1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? β'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

It's better than Queen Amidala's ship being full of packing cases each with its own micrograv device that somehow makes the clothes hang down straight but doesn't make the ship warp around it, so I'll think of that as encouragement to watch the series.

2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Let me see, I guess tonight I'm gonna watch reruns of I love Lucy. Nothing else seems to be on.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

Saw the first episode of the new Game of Thrones season. Wasn't really planning on watching it so soon after airing (if you can call the day after "soon"), but the writing group I'm a part of doesn't understand the idea of spoilers and I didn't want to mute them all.

It was actually pretty good.

I'm also watching Merlin. Not sure how to feel about it. Every single episode thus far is just "Magical Monster of the Week tries to kill [Merlin/Arthur/Supporting Character]", rinse and repeat. I've been told the show gets an actual storyline in the second season so I'm trying to tough it out. Show's feel is peak mid-2000s.

4. civvver

civvver Deity

I like Peaky Blinders. A lot. And I appreciate short seasons. And being on netflix so I can easily download it. HBO go needs this feature.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I guess it says something about the state of television these days - maybe about our culture generally - that The Magicians is my favorite show right now, and I don't know a single other person who watches it.

The Magicians spoilers, through the season 4 finale.
    Spoiler :
    Jason Ralph has confirmed that he's done. Out. Peace. He's moving back to New York, wants to do something on a stage and play with his dog.

Given how insane the show has been throughout its run, I didn't really believe Q was really dead while I was watching the episode, and I feel like maybe that blunted the emotional impact of the closing scenes for me. I honestly didn't think "Hey, he's really dead" until Penny-40 handed him the Metro card and he went through the door. Even then, I was thinking, "Gosh, I wonder how the writers will get around this when they start working on season 5." But the actors and the VPs have confirmed that he's really gone. I may watch it again, knowing how it ends may change the experience.

In two different reviews I read this morning, the reviewer said she didn't like that Q and Alice reconciled (both reviewers happened to be women, I don't know if that's more than just a coincidence, or if women reacted differently to Q&A than I did - like I say, I don't know a single person who watches this show). Maybe I'm a sap, but I liked seeing them begin to rebuild that bridge, and I was looking forward to a romantic triangle in season 5, with Eliot. Is that too obvious? I don't think so, because the writers set it up so well. That "C" follows "A" and "B" doesn't mean it was poorly-written; frequently, it's just the opposite, that "A" and "B" are so well-written that nothing besides "C" would make any sense. It's a moot point now, though. I do wonder if Q's death could prove to be a bond between Alice and Eliot, who have never had any stories together, to my memory. I don't know if the two of them have ever had so much as a conversation. With Q gone, Alice has no real friends or allies in the core group.

I also feel like Q and Eliot never got a resolution, which I thought was a bummer. The reviews I read seemed to like that, that it was a bittersweet ending, with Eliot tossing the peach into the fire, but I wanted to see at least one more scene with the two of them after The Monster had been banished.

Also, I'm wondering, are Fen and Josh also gone? I hope not. I liked both of them. I kind of wanted to see more of Fen running wild in New York. :lol: I knew that was a digression the show didn't have time for, though. Maybe someone could write a 'webisode' or something.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I finished S3 of The Expanse and I kind of hate the direction the show is going. I'll do a write up later but I think now it's only a matter of time before:
    Spoiler :
    sex-crazed blue alien chicks show up

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

That's a bad thing? :confused:

hobbsyoyo and rah like this.
  8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yes because it goes against what I like about the show - namely that it was hard-ish sci fi. The ending of S3 opens the door to star trek world, which is fine on its own but not really The Expanse as I've come to enjoy it. I promise I'll get around to a more comprehensive write up soon but it boils down to the fact that

Spoiler :
    I really like things confined to the solar system and focusing on the power dynamics between the various human groups. If I wanted more blue alien chicks and exploring the flip side of wormholes, I would watch Star Trek or something.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The solar system is enormous and what I love about The Expanse is that we get to explore every corner of it and see the kind of peoples who might one day inhabit it. There are a lot of factions and a lot of interesting dynamics between them. The show is definitely fiction, but it's broadly plausible. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the main proto-molecule story arc to begin with and have always been more drawn to the technical and social aspects of the series. But now

Spoiler :
    They have an entire universe to explore which more than likely means we're going to be seeing alien species pop up Once that happens, the center of gravity for the story will move from the sun to out in the galaxy. I assume aliens are going to show up and all the dynamics between the human factions will take a back seat. I also expect the technology to get more whimsical and less realistic.

I hope I'm wrong about all that - certainly the show has surprised me before - but I guess we'll see.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Of all things, Seth MacFarland and The Orville came up with the first really unique take on the conundrums of time travel that I've seen in a long time. Highly recommended.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

The show for me was terribly disappointing. The books are so vast and complex the show cannot encompass them. I recall hearing that the show will not get a season 4.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I've loved the show up until this point. And I'm not sure I'm so much disappointed right now as I am (sus) about how it's going to unfurl from here.

It did get cancelled after season 3 but Amazon Prime picked it up for at least a 4th season.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I'm caught up with The Rookie up to Ep. 12. If the remaining episodes hold up to these standards, I hope there's a second season.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Another reason for my suspicion - the show is getting a bit trope-y.

Spoiler :
    How many times have extinct, galaxy-spanning 'old ones' species popped up in sci fi? Do we need another mass relay/star gate/wormhole system? I'd take cryo-volcano eruptions on Europa or acid-lead rain on Venus any day instead because it's unique to reality. I've seen star gates and aliens a million times. I've never gotten to see humans tribes going down diverging evolutionary paths and slugging it out with each other in the dark, empty corners of our solar system before this show. I want more of that and less of the other in The Expanse.

Speaking of star gates, I started watching SG-1 again. I'm only in Season 2 which is one I've seen before. I can't wait to get toward the very end when I stopped watching it.

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Didn't the show have an alien tribe already midway in s2? (it is where i stopped watching it).
    S1 also had an alien, but it was more of a weird Solaris type iirc.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I don't remember an alien tribe in s2. S1 had an alien and that sticks around through all the other seasons before being resolved in S3. Like I said the whole proto-molecule story arc was not my favorite part of the show (the proto-molecule is the alien).

I just saw a moving scene in Stargate SG-1. In that show, the Go'Auld are alien worms that can take over human bodies. There is one super-powerful alien bad guy named Apophis that is a Go'Auld. In the episode I'm watching, Apophis is very sick and the alien worm releases control of the body, allowing the mind of the host to reemerge. It's very sad because the man is free after having been suppressed inside his own body for centuries, only to die moments after achieving freedom.

The man was abducted from ancient Egypt and Daniel soothed him by promising him he will go through the various Egyptian afterlife steps and be reunited with his long dead wife and child. It was a surprisingly moving scene.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  17. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Hey, I do! :high5:
    And I'm enjoying it very much.

EDIT: Also watching the 2nd season of American Gods and getting slightly annoyed with it.
    Feels like they are trying to drag the book out across 3 or 4 seasons.
    The book, while excellent, is not that long and the extra padding they are coming up with is not that good.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    EgonSpengler likes this.
  18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

The Rookie ended season 1 with a bit of a dud, I thought. The stories in the preceding episodes were a lot more compelling than this one was, and the 'cliffhanger' didn't grip me at all. It's not a show I'd recommend unreservedly, but I'll probably watch a 2nd season, if there is one.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Don't spoil it, please, tonight's episode is Ep. 12 because of how syndication works.

20. jarred!

jarred! Prince

I read the books and then couldn't get through the first episode.

Birdjaguar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.