Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
DiscoTrek has never not been bad.

I'm inclined to agree. Earlier in season 2 it seemed like they were onto something with the Spock storyline. It was a contained story, didn't involve klingons, and introduced Captain Pike who was cast well.

But now they're back to klingons, and really hamming up the ridiculous Section 31 subplot.

Oh, and back to mycelial nonsense. Spock? Spock who?

Since I haven't been watching, I have no idea which "Spock story" you mean. I read a lot of the discussion on TrekBBS, however, and am among those who tried this show, found it to be some combination of annoying, boring, stupid, disgusting, and not at all a real TOS prequel that we gave up.

Well, you can hardly claim to know its current quality if you don't know what the "current" is. ;)

Well, you can hardly claim to know its current quality if you don't know what the "current" is. ;)
I sometimes catch up when Space runs holiday weekend marathons. I think the show is still programmed into my PVR, so I have the episodes. I just rarely watch TV nowadays other than my soap, whatever the current CBS reality show is (Survivor started yesterday), and occasional reruns of Voyager. I'll watch The Handmaid's Tale when the third season starts in April and I did watch some of the current season of Outlander.

The problem is that a lot of what I like is only available on the extra channels that cost extra. Basic cable is included in my rent, but there's not much I like on those channels. It was possible to keep up with some series on Netflix but I had to cancel that.

I don't even watch Doctor Who anymore.

The ecstacy of gold track helps. :D

I first heard TGTBATU when I was about 12 years old, and it took me until last year to find out how some of the sounds were made.
Classy Danes, classy prop. :)

Through 5 episodes, season 4 of The Magicians is my early front-runner for Favorite Show of 2019. Hale Appleman (Eliot) continues to be one of my favorite actors, but suddenly, I really love Margo. I didn't love her before, I feel okay admitting now. Also, I never "shipped" Eliot and Quentin, but it kinda works, doesn't it? Hunh. Go figure. (Conversely, I'm not feeling Penny-and-Julia yet, but we'll see.)

I first heard TGTBATU when I was about 12 years old, and it took me until last year to find out how some of the sounds were made.
Classy Danes, classy prop. :)

That was amazing! :thumbsup:

It's not often we see female conductors, and the "atmosphere" was interesting as well.

Peggy and the Pirates stands head and shoulders above the later seasons of Married with Children.

I think I've caught up with Disney's disjointed displaying of the Miraculous Ladybug second season.

I watched through the first season of Russian Doll. I don't get it. The show felt pointless to me.

Did I miss some deeper meaning or was this just a meh show?

Re-watching "Civilisations" because I love Simon Schama's earlier documentaries, and I have ideas (from optics) about how stunningly beautiful objects like this came to be made around 1250bce.
pylos-combat-stone-agate.jpg

The Umbrella Academy.

3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Story has some issues, but the production value is high for a made for streaming snow.
If nothing else, this show has an amazing soundtrack.
I'm 4 episodes in, and yeah, I'm having an increasingly-large plot issue, but overall I think it's great. (It's been forever since I read the comics; I can't remember having the same issue with the plot, so either the comic didn't have the same problem or it resolved it to my satisfaction, eventually.)

Spoiler :
That the world is ending in only 8 days doesn't seem to be a very important plot point. Number 5 hasn't told anyone other than Vanya yet, even though his siblings are literally retired superheroes, and Vanya herself doesn't seem to care much. If we were meant to understand that she didn't believe him, then they needed to set that up better, that Number 5 is prone to making up stories, or something. And Vanya doesn't seem so depressed that she simply doesn't care if the world ends.

Even if it was just for 2 seconds, I got a kick out of seeing Ellen Page and Peter Outerbridge together again. And the guy who plays Hazel is the guy who played Ed Kemper in Mindhunter - I'm usually good with faces, but I recognized his voice first.

I'll also give my endorsement to the soundtrack.

I'm 4 episodes in, and yeah, I'm having an increasingly-large plot issue, but overall I think it's great. (It's been forever since I read the comics; I can't remember having the same issue with the plot, so either the comic didn't have the same problem or it resolved it to my satisfaction, eventually.)

Spoiler :
That the world is ending in only 8 days doesn't seem to be a very important plot point. Number 5 hasn't told anyone other than Vanya yet, even though his siblings are literally retired superheroes, and Vanya herself doesn't seem to care much. If we were meant to understand that she didn't believe him, then they needed to set that up better, that Number 5 is prone to making up stories, or something. And Vanya doesn't seem so depressed that she simply doesn't care if the world ends.

Even if it was just for 2 seconds, I got a kick out of seeing Ellen Page and Peter Outerbridge together again. And the guy who plays Hazel is the guy who played Ed Kemper in Mindhunter - I'm usually good with faces, but I recognized his voice first.

I'll also give my endorsement to the soundtrack.

I didn't think the plot was all that great. But still, it was overall a worthwhile and entertaining watch.

Forgot to mention that I also finished Russian Doll over the weekend. I loved it. I read that Natasha Lyonne pitched 3 seasons, which confuses me more than the show did. It seemed pretty final to me. That is, if there's more to the story, then this first season isn't what I thought it was, in which case I don't know what the f*** it was about.

Lots of people compare the show to Groundhog Day because of the obvious similarity in the format, but I actually think it was more like a completely different movie:
Spoiler :
Jacob's Ladder

Yes, I'm kind of spoiling Jacob's Ladder if you haven't seen it, but screw it, the movie's almost 30 years old. I think the statute of limitations has passed.

I think I've caught up with Disney's disjointed displaying of the Miraculous Ladybug second season.
I more or less have, but the idiots could just display it in order. *sigh*

Pilot episodes of Whiskey Cavalier and The Enemy Within

Meh. They're both more of the same stuff that the major networks produce over and over. Both are doing the "mismatched partners" thing, and both episodes had major pilot-itis. Whiskey Cavalier has more of a light, buddy-cop tone. I think it's aiming for the Castle audience, but Scott Foley and Lauren Cohan didn't gel the way Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic did. I couldn't even get through half of it. It wasn't nightmarishly bad, but I can't watch more than a couple of shows in a night, and I was getting bored. The Enemy Within is more of a dark thriller, and Jennifer Carpenter and Morris Chestnut seemed to be clicking better, right out of the gate. I actually got through the whole episode, formulaic as it was. FBI. The Blacklist. Blindspot. Designated Survivor. Is Quantico still on? I guess if you just want to put your feet up for an hour after the kids are down, or whatever, either of these shows would do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom