1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? β'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

:rotfl:

Admittedly, if I hadn't seen it myself I'd probably not have thought it was funny either, but, yeah, the guy is deader than deadpan and freakin' hilarious.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Are you watching the remastered version?

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

No idea. It's just the free one on Amazon Prime. Probably not given the quality

I finished You on Netflix and it was definitely everything Dexter wishes it had been. The fundamental conceit of You - as well as the primary difference between it and Dexter - is that the protagonist doesn't seem himself as anything but a moral, upstanding guy. Dexter knew he was a monster, if a well-controlled one.

4. Synsensa

I'm pretty sure the one on Amazon Prime is the remastered version. Although maybe you have to specifically select the remastered...? I'm not sure. All I know is that I read an article last month about how Farscape's remaster was so great and how you could watch it through Prime.

I binged the entire first season of The OA yesterday. When I watched the second season of Medici I was annoyed that it had been so long since the first season and I didn't know what was going on. It kind of cramped my enjoyment. So I didn't make the same mistake with The OA and decided I'd rewatch the first season before starting the second. It was a good choice. Really compelling narrative. I hope the second season is similar.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

I'm about to get started on The Expanse.

Kyriakos, tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

#belterproblems

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  7. Synsensa

The OA, season 2. A little worse than the first season. It was still very good, and quite trippy, but it didn't have as much oomph as the first did. I chalk this up to the second season trying the same slow narrative intro as the first. This doesn't work, IMO, because you're already familiar with the show's premise and you want to see what you came for. Because of that, the first couple episodes are a little weak. In an 8-episode series, that's not a great thing.

But it was quite good overall. It still made a comfortable 8/10 for me.

I'm starting The Expanse right now as well.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I'm about half way through S3 of the expanse and I think this is my favorite season yet.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

I'll have to catch up with you… but only after I'm done with Drowtales, I think, because TVTropes has a reference to that comic in every single page, it seems, and it's getting a bit tiresome to just have to avoid spoilers.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Synsensa

I've just watched all three seasons of The Expanse. This is one of those shows that started off weak and got better as it aged, sort of like Game of Thrones.

The first season was really... I don't know, average? I gave it a 7/10 but only just. I could be just as comfortable with a 6. Season two was a little better. Season three was really good.

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Animal Planet just had a gripping show about a California wildfire closing in on a facility housing hundreds of retired show biz critters: lions, wolves, monkeys, a black panther, etc. The rescuers came with vans, scores of cages, and 20 vets who are suffering from PTSD. With skyscraper-high flames closing in, all the animals were sedated, loaded up and saved. It was great therapy for the vets because they had to put aside their own problems and focus on helping others.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Synsensa

I'm trying to watch Westworld again. I bailed on it after three episodes a couple years ago. I just finished the first three episodes once more and... I feel myself fading again.

I'll probably try and force it. See if it gets better. I don't know. I kind of feel like I only enjoy HBO shows when I'm experiencing it alongside the hype. I tried re-watching Game of Thrones and I found the first few episodes mindnumbingly boring, but I seemed to enjoy the show just fine when it first came out. I never interacted with the hype surrounding Westworld and I'm not enjoying it.

Not a significant enough sample size, but the thought is there.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

It isn't good, actually. And s2 was terrible.

Synsensa likes this.
  14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I had the same issue with Westworld; watched the first 3 episodes, got distracted, never went back. I didn't think it was terrible, but it didn't impress me. Whatever so many people love about it, I didn't see. But, then, I think CSI: Miami was the most popular show in the world for a time, so what do I know?

Synsensa likes this.
  15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Thanks guys. I also watched the first few and said meh. Always wondered if I should go back and give it another goal. Nice to know I should waste my time on something else. There's always civ IV. ;)

Synsensa likes this.
  16. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I've somehow started to binge Hell's Kitchen while I wait for new seasons of shows I already like.

Synsensa likes this.
  17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It's always amazing when they show them all relaxing in the chef's apartment of how many of them smoke.
    You would think that chef's wouldn't want to diminish their senses of taste and smell.

18. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Must be the stress, but it's really funny how the contestants sometimes fail at the blind taste tests. How do you mistake mussels for spinach ?

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

By smoking for 20 years.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I hated Westworld. I saw the first episode and didn't care for the gratuitous violence and suggested sexual violence. I could see that was going to be a major feature of the show and didn't bother going forward. I wouldn't say I was bored but then again I was sufficiently disinterested in the story that I couldn't get over the violence - and I watch and play a lot of violent media already so it's not like I was taking a stand on principle.

Kyriakos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.