagine playing it 100+ times, certain players don't appreciate subtlety & will always pick the most disgusting/ridiculous card as the winner) but overall its quite fun. Good for breaking the ice with people you don't know all that well.

9. PhroX

PhroX Deity

Yeah, I agree about the lack of subtlety amongst players. I drop things like Step 1: White Man's Burden, Step 2: The Trail of Tears, Step 3: Profit, and it gets a bunch of blank looks while a joke about paedophiles wins...

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

You should play with me and my people, we go deep with those.

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

It's not everyone else's fault your joke wasn't funny enough, you gotta play to the crowd you have.

12. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

I've played 7 wonders a couple of times, and I like it, but I haven't found many of the 'deep' strategies some of you are talking about. Care to share some of the juicy info, so I can beat my friends next time?

edit: Some other games I play are Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Genius, Agricola and Chrononauts.

13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I recently played Alhambra and Jet Set, the latter for the first time. Surprisingly, I won the latter too!

14. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Chrononauts, as in the card time with time travel?

15. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

Yes, the game by the makers of Fluxx. It's a bit unpredictable (but better than Fluxx), but it is nice if you don't want a too complicated game.

16. mangxema

mangxema I

It's subtle, and not necessarily deliberate, but in a game-imitates-life kind of way. Like, there's one hex that's a housing project. It gives you a one-time infusion of population (victory points) but nobody wants to live next to it. It drags down the value of any other residential areas nearby. The best way to incorporate them into your city is to put them out past your industrial area and just pretend that they don't exist.

17. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Master of the Pan Flute

Wow, no one's mentioned Dark Tower yet ?

Otherwise, was definitely a grognard, mostly The Alamo, lots of Avalon Hill stuff (esp. Blitzkrieg), and others.

Also many things Steven Jackson, esp. Car Wars!

18. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

The same game I play on the couch and the bed.

19. CivCube

CivCube Spicy.

20. Smote

Smote Emperor

DnD, 5th edition

Various Board Games (Terra Mystica and others)

Also enjoy dominion. The interaction with other players involves making piles run out at the right time so you win, even if they have a better economy.