Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. How do they account for conflicting emotions like when someone is innocent re something, but due to chronic sense of guilt acts -including expressions, and i suppose also micro-expressions- as if they are guilty?
Or is this like bbc's Holmes with his "art of deduction" treatise in 2016 ^_^

It's usually discovered through some clever conversation between the protagonist and the suspect where he's grilling them about the crime and then he gets a satisfied expression on his face, going: "Wait a second, wait a second... this isn't your man! He's feeling guilty about something else!" and then it launches into a sidebar about the suspect's personal life and how he cheated on someone or did something naughty.

Happens every episode. :lol:

I'm rewatching Eastbound & Down, and I'm on the best season, Season 3. This show is so freakin' good.

I love that show. So underrated. Or maybe just so unknown/not popular. I don't know anyone who watches it.

I tried the new season of archer but episode one was so boring. It better improve quick.

I tried a newer show off hbo called Barry and it is freakin amazing. It's a very dry humor like making fun of itself and the characters, not so much laugh out loud funny. It many ways it reminds me off eastbound and down although the genres and actors are entirely different. It's got Bill Hader playing a hit man having a crisis and he starts taking an acting classes cus he's depressed. Chaos ensues. Really good three episodes in but the dry style won't be for everyone. My wife watched it and was like what's the big deal?

I also watched a couple of the netflix castlevania cartoon. It's a little overly gory. It's really short so we'll see if the end is better.

I haven't started it yet, but Luke Cage season 2 will be taking up a lot of my weekend.

I note that Lucy Liu, Clark Johnson, and Salli Richardson-Whitfield are listed among the directors. I know that Johnson has been directing for a while, but I didn't realize Richardson-Whitfield was in the big chair now.

Last edited:
I hope it has a better arc than season 1. Perhaps the trailer shows it. I've learned better than to watch season trailers. :lol:
Yeah, I thought season 1 was great in the first half and then took a nose-dive. And don't ever believe trailers. I think they can be fun to watch (Rakim ftw!), but they lie more often than the President.

West World: Better than all other series examining AI issues put together.

Oldies on loop while we have colds and blowing our noses every 10 seconds which makes
it seem like Cleopatra is about to arrive...

Mayo
Keen Eddie
All watched over by machines of loving grace

It's main premise is imo just false, though. They present it as possible to have pure AI (not tied to dna) get emotions, and (later on) also some type of sentience. Imho this is impossible.
Impossible? That's a big assumption when it comes to the future of AI. I'm not saying there aren't logical plot holes on the tech in the series but I'm not sure I'd say that is one of them.

edit: also part of the premise of the series is the dilemma on whether the hosts really are sentient beings or not. This is mostly presented as an open question and is an interesting aspect of the series.

The start of WW season 2 was predictably somewhat slow but the last couple of episodes have imo been quality. I hope (and assume) and an ending to the plot is thoroughly planned so not to turn into Lost. /shudders

Last edited:
^I think they will do good to finish the series this season. Not seeing what a season3 would include, unless it turns into something bloated (imo already season2 had signs of that, with a few characters there for comedic effects :) ).
Re AI: i think that not even having a sense at all can be possible for pure AI (AI tied to dna is different, of course; that can have whatever).

(tied discussion, in a thread from 2017...: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lets-be-real.614692/page-3#post-14737829)

Sure but you say the series' main premise is that AI can be sentient beings. I think that's incorrect. The main premise/theme/whatever is whether that's an open question or not. If you say it's not then you're in line with most of the humans in the show.

Sure but you say the series' main premise is that AI can be sentient beings. I think that's incorrect. The main premise/theme/whatever is whether that's an open question or not. If you say it's not then you're in line with most of the humans in the show.

Maybe. But imo nothing gives the impression that all hosts in the show are just some turing machine which has no emotion/sense. I would be pleasantly surprised if that is going on, but up to now no one claims that; in fact everyone claims that the hosts at least feel stuff, which imo is not possible for pure AI :)

Clarke's First Law says that "when a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

It's main premise is imo just false, though. They present it as possible to have pure AI (not tied to dna) get emotions, and (later on) also some type of sentience. Imho this is impossible.

1. I think that's a fairly poor premise with which to dismiss the show.
I don't know why you think DNA and sentience are necessarily linked in any
way. What about 6-letter DNA, which is already available? Or is that too cheesy
a "dna-in-machina" for you? :)

2: I understand that some premises rankle and make it difficult to suspend
disbelief - for me time travel, FTL, being able to power out of the
gravitational well of our solar system, let alone the Milky Way's within the
next few millenia, are laughable. If the characters are enjoyable and the script
is coherent I can enjoy the show, but I'm always on edge about the basis of that
show.

Star Trek is execrable scifi, and the introduction of Q condemned the early
series to the abyss that contains Dr Who, pretty well all super-hero movies,
and other similar trash.

3: I don't know why there is such an emphasis in "AI shows" and in a lot of AI
research for trying to emulate human-like capabilities. That's aiming far too
low in ability, and IMO (agreeing with K.) that it is probably impossible with
crude DNA combinations or other biochemical soups. They have to contain
development and experience over time, from conception and possibly with effects
and echoes from the genetic and actual history of earlier ancestors -
grandparents and, diminishingly, from early grand-grands etc...

And it's the reference to those echoes, back-stories and history which, to me,
makes West World far more thought-provoking than many others. ("Humans " started
out well but West World's crushing production and budget make it look almost 1D
by comparison.) The back-stories, and our shared experience of legends, TV shows,
movies, and books - hinted at many times and blatantly with references to
Kurosawa, Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 and Billy Pilgrim's confused timeline,
are a very clever way Nolan and Joy introduce those complexities. Meta story-writing?

5/5 - I laughed, I cried, sniff, I blew my nose every 10 seconds this week.

Legion is just sooo boring. Nothing really happens. Anyone else watching? I am on episode 9 and I want to finish but it's a chore. So sad since season 1 I was riveted the whole time.

Just finished binge watching the last half season of Lucifer. Happy to see they regained some of the magic from the first season since this season started out so meh. Just heard it was cancelled and was hoping for some closure as they ended the Caine story line only to find the last two episodes aired to be totally out of sequence and added zippo. Too bad, I really enjoyed the show for at least 1 1/2 seasons.

Legion is just sooo boring. Nothing really happens. Anyone else watching? I am on episode 9 and I want to finish but it's a chore. So sad since season 1 I was riveted the whole time.

My impression during season 1 was that they were more concerned with aesthetic than story. Was that even worse in season 2?

My impression during season 1 was that they were more concerned with aesthetic than story. Was that even worse in season 2?

Yes it's horrible. Season 1 there was still this mystery of the shadow king. Season 2 they're basically just playing a lot of mind games that make no sense and don't amount to much. Like 20 minutes of episode 8 was a tri split screen of david and syd wandering the desert trying to beat oliver on a rickshaw to some secret location. I am not joking. You watch david and syd walk through a desert in hipster clothes for 20 effing minutes.

I didn't listen to the sound cus I'm at work and it's muted but this clip is what I'm talking about, this is like 5 seconds of it. Should be starting at 9:10 minutes in. I can't get link at time to work, it keeps showing at 8:55, but the clip starts at 9:10.

Last edited:
6 episodes into Luke Cage. Enjoying it so far.

Yeah, I have so much to watch that I've drifted away from Legion. I plan to go back, but who knows..?

Just finished binge watching the last half season of Lucifer. Happy to see they regained some of the magic from the first season since this season started out so meh. Just heard it was cancelled and was hoping for some closure as they ended the Caine story line only to find the last two episodes aired to be totally out of sequence and added zippo. Too bad, I really enjoyed the show for at least 1 1/2 seasons.
Netflix is doing a 4th season of Lucifer. The showrunner noted that it'll let them spice up their language and raise the level of the horror aspect a little bit. I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, but that's another show I drifted away from, while planning to return someday. It needs more Mazikeen, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom