1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? β'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. civvver

civvver Deity

Westworld is overrated for sure. The twist was not that twisty/pretty easy to spot, and overall it just lacked hmm, imagination? I guess? It was just like any tropey, sentient AI kind of movie. It's not awful but it's one of those shows I would watch only during months when I have nothing else to see, which is rare.

I finally finished season 3 of better call Saul. Things are getting pretty interesting now, especially the drug cartel business. Some tense episodes. I just wonder how it's all going to turn out, if Jimmy is going to drag Kim down with him or if she'll escape some how, cus she clearly knows some of the illegal things he gets up to.

I watched the first episode of a new Netflix series Our Planet. It's indistinguishable from any BBC nature series like Planet Earth or the Human Planet, which is good, and it even has the same narrator. But it's not as good as those. It seems to lack a theme and just be a lot of random footage strewn together with a big emphasis on climate change. I wonder if that will remain for the rest of the series or was just an introduction. It looks like the following episodes focus more on one area like deserts or forests, similar to the Planet Earth stuff. Easy watching on my lunch hour.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Season 2 of Killing Eve started this past weekend. I continue to be impressed with Jodie Comer, who I hadn't ever seen before this show. One of the great charismatic villains, up there with Mads Mikkelsen in Hannibal and Vincent D'Onofrio in Daredevil (and I was about to also name Keri Russell in The Americans, but I guess she was more of an anti-hero). Fiona Shaw has the best deadpan lines, though. I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff featuring her character, provided the writing was as good. The show was picked up for a 3rd season before the proverbial ink was dry on season 2.

3. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    My wife and sons started watching that series earlier this week. I watched an episode with them this evening. Climate change was mentioned more than once.

But, I don't think that's a bad thing -- considering that warming is now measurably screwing up (oceanic) ecosystems, pretty much worldwide.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

What I don't understand is how people can watch shows like this, read about it in the papers at least once a week, or hear about it on the nightly news and not eventually start to think that there might be something there.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Any nature documentary that's not hitting you over the head with "this is probably the last generation that will see all this" is probably not worth watching.

6. civvver

civvver Deity

The other bbc ones don't really do that. They'll mention stuff in passing, but this netflix one seems like it's trying to push an agenda. I just want to be entertained! I'll watch climate change documentaries if that's what I'm looking for. I find all the animals fascinating and the panoramic shots of jungles and stuff beautiful and relaxing.

7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Of course it's pushing an agenda - that climate change will be a disaster for our rich eco-diversity and that we are currently living through another mass extinction.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

You realize that this is an agenda too right?

9. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

I suppose I sympathize with the idea that you just want to look at pretty things instead of hearing about how all the pretty things are dying. Although I'm not sure I'd call that an "agenda", per se...

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Periodically I watch a new show (or drink a new drink or listen to a new band or walk a new street) without knowing anything about it, free of expectation. This time it was In the Dark on The CW. I had never heard of it before, and I watched it because I liked the logo.

Spoiler :

See? Cool logo. Anyway, it was a pilot and had a severe case of "pilot-itis", pummeling the audience with plot threads and character introductions. It was alright, though. It's about a depressed, blind woman who drinks too much and resents almost everybody. Even her dog, although she softens on him by the end of the first episode. It's going for the charismatic anti-hero thing, sort of "Dr. House-meets-Veronica Mars." Jessica Jones, basically, without the super powers. And she's blind. Hrm. Dramatic overkill, but okay, I'll ride with it for a bit, just to see where it goes. (And I'm not sure the actress has Krysten Ritter's gift for snark, but then, who does? Answer: Hugh Laurie.) It does too much in the first episode, a key symptom of pilot-itis. It quickly introduces a murder mystery that was kind of unnecessary. A drama about a complicated woman isn't enough of a hook, I guess, gotta throw in a dead body. I also wanted to see more of the character who bought the farm, and now I'm scared that they're going to hit us with *groan* flashbacks. I haven't decided yet whether I'll watch it some more, but I won't be shocked if I do. Even if it's just "Jessica Jones lite", that might still be okay.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. Synsensa

Very cool logo. :mischief:

I kept watching Westworld. It has gotten better, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's become good. One of the twists was kind of interesting, but the general direction the story is going right now isn't all that enticing. I have a couple episodes left in the first season. I'll probably watch the second season, unless the cliffhanger is insulting. :lol:

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Hey, in my browser it shows as an all-white broken piece of paper. Your logo's cooler than mine.

Back to what's important, Charmed still does hold up even with the slightly dated special effects.

13. Synsensa

So I finished season 1 of Westworld and the cliffhanger was really... *sigh*. Stupid? I don't know. It felt like they thought they were being clever with it.

I'm a couple episodes into season 2 and they're just doubling down on it. My interest is basically zero at this point. I kind of want to move onto something else, but I also feel like it'd be very easy to redeem the story and maybe they'll do just that if I keep watching. But that's probably a false hope.

I wouldn't know what show to move onto. Maybe Merlin.

14. civvver

civvver Deity

I warned you. It's very typical AI tropey stuff, nothing new, somewhat well executed but not all that interesting.

Synsensa and Kyriakos like this.
  15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Westworld s2 is to WW s1 what Independence day2 is to 1. First was decent for what it was, second is a train-wreck and ruins what little good the first had going for it.

Synsensa likes this.
  16. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I think that one of the good points of Independence Day was that they took it as a caper film so it being a one-off made it good.

17. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Independence Day currently holds the record for the most amount of model shots in a film.

hobbsyoyo and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, i barely managed to watch the first 3 seconds of the first season trailer of Russian Doll. :shake:

19. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Now on Hell's Kitchen season 18.
    Binging a reality/competition show that's been running for 18 years is quite an experience. Absolutely fascinating to watch the development fom trashy to more serious and then to a different kind of trashy.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The Expanse isn't hard sci fi by any chance but they do their best to get the little things right. There was an episode where a bunch of people on a ship got injured and the ship could not accelerate to create artificial gravity. Because of the lack of gravity, their internal wounds would not drain correctly and they were all going to die. The little thing they got right here is that everyone on the ships use magboots to walk around but that is not the same as acceleration/gravity and the show made as much clear. I'm not even sure the whole 'internal wounds being lethal in 0 g; thing is true but I like the fact that they sweat the details.

Kyriakos and Synsensa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.