Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the subject of The Expanse has already been broached... some other shows I'm looking forward to:

April 1 - Legends of Tomorrow, season 4
April 5 - The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, season 2
April 7 - Killing Eve, season 2

I guess that's it for April. I thought there was more. Maybe I'm forgetting something. Killing Eve is definitely the highlight for me. Those other two are fun, but not save-the-date stuff. btw, there seems to be no premiere date yet for season 4 of The Expanse. "When it's done", I guess.

I love the scale this show operates on, it's so big but so personal. I love it.
I just finished Caliban's War (Book 2), which went beyond where S2 left off, and started on Abaddon's Gate. So I'm curious: does S3
Spoiler :
bring Detective Miller (Thomas Jane) back from the dead
as well?

Much as I hate Amazon's monopolism, that might actually make it worth paying to watch S3 — and later S4 — on Prime (if we can do that without buying a subscription to everything else).

I just finished Caliban's War (Book 2), which went beyond where S2 left off, and started on Abaddon's Gate. So I'm curious: does S3
Spoiler :
bring Detective Miller (Thomas Jane) back from the dead
as well?
If you want the answer in advance:
Spoiler :
Yes, he comes back in his protomolecule-ghost form. There's a funny moment where Holden tells protomolecule-Miller to stop speaking in riddles, so protomolecule-Miller starts to lay out the physics of what he's describing, and Holden is like, "Okay, nevermind, go back to the riddles."

Much as I hate Amazon's monopolism, that might actually make it worth paying to watch S3 — and later S4 — on Prime (if we can do that without buying a subscription to everything else).
I think they've added, or will be adding, an option to pay for the streaming service by itself, on a month-by-month basis.

"Breaking Bad". Already watched four seasons and now I am well into the 5th one. The chemistry bits somewhat exaggerated but very good stuff in general. However I would tittle it "How to be a Moron and then Fix the Mess in the Last Moment"

I started watching a Canadian show called Cardinal. It stars Billy Campbell and Karine Vanasse, who reminds me a little of Linda Cardellini. The show is a grim murder mystery. It reminds me of the American remake of The Killing. Billy Campbell was in that too, come to think of it, but in Cardinal he's playing Mireille Enos' role.

I also finished the first season of Babylon Berlin. I'm glad I didn't start the first season until the second season was also available, because the ending of season 1 is very abrupt and doesn't seem to wrap up very much of anything. I would've hated that ending, if I'd had to wait for season 2 (that reminds me of The Killing again... sheesh, the ending of that show's first season practically started a riot :lol: ).

Heck, maybe I should watch The Killing again.

Wait, the second season of Babylon Berlin is out?

Netflix really doing me dirty right now. :mad:

Yesterday finished Breaking Bad. The ending was not disappointing at all as in most other series. It was perfect. This series goes from less to more, not lows and highs here not weak episodes (well, maybe the one with the fly). I proudly claim Breaking Bad wins the prestigious Thorgalaeg's BEST SERIES EVER trophy.

Last edited:
:eek: Don't say me they are going to revive Walter please.

If so, he will need to cook a meth so pure it cures cancer.

Evidently Viola Davis and Nnedi Okorafor are teaming up to do an adaptation of some Octavia Butler novels for Amazon. It's probably years away, and I'm sure there any number of pitfalls to fall into betwixt page and screen, but I'm still excited. :)

I just binged through For the People from start to date and found it far better than the average courtroom drama series fare.

I just binged through For the People from start to date and found it far better than the average courtroom drama series fare.
I didn't even give that one a try, judging the proverbial book by its cover. I looked it up on Hulu after your recommendation, but they only have the last 5 episodes. Is the first season available to stream anywhere?

I had the same initial reaction to New Amsterdam: "Hooray, another network hospital show. Boy, there sure aren't enough of those... *eyeroll*" But I was home sick a few weeks ago (irony alarm) and I didn't have the mental energy to really pay attention to any of the stuff on my watch lists, and I ended up watching like 10 episodes in 2 days. In the same way that The Orville is like ST:TNG fan-fiction, New Amsterdam is basically E.R. fan-fiction, and it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

I didn't even give that one a try, judging the proverbial book by its cover. I looked it up on Hulu after your recommendation, but they only have the last 5 episodes. Is the first season available to stream anywhere?

I had the same initial reaction to New Amsterdam: "Hooray, another network hospital show. Boy, there sure aren't enough of those... *eyeroll*" But I was home sick a few weeks ago (irony alarm) and I didn't have the mental energy to really pay attention to any of the stuff on my watch lists, and I ended up watching like 10 episodes in 2 days. In the same way that The Orville is like ST:TNG fan-fiction, New Amsterdam is basically E.R. fan-fiction, and it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

I caught season one during the "season two is starting so make it available on On Demand" period. I don't know where else it would be.

One thing that makes it interesting, which I'm starting to see filtering into the cop procedurals, is that it has already had a few episodes exploring the gross flaws in the system. For a long time, despite the "liberal bias" that Hollywood is always accused of having, cop shows have been the greatest support platform for 'abandon your rights voluntarily' in existence. When cops show up; only the guilty need a lawyer, there is always a good outcome when consent is given to a search they have absolutely no business conducting, etc etc etc. For the People has some courtroom drama to it, but mostly cases are resolved in the realistic making of deals...with all concerned understanding that no one really cares about actual guilt.

I also gave New Amsterdam a shot without great optimism. I think I had the first five episodes recorded before I got around to watching it. It made the cut, in that I didn't stop recording it, but I think that as a show it is very much like the hospital it presents...it all rides on one human dynamo; Ryan Eggold. Any time he is off screen it seems like the whole thing is in danger of lagging to a complete stop. I don't know if the rest of the cast is just weak, or if the writers have Max so stuck in their minds that when the plot moves off of him they fall off their game or what, but to me it seems like two different shows.

I finished Lucifer last night.

The first season was spectacular. Second season was pretty good. Third season was... alright. It sort of dropped the ball. Don't get me wrong, still a good show, but it could have easily made much better decisions.

Since I watched it on Netflix, the bonus episodes were a bummer. I saw the finale and then saw there were two more episodes so I thought, hey, there's more! But then the next episode started playing and it was as though the finale never happened. Meh.

I'll probably watch the second season of The OA now. I've been waiting a very long time for this.

They're making a movie about what happens to Jesse after the finale.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...movie-is-a-sequel-starring-aaron-paul-1159128

Chad Coleman plays Klyden on The Orville? Shut the front door. I would never, in a million years, have recognized him.

I actually did recognize Peter Macon (Bortus) when I saw him somewhere else, but only because of his voice. That dude also has the best deadpan delivery since Tim Kang on The Mentalist.

"Bortus, what are you chewing?"
"It is called 'chewing gum.' On 21st-century Earth, it was an addiction-recovery aid."
"Is it helping?"
"It is not."

You probably have to see it to get the joke, but the guy friggin' slays me. Just thinking about it is making me laugh.

I started a second run of Farscape. I remember it gets a lot better in later seasons but even still the first season holds up as far as storytelling and enjoyability. Neither the puppets nor much of the CGI hold up well, on the other hand. Also the sound quality is garbage and everyone sounds like they're muffled for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom